SAU Community

Speed Cameras

illblack

Hey guys,

Just wondering, if a speed camera is parked on the side of the road and its getting dark (not fully dart just yet but dark enough to put you lights on). Would the speed camera flash as you pass it if you are speeding?

Thanks for the info. :)

Some of the newer cameras use a UV flash in daylight and lower light conditions as this brings out the reflectivity of the number plates, so it may have gone off, but you will not see it.

You guys seem pretty knowledgeable about camera's. Cops sitting on the side of the road with the radar gun, there is an idiot in the outside lane doing about 117, when he reaches the cop he's dead level with the nose of my car....vicpol/speed camera likely to misread it, and think that I'm doing 117 or the ugly little Corolla next to me???

Ive heard of cases that people have gotten away with fines from cameras flashing you in the eyes at night cos they pose a safety risk and you may crash... But I have also heard alot of stuff that isnt true... :D

as far as i have seen the only speed cameras that have flash are the ones setup at intersections/traffic lights etc. not the stationary car parked ones

the road side cameras used to have big ugly flash boxes 5m in front of the car. then they started integrating the flashes into a bar mounted on a nudge bar... now they are going infrared, which works day and night. technology advancements mean more revenue!

You guys seem pretty knowledgeable about camera's. Cops sitting on the side of the road with the radar gun, there is an idiot in the outside lane doing about 117, when he reaches the cop he's dead level with the nose of my car....vicpol/speed camera likely to misread it, and think that I'm doing 117 or the ugly little Corolla next to me???

If there is someone else in the picture from a camera car then no one will be fined, if it is a laser gun then they are accurate enough to be able to pin point either car.

I rang the police earlier, because when I was bringing the Skyline back Tuesday night I went past a cop car on the side of the road with a radar gun, the guy in the outside was flogging it at about 117 in a 110 zone, but as we got level with the cop the guy was dead level with me (I wasn't speeding) so I was worried that it could get confused, I've asked other people and they all seemed to say the same thing, that they could get me for it.

So the rule on cops with radar guns:

The cop MUST give chase. If after he begins the chase he feels he can't catch you, or it poses a risk they must give up and take down your plate number. Once you stop it's up to the cops discretion if you get a fine/warning ect

Camera Cars:

Issues an infringement notice in the mail.

"Red Light" Cameras:

Will Flash. Sends out an Infringement notice

the road side cameras used to have big ugly flash boxes 5m in front of the car. then they started integrating the flashes into a bar mounted on a nudge bar... now they are going infrared, which works day and night. technology advancements mean more revenue!

Ive only seen the flash ones mounted on the cars front bar in the South East, but havnt seen the infrared ones yet, besides the ones that check for rego that then further down the road you have like 2 to 5 cop cars waiting to get on the chase.. :domokun:

wouldn't be surprised if they put them there due to it goes from 60 zone off the freeway then hits 40 zone past the school then back to 60 before doncaster road then up to 70 past micky dee's

and everytime i go through that 40 zone - i rarely see people slow down.. so wouldnt be such a bad place to put them..