SAU Community

The Cool Tools Thread

Duncan

4 hours ago, ActionDan said:

The pin/hinge and adjusting knob interest me, how have you got that setup and where'd you source the bits? 

It's just a cheap one off Ebay- 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331881988969

I chose this one as it comes with the thread in the base of the mounting post. 

I bought a threaded rod and nuts if I need a longer adjuster. 

• 1 year later...

It’s just dumb to have such similar designs that are only half compatible…

This is my latest tool “investment“.  I’ll use them for everything I’m assembling that I take photos of to put on Insta (ie. nothing….)  On Project Binki they call them the “show spanners!”

I’ve wanted them for ages so finally convinced myself they’re worth it when they’re actually totally not but meh. 🤷🏼‍♂️

C57E2752-7099-4991-A638-08806028BA12.thumb.png.f2d2fbdb6934e3adb98fbf8eff6d68d1.png

D6431D86-636F-4891-9580-8839F5278742.thumb.png.77fda2ecf996da1794c48c01528ad1d1.png

• Like 1

On 28/12/2021 at 1:27 PM, Ben C34 said:

When you realise how Phillips head is designed to cam out when the torque is high it is f**king ridiculous it is still in use.

Must be cheaper to make...I would have thought that they would all go to allen key head or even torx...wish that they did, its easy to chew out a phillips/posidrive/jis head with a drill or impact driver.  Both doing up and undoing, lost count of the times I've had to use a dremel and cut a slot into a screw or bolt then 'shock' it out with a manual impact driver to get it out.

On 28/12/2021 at 9:08 PM, MrStabby said:

FYI for info on the phillips/JIS/Posidriv/Torx/etc options  check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

Looks like the 'Vessel' brand does JIS, anyone have other suggestions on brand (or shop)?

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637750680/4pc-jis-screwdriver-set

• Like 1

On 30/12/21 at 9:09 AM, Duncan said:

But, where do you ever come across JIS fasteners? Not in a Nissan thankfully.

And those long spanners are nice to use, but they just aren't feasible in most tight locations. 

They’re like most specialty spanners ( S, C, stubby, ratcheting, high offset, etc) they’re shit for 95% of normal spanner jobs and absolutely essential for the 5% of situations where nothing else works. THAT is why you buy them, not for the presumption that 1 spanner fits all.  I have a stupid amount of different spanner sets now of which I will probably only use about 10% of but I’m sure you’ve been in a situation where nothing fits and it sucks balls.  I’ve wasted hundreds of dollars to avoid that incredibly rare situation but I think I just like collecting spanners! 😂 I should take a pic of all my different sets as I think I might even scare myself once I laid them all out….

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Have not seen many electrical tools mentioned so here are two I like. I'll see what else I can come up with.

1. Connecter depinning tools. I often see people stabbing away with a flat screwdriver only to crack and destroy their old connectors.

2. Cable tie gun. This will tighten and cut cable ties in one shot. Very practical and quick when you have 100's to do. 

IMG_20220102_184746.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/28/2021 at 5:52 PM, tridentt150v said:

Must be cheaper to make...I would have thought that they would all go to allen key head or even torx...wish that they did, its easy to chew out a phillips/posidrive/jis head with a drill or impact driver.  Both doing up and undoing, lost count of the times I've had to use a dremel and cut a slot into a screw or bolt then 'shock' it out with a manual impact driver to get it out.

Wait until you realise there's now a fastener/driver made called Torx Plus, and a Torx driver fits Torx plus heads. But under hogh torque will strip the driver or head...

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/03/2022 at 9:34 PM, MBS206 said:

Wait until you realise there's now a fastener/driver made called Torx Plus, and a Torx driver fits Torx plus heads. But under hogh torque will strip the driver or head...

Yep, they basically have a double thickness star point.

I swear they purely make different fasteners so they can sell more tools.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1