SAU Community

The Cool Tools Thread

Duncan

On 17/04/2022 at 9:13 PM, luke gtr said:

Yep, they basically have a double thickness star point.

I swear they purely make different fasteners so they can sell more tools.

You telling me there's no reason to have a 5 star head, and 6 point torx will suffice?

Or having different Phillips head screws other than JIS?

On 19/04/2022 at 8:00 AM, Trex said:

You telling me there's no reason to have a 5 star head, and 6 point torx will suffice?

Or having different Phillips head screws other than JIS?

Basically they call if for "security", so people dont work on cars that dont know how.

I just believe in a big conspiracy. 

Ages ago I bought a 60 piece toolset that was supposed to do all these 'new' styles, triangle and 5 side 'allen head' types, torx pin and non pin, forked screwdriver blade etc etc...and I swear that as soon as I bought it, they just turned round and invented a whole new range of fasteners🤢

• 2 months later...

I'm no wood elf, but I was stripping varnish off some old furniture the other day, initially with paint stripper then sanding it down. Varnish clogs sandpaper like crazy, long before the actual medium is blunted.

I discovered this stuff, which is basically just a softish rubber stick, as long as it is not too glazed it pulls the varnish off the paper and makes basically like new again

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/g183

Main.jpg

• Like 1

I bought one of these

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/332892255127?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=542005549749&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

and then went straight out and bought another one. VERY handy if you have adjustable suspension arms; they're perfect for getting in there for making adjustments, then just tightening up with a Big Boy spanner when you're done.

• 9 months later...

Have heard of people trying to undo balancer bolts, and not using one of the flywheel locks, instead, jamming the car in gear... Broken gears has been the outcome on some cars...

On 4/10/2023 at 8:26 PM, MBS206 said:

Have heard of people trying to undo balancer bolts, and not using one of the flywheel locks, instead, jamming the car in gear... Broken gears has been the outcome on some cars...

I absolutely refuse to believe that.

Basically a static load. No way would it break a gear.

"Jamming the car in gear" or just, you know, putting it in gear.......

Very dramatic story.  Not believable.

• 5 months later...
On 10/04/2023 at 9:34 PM, Ben C34 said:

I absolutely refuse to believe that.

Basically a static load. No way would it break a gear.

"Jamming the car in gear" or just, you know, putting it in gear.......

Very dramatic story.  Not believable.

Ben, just keep in mind MSB also thinks hitting stuff with a hammer fixes everything.

I like Duncan bought the flywheel stopper and his engine lifting brackets.  I just bought boostdoc's engine stand adaptor, things great.

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Small, but great for little jobs

100% easier than sanding 99% of car brackets

I test drove it on a little section of the alloy wheels on the Honda that I want to repaint, works surprisingly well for a little job thingie

If you capture the garnet, the amount you get in the 1kg pack that comes with it should last a while

For $60 bucks it shits on hand sanding like a peasant

Going of my little test area, it should take me no more than 10 minutes a rim, the last set of alloys I sanded by hand, like a peasant, took at least an hour or more for each rim just to get all the clear coat off

Screenshot_20231208-181748.thumb.png.f318f337e4e039c1509cef132fa1fec2.png

• Like 4