SAU Community

Budget Coilovers

Well, I'm looking at getting some decent coilovers for an R32 GTS-t, and would like some recommendations.

At the moment, I'm looking at the APEXi WS coilovers ($2700), or the Tein HA kit ($2200). I'm leaning towards the APEXi's, but I'm not sure whether they are damper adjustable like the Teins' are.

Hi Elitharar, a previous post on Japanese coil overs..........

In general I find Japanese aftermarket spring rates to be too high. For example our R32 GTST arrived with 550 lb springs in the front and 300 lbs in the rear and it was a road car. For circuit racing (on "R" Type Tyres) we have reduced even these, too hard for bumpy Australian tracks. On the road it would be a joke.

There are lots of reasons why, but the main one is, the Japanese have never heard of upgrading the anti roll bars. They don't have our aftermarket history (no KMac or Selbys). So they use these ridiculously high spring rates to control the roll, which is the anti roll bar's job, not the spring's.

Shock absorber technology for supplementing soft spring rates is also something that totally eludes them, the Europeans have it, particularly the Dutch (Koni legacy) and the Germans (Bilstein). Although the Scando's (Ohlins) are arguably heading the pack. The Yanks, as usual, fall for the trap of attempting to over engineer it (Penske). Even the Ausies (Murray's Proflex for example) are way better than the Japs. For the money Jamie's DMS's are far better than the equivalent cost in Jap stuff.

Bottom line, I don't like the typical Japanese spring rates and the shocks are grossly overpriced for their underlying technology. But they are nicely made, very shiney.

So I would go for Konis or Bilsteins with a Whiteline coil over kit. If you want the next step up, they have their new Group 4 coil over setup (engineered in Europe).

Have a look at the Skyline suspension articles at

www.whiteline.com.au

Hope that helps

my tein coil-overs are suprisingly not too hard and feel good tho.i got it second hand in good condition pretty cheaply

What Tein's are they?

I'd definitely be getting the coilovers without the pillow upper mounts.

http://www.tein.co.jp/hadampe.html - On the softest setting, the damper rates are supposedly only a few degrees off what the standard rates are. The spring rates as stated as UAS: F:65mm(diameter) 8.0k/200mm R: 65mm(diameter) 7.0k/250mm

The Whiteline springs look pretty nice, though they cost about $1500 more than the Teins.

Hi Elithar, 8.0k is 8 kilograms per mm, that's 450 lbs per inch at the front. That's 50 lbs more than we run in a circuit race car. The rears at 7.0 kg per mm are 400 lbs. That's 150 lbs more than we run in a circuit race car.

If the shocks are only "a few degrees off what the standard rates are" then they have no hope of controlling this rate of spring.

The Whiteline kit you are looking at is Group 4, that is their most expensive range. If you want cheaper from Whiteline you can get Koni adjustables with a coil over kit for around the same as Teins. Give them a call 02 9603 0111 and speak to Wedge.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the help there Sydneykid. I am checking out the Whiteline site now; it seems that their 'Sports Pack' ($1500, fitted) is pretty suitable. Either that or the 'Works'.

I'll fire off an email to Whiteline and see what they say.

Got a reply; they've recommended the Handling Pack to me. Coupling that with a pair of springs to lower the ride height seems the most cost-effective option; and, most importantly, it will allow me to spend money elsewhere (exhaust, intake). Should cost me around $1200.

i bought and installed some TEIN HA coilovers in my R33 and they are awsome, yes there stiff, round town and stuff you really feel the bumps.....but when pushing the cars through the twisties....you can tell where your money went!!! and as far as spring rates go (i was unaware of this till after purchasing) I think you can specify what rates you want (or choose from a list?) your set to come with? not 100% sure, but it does specify different spring rates in the manual's i recieced with them (all in Japanese by the way).

I was lookind at Apexi ones too before I went the teins...now Im glad i did

Got a reply; they've recommended the Handling Pack to me. Coupling that with a pair of springs to lower the ride height seems the most cost-effective option; and, most importantly, it will allow me to spend money elsewhere (exhaust, intake). Should cost me around $1200.

you mean they recommend that you change all 4 springs and keep the standard shocks? the $1200 includes sway bars and such too right?

i wanna improve on my handling as well and sydneykid has been giving me lotsa good advice.

No, Whiteline recommended the Handling Pack, though I also wanted to get the springs (same ones as the Sports Pack). Probably not the best idea with the standard shocks.

Check out the document here; it has all of the part numbers and prices. $615 (+ $275 fitting) for the Handling Pack, and $1339 (+ $225) for the Sport. Combining them will give you 'the Works', and that is $1850 (+ $450).

Has anyone used coilover units built by GSA or Fulcrum? They are basically King Springs, and bilstein/koni shocks built into a coilover unit. Any opinions of these? Supplied price is about $1800-$2200 depending who you speak to.

I'm looking for some coilover options for my R33 GTS-25T:)

• 3 months later...
No, Whiteline recommended the Handling Pack, though I also wanted to get the springs (same ones as the Sports Pack). Probably not the best idea with the standard shocks.

Check out the document here; it has all of the part numbers and prices. $615 (+ $275 fitting) for the Handling Pack, and $1339 (+ $225) for the Sport. Combining them will give you 'the Works', and that is $1850 (+ $450).

Dont be too concerned about using the Whiteline springs with the std shocks.

I went to Whiteline a few years ago with a std R32GTST with King Springs. It handled ok but nothing special. It felt like it handled until you asked it to really corner then it was woeful :Oops:

So Whiteline put their handling kit on the car, ie swaybars, bushes, strut braces and wheel alignment and the car handled GREAT, while still being completely comfortable on the road due to the standard shocks and King Springs. I drove the car around like this for about 4 weeks until the Bilsteins and Whiteline springs arrived, then they went in as well.

The difference with the Bilstein/Whiteline spring was noticeable from a ride and handling aspect (im talking full tilt thru corners, not pottering around at normal speeds) but the difference was nowhere near as dramatic as the swaybar/bush/strut brace upgrade.

So id give the swaybars, strut braces and bush kit (does the handling kit include front strut brace?) combined with just the Whiteline springs with std shocks the BIG THUMBS UP.:rofl:

When your std shocks call it a day, or more funds become available then i would look at the Bilsteins or Konis then

...oh and isnt that R32 on the Whiteline pdf file the best looking R32 GTST ever, ;)

I was definitely thinking at least the springs and bushes (pineapples, camber kit, etc.) first off; and it looks like the handling pack will be a good investment soon after. Not so sure about the shocks yet, as I might invest in some Tein's after I get some funds. From my rather limited experience with Jap. coilovers (and coilovers period), I'm quite impressed. Ride quality wasn't harsh at all IMO.