SAU Community

Rb25det Turbo Upgrade

gun_33

hey, looking for some opinion on the ideal turbo for a rb25det. i know there is the rb25det turbo upgrade thread but i would like some real info from people that have done so. i have a slide high flow.. the stage 3 max oversize one. however looking for more power around 300rwkw have been told gt3076r or kkr 480? even what housing size is optimal any feedback would be great :blink::D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well mate i am looking at getting a GT3076R with a .82 rear housing and i am aiming for 300+ rwkw.....apparently this should help me get there....

also dont forget that to get to 300rwkw mark you will have to pretty much upgrade everything else as well

If I had a 25, it would be a 3076r or bust. Seen too many of these puppies and what they are capable of! Simon Michelmore has one on his RB25 S14, standard unopened motor running a 50/50 mix of E85/BP98 and is making 360+kw at the rears with oodles of torque.

f**k kkr off go the garret for sure!

seen and heard many of the kkr's not lasting to long and people just end up (including myself) using garett parts to rebuild them.

save the hassle and money and just start off with the gt30 which will get you the numbers with suporting mods

Edited by Import S13

f**k kkr off go the garret for sure!

seen and heard many of the kkr's not lasting to long and people just end up (including myself) using garett parts to rebuild them.

save the hassle and money and just start off with the gt30 which will get you the numbers with suporting mods

this mans word is bond like james

garrett ftw - good enuff for nissan, good enuff for me

-D

Gt3067 ftw, a mate made 317kw @ 21psi last week with a unopened rb25 that has near 180,000km on it.

First he had a kkr480 that made around the 255kw mark, he said it was fair crap so he sold it and bought a hypergear turbo. Ended up having alot of trouble with the hypergear turbo and had to send it back twice.. First turbo was leaking oil and the blades where rubbing on the exhaust housing with the 2nd turbo. Also felt really laggy and it was shocking for over boosting. It did make 301kw @ 21psi though.

Do it once and do it right, 3076.

Gt3067 ftw, a mate made 317kw @ 21psi last week with a unopened rb25 that has near 180,000km on it.

First he had a kkr480 that made around the 255kw mark, he said it was fair crap so he sold it and bought a hypergear turbo. Ended up having alot of trouble with the hypergear turbo and had to send it back twice.. First turbo was leaking oil and the blades where rubbing on the exhaust housing with the 2nd turbo. Also felt really laggy and it was shocking for over boosting. It did make 301kw @ 21psi though.

+1. Have got the internals of 3076 in stock RB25DET housing and pulled 274rwkw at 16-17psi (low mount). Therefore 3076 Garret will give you a slight grin between the ears

If I had a 25, it would be a 3076r or bust. Seen too many of these puppies and what they are capable of! Simon Michelmore has one on his RB25 S14, standard unopened motor running a 50/50 mix of E85/BP98 and is making 360+kw at the rears with oodles of torque.

Not argueing about the 3076, great choice, but I believe Simons car has a 3037s with poncams..

And no doubt a full track tune..Correct me if im wrong.. :happy:

Not argueing about the 3076, great choice, but I believe Simons car has a 3037s with poncams..

And no doubt a full track tune..Correct me if im wrong.. :happy:

3037s and 3076 are same turbo pretty much.

ive got the 3076 56t in .63 rear and i f*ken love it. with cams its soooo responsive and pulls hard. Makes 200 rwkw at 4000 rpm and 360 at 6500 rpm. good safe tune on the fuel mix also.

having has both the KKR and Slide turbos in the past i would NOT dickaround with them and just go straight to a decent garret turbo,

for street and response... 0.63 is where its at. dont listen to the BS about it being restrictive for 300 rwkw... thats just crap

well its not far from the truth... on every brand new 3076r you buy from Garret it comes with 3037S stamped on the build plate haha.

its weird but thats how the garret/HKS relationship have filtered down to how we buy turbos

heres another thought.

KKR = 800 + 400-500 to fit it and custom parts = 1300 ish = still bush bearing, laggy and old school turbo tech

3076 = 1600 ish + 300 for fitting kit = spend more and get a much better result and have a turbo that will last years

yeah i got a gcg stamped 3071 s/h.. when i rang gcg to confirm it they tell me its a 3076 which was a bit confusing...

Mind if ask what injectors your running Simon? I got 650 sards (out for testing atm) planning on e85 tune as well

Edited by Arthur T3

a dyna pack hub dyno is more accurate then most dynos. it has correction factors built in for diff ratio, wheel diameter and wheel weights also.

if anything it might read say higher due to having no wheelspin like you would see on a chassis dyno

EDIT: running 600 cc's... not runing full e85, but if i were i recjkon they might max out. i do however have the option of bumping the rail pressures up.. which would make a difference

Edited by Simon-R32

reason i ask is volk34 had his car on the same dyna pack dyno as you a couple weeks back and made 210kw. then today at the SAU-SA dyno day at willals

his car made 162rwkw. thats a 48kw difference between his 2 dyno runs

sorry to use your car as an example volk

Ok,reason i asked was your build thread said 650cc

with an IG 3071 i doubt i will make anywhere close to the power you are so they should cope for me.. :happy: ...

Would you say its the garret rear as opposed to the 6 bolt makes all the difference..?

Do not want to hijack this thread, Just want to make things clear.

This turbo was sent back for inspection because your mate is worried about the shaft play from dry bearings, all we did was added in few drops of oil.

Your mate reported oil leak issue on cold side after installation which indicate a flooding issue normally due to drain or feed. I did ask for it to be returned for check up, how ever it never came back.

It was taken to some where else, which they cropped its wheel trying to high flow it, modified the wastegate with different actuator. I did rang that place to find out what went wrong, and I did not get a direct response.

That turbo is not our original build. It will obviously mega lag with cropped wheel and creep from different wastgate setup. That is not our work.

reason i ask is volk34 had his car on the same dyna pack dyno as you a couple weeks back and made 210kw. then today at the SAU-SA dyno day at willals

his car made 162rwkw. thats a 48kw difference between his 2 dyno runs

sorry to use your car as an example volk

a dyno is a tuning tool, results differ between brands and how they are used. ambient temp/air density will have a massive effect on power/torque as well.

afaik unless the dynos are at the same place and used at the same time ur comparing penises to vaginas