SAU Community

New To The World Of Skylines

i wouldn't buy any GTR for 10K! most likely it'll leave you disappointed as you'll probably need to sink big dollars into it just to get it going properly! most guys i know who own R32's eventually put the R33 motor and gearbox into them anyway! if it was me, i'd go the R33, but i am biased. however you cant ignore the fact of the much better, stronger and more reliable motor and gearbox the R33 has compared to the R32. the R33 also has bigger brakes (same as R32 GTR) which also makes a big difference.

Who would that be Luke? :D

Nothing beats an R32 GTST with R33 running gear for super fun happy driving enjoyment - Lighter than an R33 GTST with the extra torque and power of the 2.5L engine and a MUCH stronger box and a better chassis (in my opinion) meaning better handling.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would that be Luke? :blink:

Nothing beats an R32 GTST with R33 running gear for super fun happy driving enjoyment - Lighter than an R33 GTST with the extra torque and power of the 2.5L engine and a MUCH stronger box and a better chassis (in my opinion) meaning better handling.

also looks better and wont attract harpoons :P

^^^Ha........and all the things that add that weight are the very things R32 owners envy, bigger motor, better brakes, newer interior, extra leg room etc etc etc all add just a little bit of wieght but make a car not a billy cart!

No I think he wants an R32, he's into old cars............he wants one he can cut the rust out and restore!!!!

An r33 won't do it for him, too new and no rust.

rofl

How long can you wait to save an extra $3K for a stock R34 GT-T (circa 1998) like Andrew mentioned?

^^^Ha........and all the things that add that weight are the very things R32 owners envy, bigger motor, better brakes, newer interior, extra leg room etc etc etc all add just a little bit of wieght but make a car not a billy cart!

I'm not being a nit picker or anything :/

RB20's are stronger but older, also RB25's are lighter, gearbox is the same weight, and almost all 32 are type M's, so the calipers are the same weight. So the weight is in nothing we envy. Interior is newer but less huggy, you sit less in the car and more on it and what extra leg room, marginal in the back, but the front is the same

Quick Pro's and Cons

R32

+Chassis, Price, Weight, Smaller Size, Nimbleness, better suspension standard, Drivers Skyline, RB20 revability and strength, reliable if looked after well, boot space, sit in not on

-Age, lack of reliabilty if not looked after, RB20's lack of torque, High KM's,

Note 20 Gearbox aren't that weak, RB25 gearbox stronger though

R33

+Extra torque and Power, bigger car, more aftermarket support, Price, Newer

-Chassis, weight, Larger car, Need to spend more money on making them handle, Don't like to rev, Sit on not in, boot space

R34

+No bigger than 33, better Chassis than 33, newer, more refined, More power again (not buy much) looks, low KM's

-Price, Still heavy compared to 32, Still don't like to rev

I'm bored at work, so I'm gonna pick apart Reece's argument :/

The R32 gearbox is the same as the R31 box and yes, its not a weak box, but it is not strong either (I define a weak gearbox as the S15 6 speed). Give it some bad treatment and it wont last very long. The R33 gearbox is a big improvement over the old one and it will definately handle more punishment than its predecessor. Its what a lot of people use for moderately powered (400kw) RWD RB26 conversions. I read line that in an old HPI once, so there :D Another good argument for them is that mine is still going as strong as ever after all the skid pan and trackdays that i've done over the years! I'm surprised that you didn't mention the better diff that the R32 has....

You've listed price as a negative for the R34. I dont agree. For about $8000 you can get a fairly nice, stockish R32. For an R33 your looking at about $10,000 for a good one and for an R34 your looking at about $12,000 for a good stock one if you look around a bit. A difference of $4000 isn't that big of a gap for a much newer and better all round car. Saving money harder or for a little longer would be well worth it.

I reckon the R33 handles better than the R32 in stock form. I also reckon you dont need to spend more money on handling if you own an R33. For the same money you can get nearly the same parts for both models. Most coilovers are put into the same category by manufacturers, therefore making the price nearly the same. Also springs and shocks are pretty close too. If there is a difference in price, it wont be a big one. Of course feel free to correct me if I'm way off!

And the difference in weight isn't as big as everyone is making out to be. Its around the 150Kg mark give or take, which in terms of street cars isn't a huge difference. You wont notice it when driving around town. You might notice it at Wakefield Park after you've spent some money on the suspension along with good tyres and brakes. Even then, unless your doing 1.12's or less, you still wont notice a huge difference...

OK, moving away from there now, something else to think about with the R34 is the turbo. The R32 and R33 use a ceramic wheel turbo and can be boosted higher and more easily. The R34 uses a nylon wheel turbo which is much weaker than the others and can't be boosted without running into big problems. DriftGTS had an R34 turbo on his RB20 for a short while. He ran it at 10psi for about 4 weeks before completely destroying it! Yes he gave it a hard time, but it still would have happened sooner rather than later. I've been running 11psi on my standard R33 turbo for about 2 years now and its still going strong.

My 2 cents... Again! :) Yes I am bored...

now im going to pick on lukes a bit.

really only around 50kgs between the models, dont forget to add 20kgs for autos and 20kg+ for sedans

1992 R32 GTSt = 1320kg

1997 R33 GTS25t = 1370kg

2000 R34 GT-t = 1410kg

the34 turbo was going good for around a year at 11psi, only let go after snapping (and i mean snapping) 2nd with semi's. + i got it for a case of coke'a'cola as it was on its way out.

with the extra 30kw and 30nm between 32 and 33 (flywheel) and extra 100mm wheelbase you wouldn't notice the difference in weight, as luke said

why not a 32 gtr. might have a few kms on it so you better change the oil pump! but better then any gtst or gtt will every be! then you can save some money and build a monster...

I have to disagree with that... I have driven multiple GTR's and GTST's in the recent past and have found that you can have just as much fun (if not more) in an R32 GTS-T after spending far less money on it than if you were to get a GTR...

R32 GTR's are getting long in the tooth now and they have a lot more that can go wrong, meaning that there are more parts to replace when they wear out and they are more expensive when you do replace them.

Don't get me wrong, I love R32 GTR's (they're still my favourite) but you need deep pockets to own one these days (just ask GTRKat) :D

your just soft!! GTR always wins. its like an omega commonwhore vs a clubsport r8 :kiss:

Says the man who never drives his Supra... :D

The main thing everyone forgets about GTRs and R32s in particular. Sure the purchase price is cheap but many people can't afford the maintenance on them. If they're original turbos they're generally not far away from going, suspension is usually f**ked too.

I'm in the progress of turning mine into a monster but it can be slow progress depending on what your line of work is and what other expenses you have!

At the end of the day, it all depends on what the guy wants to buy! Maybe like many of us 32's are his favourite? Of course there's pros and cons to all of them.

My pinky (33) is loverly.... Mind you I saw a nice R32 painted in Champagne (lexus gold) with an RB30 n it for $13k.... I would go there... If I could afford that and Pinky :D *Mmmmmm daydreams about being able to afford both girls*

*Tis Melly*

the34 turbo was going good for around a year at 11psi, only let go after snapping (and i mean snapping) 2nd with semi's. + i got it for a case of coke'a'cola as it was on its way out.

I apologise for my error and I hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive this mis-information... :whistling:

Basically all the info I've heard about the R34 turbo is that it breaks more easily than its older sibblings when boosted. Probably helped if I actually spoke to an R34 owner! :teehee: But I guess a big part of it comes down to how it has been treated over its life...