SAU Community

M35 Bov?

spoolin12

ok, i suppose i will give it a shot, if it will help with coming on boost earlier.

i was just more concerened about it casuing damage if not done with any other appropriate mods,

as far as i understand it'll have bad effects on the turbo causing early failure............

The bov still works fine with the grub screw in, all its doing is bypassing air back to the intake so there isnt a huge pressure differential when the bov opens. My car ran fine with it plugged, it also held boost better and this would help the turbo last by bringing shaft speeds down. Why compress all that air then bleed it off if you dont have to, especially if you are trying to hold over 20psi.

Just run a 5mm tap into the 4mm hole and stick a grub screw into it. :thumbsup:

(Wont fix farting noises, that would be either BOV piston seal or manifold to turbo gasket most probably)

If you had some way of tuning the ecu you could try and take out the fuel dump when the bov opens, I think the Emanage can do that to some extent, otherwise no, the air is metered and needs to remain in the system.

Realistically any car with airflow meters can't run atmo, only map sensored cars can which is why the epa made it illegal.

so do you no longer have it blocked scotty, or have you changed to an aftermarket setup?

is the factory turbo good for 20psi in your opinion?

is that as easy as fitting a wastegate bleed off valve on one of these?

I'm running Aaron's Turbosmart Kompact with the stiff spring at the moment, its quite snappy when backing off but feels good none the less. The stock one was working fine with the grub screw mod but it could be due to the tune.

I ran 19psi on the stock turbo for 4 or 5 months, don't do it unless you are prepared to replace the turbo obviously, although I have a spare here. :whistling:

To run high boost on the stock turbo, or any highflow version of it, you will need one of my modified actuators. That should hold around 15psi and allow over 22psi with a controller. Without the stiffer actuator it wont hold more than 14psi in the top end.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone actually figured out if this is a BOV problem?

I still have the exact same issue, and Im confident its something to do with the wastegate as you can hear it reverberate right through the exhaust. It literally sounds like its underneath you when driving. If you hold the throttle right when it happens you can make it fart as long as you want. I tried blocking my BOV and still had farts.

To me it sounds like the wastegate isn't opening properly or shuddering. It only farts under medium load. If i floor it it cannot fart - its like it opens properly then, but if im building boost up a hill slowly it happens most of the time....

Surely if it was BOV it would still fart when I floor it. It would fart at the same boost level everytime?

I want to fix this as it shits me!

Benny,

Did you get this sorted, your description is much closer to what my car is doing. Wastegate or BOV?

Chris

• 3 weeks later...