SAU Community

Stock BOV Plumback removal

Sweetr33, as RedDrifter said, that "fluttering" is the air going back into the turbo. A lot of the VLs sound like this because they didn't come out with BOVs. More boost=more fluttering and that's not real good for your turbo (turbo goes from high rpm to low rpm as the air resonates back towards your turbo).

The whole point of a BOV is to prevent this so the pressure is taken off you turbo!!

I wouldn't disconect the BOV for real long if you're boosted!

well im running 13 psi through stock turbo n cooler etc. But yeah obviously full boost isnt released through the turbo all the time. I realise that the noise im hearing is compressor surge but i enjoy the noise and intend on keeping it for awhile....cheers

when i tried this mod,i felt my car was more slugish, crappier gear changes and more likely to have the famous stalling problem. i now have a s-afc which can fix this problem, but like alot of ppl say, nissan put a bov there for a reason :)

When I replaced my BOV with an apexi atmo BOV I found the car to stall when comming off boost at the lights etc. To fix this I tightened the spring and now anything 3psi or lower the valve won't open and it get the fluttering sound.

I don't realy like the bov much as it gives my car the squid effect. :thumbdwn: Blows alot of black smoke between gear changes.

I found that a coke bottle top (600ml) will fit inside the hose you are trying to block off, and you can use the hose clamp to keep it in place.

I have tried this (Once) and it worked OK, a very loud BOV sound but it spluttered and cut out too often when I stopped (so i returned it back to stock)

PS Would the computer learn how to run with the blocked off pipe?? (given a bit of time)

I found that a coke bottle top (600ml) will fit inside the hose you are trying to block off, and you can use the hose clamp to keep it in place.  

Classic!! Think i might go get a 2L bottle of coke and go "supersonic." :wassup:

ecu cant learn to that extent, Basically the car has unmeter air entering the system, ie, air that hasnt passed through the air flow meter but its entering the system abit further down the line and therefor is unMETERED and the computer gets confused with whats happening, u can hear it changing revs and probably timing and mixtures slighty to compensate. I got sick of the stalling and reconnected it back up.

I found a solution pull the plumback pipe down so there is about .5- 7.5 of a cm gap between the pipe and the bov, but keep them inline so air can still flow and the sound can get out. I found very little idle and no stalling problems.

Give it a try.

ok now im confused!!! :s

what about when you get an aftermarky BOV that is not plumback......that line is then disconnected is it not????

I guess this is why i was going to get a GFB HYBRID

loud wooooosh but it also vent as a plumback

louder than some straight atmo BOVS i believe becauase of its venting capacity :D

dont know is this helps

Frosty, if you're going to get an atmospheric venting BOV you'll need atleast an SAFC or something similar to compensate for the fuel mixtures. And also "plug" the plumback hole in your intake pipe. It can be done but you might notice a power drop after changing gears if you're giving your car a bit (has to build up the pressure again that it released).

I have noticed the power loss after quick gear changes due to the overly rich mixtures. As for the pipe that was used for the return on the old BOV I just went to clark rubber an bought a rubber cap and hose clamped it on. I have worn riings and therefore get a fair bit of blowby and I get a fair amount of oil in the intake system which then is vented into the engine bay. Makes a slight messy engine bay over time.

Looks like that's about the only proper way to get some venting to the atmosphere Frosty. It only vents a small amount but the noise is a lot louder so it sounds like a fully atmospheric BOV. If you're into that sound, then i'd say it's the best way to go! Get the sound without the usual problems!

my car must be really weird then. i got my APEXi dual chamber bov the other week (came off a VR4 and conneted straight up) and blocked off that pipe with a 600ml coke lid and put the clamp back on and the car runs fine.. it doesn't stall at the lights, it fuels up alittle not much at all when it is at idle. so i don't know. i got a R32 GTS4.. before i got my bov a friend and i tryed to get it to blow flames out the exhaust by taking this pipe off. didn't work though

what if the afm was just before the plenum instead of just after the air filter?

sydneykid mentioned this random mod on some of the psycho drag gtr's in japan

would this counter act the stall "unmeasured" air coming in/out problem with amto/aftermarket bovs?