SAU Community

The Cool Tools Thread

Duncan

OK so the rivnut thing is sorted, got another query.

Who can suggest a good 1/2" cordless impact wrench? Something that can handly stubborn crank bolts.

Ingersold Rand make some f**king awesome gear in their 20v range but the charge accordingly....

Any ideas?

The Metabo (the german ones not the bunnings chinese shit) one is a nice piece of kit, but up there in price too

Cheers will check it out, any thoughts on where to buy? I realise I should just buy a compressor, but I like the portability of cordless IF it has enough grunt...

I thought of going air too, but I think cordless might be easier for me (novice diy). Went to VEK tools today and got some stuff, they do good deals!

Hows the rivnut set mate? I'll buy one by next week, just not sure which kit.

I thought of going air too, but I think cordless might be easier for me (novice diy). Went to VEK tools today and got some stuff, they do good deals!

Hows the rivnut set mate? I'll buy one by next week, just not sure which kit.

The one I bought is still enroute from UK -not cheap at about $250 delivered but as above still half the price of the Wurth kit and looks to be a very good tool (good reviews etc online). Only goes to M10 (Wurth goes to M12) but TBH I really can't see myself using much bigger than M6 and the occasional M8. Will let you guys know how it looks when it turns up.

The Metabo (the german ones not the bunnings chinese shit) one is a nice piece of kit, but up there in price too

Just did a quick browse. Metabo it looks like sell for $680 or so and 210nm max torque, the IR sells for about $800 but aroubd 1000nm max torque. For the sake of $100 or even $200 it's a MUCH better tool...

I have a Kincrome cordless rattle gun, it does the single wheel nuts on the Speads with no issues, and I use it every day in the workshop. https://www.kincrome.com.au/product/K13070/cordless-impact-wrench-19~2-volt-1~2~-drive I definitely didn't pay the retail price for it though!

I have a Kincrome cordless rattle gun, it does the single wheel nuts on the Speads with no issues, and I use it every day in the workshop. https://www.kincrome.com.au/product/K13070/cordless-impact-wrench-19~2-volt-1~2~-drive I definitely didn't pay the retail price for it though!

Saw this at VEK yesterday for $599. (Includes 2x batteries)

We need to do a tools group buy!!

I got a Dewalt rattle gun with two batteries and charger for <$400 in a sale, was Vek or Transquip or similar. If you dont need it urgently just get on the tool vendors mailing lists and wait until the next sale of a decent brand.

RE: Impact wrench

I bought a Milwaukee 1/2" a few months back and love it.

http://www.milwaukeetools.com.au/products/m18/show/hd18hiw-402c

I've historically used Snap-On impacts, but didn't want to pay for the name. The Milwaukee is as good (possibly better) then the Snap-On and MUCH cheaper.

Problem is they're rarely on sale at a super good price, so do a quick shop around and go with the cheapest. In the few months of looking around, all the tool places that had big sales would not discount the Milwaukee range.

I haven't had a fastener it struggled with yet, nor have I run out of battery, even after a full day of hard work.

Mark :)

I bought a while ago from total tools this model.

http://www.rivtec.co.nz/tools-and-nose-assemblies/tools-and-nose-assemblies-hand-operated-rivet-nut-tools

The model i purchaed was thr PNT-210 and works a treat. Lot cheaper then that wurth one and when they have there sales on u can get it even cheaper.

Think there is a store in Penrith.

I've had trouble with cheap timing lights reading double on the gtr, I ended up with a snap on one.

For the impact wrench I ended up going the Makita 18v one. Its not the best or torque-iest but has been sufficient for everything I've tried it on. More importantly thought they have a range of other 18v cordless stuff without batteries (skin only) at prices that I can afford to collect few different things at...I've got impact wrench, drill, screwdriver, recipro saw, line trimmer etc.

Stubborn balancer bolts are best removed with one of those "power bars" basically a long arm with a 1/2" socket fitting that you whack with a hammer...I'm sure they've been covered earlier in this thread.

post-8233-1393375502268_thumb.jpgpost-8233-13933755241433_thumb.jpgpost-8233-13933755398382_thumb.jpgpost-8233-13933755545189_thumb.jpgpost-8233-13933755696692_thumb.jpg

Picked up these two tool sets from Ebay. Ordered Sunday and delivered today, looking at the address the dealer is in Mt Kurangai.

First one was $43.99 for the 7 piece hose clamp plier set and the second (the sump tools) was $9.95 (all buy now prices)

For the price these are a steal although the seller didnt combine the postage which was no biggy.

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/231119061094

I saw one seller wanting $160 for the same thing

They also have some other tools as well I might have a closer look at.