SAU Community

Gt-r 40km/h Over. Need Your Help!

eastes

So, I have been caught by a speed camera doing 40km over. It was a once off stupid mistake and very regrettable.

I was following a friend up a quiet mountain drive when we came across a slower car for a while. At first opportunity we used a long overtaking lane. While watching the road ahead and focusing on the actual overtaking, I didn't watch my speedometer and the speed camera clocked me at 122km/h.

Some of the straights on this mountain are 100km/h I think. Unfortunately, this was an 80 zone. I was 42km/h over the limit. In Queensland, 40km over is 8 points, $933 fine and 6 months suspension.

I know this is inexcusable and I feel quite ashamed as I'm usually very careful on the roads. When I first bought the GT-R I intentionally drove 10km under the speed limit for 2 weeks so I could reset my idea of what speed I was doing.

I'm trying to decide what to do

1. decide I deserve to lose my license for 6 months
  2. try to have the penalty reduced to 39km over so I can keep license
  3. try to have penalty overturned with the help of a solictor. eg(2 cars in photo, front photo instead of back etc..)
  4. pay the fines, take the suspension and then apply for special work license or something

What would you do?

GT-R-speed-camera.jpg

Edited by eastes

Bad luck mate...

It looks like you have crossed a solid white line to overtake. Is that legal? Would it be a problem if you challenged?

Good Luck!

If you look closely, you can see it's actually a dashed line. The solid white line is for traffic heading in opposite direction.

They were camped at the first overtaking section in ages. They will score many tickets there.

If you look closely, you can see it's actually a dashed line. The solid white line is for traffic heading in opposite direction.

They were camped at the first overtaking section in ages. They will score many tickets there.

Mt Nebo ?

Definitely fight it, talk to a good solicitor and see what your chances are having it overturned are.

Traffic law and traffic police are a joke, don't feel bad about fighting it.

Best of Luck.

Edited by Nee-san

As already mentioned get a lawyer.

I would be the first to say bad luck, cop the fine, but it's worth noting that the newer radar systems are very accurate in terms of where they're pointing, and in this case, it would've been pointing at the Commodore, not at you. I would fight it - it is the responsibility of the police to prove that it was you who was guilty in this instance, I reckon they'd have a hard time doing that, regardless of what the photo does or doesn't show. I'd certainly be going to court to fight it.

regardless of what you decide to do mate, im sure a thread in which you admit to doing the crime is going to help your case!

I don't plan on lying to get out of it so I think more good than harm will come out of sharing.

At least you got a cool picture out of it, I didn't get anything :)

On a serious note though, if you are behind some one doing say 60km/h in a 80km/h zone and you go to overtake them in a fast car, isn't it safer to overtake as quickly as you possibly can so you are not on the wrong side of the road? I think the law is bullshit that says you can not go above the speed limit if you are overtaking.

The way I see it, the ute was going under the speed limit so you went to safely and legally overtake when you saw an incoming car in the distance, got scared and accelerated to get back into your correct lane as to not cause an accident...

I'm usually very careful on the roads. When I first bought the GT-R I intentionally drove 10km under the speed limit for 2 weeks so I could reset my idea of what speed I was doing.

Skyline driver? Being careful on the roads? That's a paradox.

• Nope 1

At least you got a cool picture out of it, I didn't get anything :)

On a serious note though, if you are behind some one doing say 60km/h in a 80km/h zone and you go to overtake them in a fast car, isn't it safer to overtake as quickly as you possibly can so you are not on the wrong side of the road? I think the law is bullshit that says you can not go above the speed limit if you are overtaking.

The way I see it, the ute was going under the speed limit so you went to safely and legally overtake when you saw an incoming car in the distance, got scared and accelerated to get back into your correct lane as to not cause an accident...

This is exactly why I don't feel I deserve a 6 month suspension. Unfortunately, the law will never be perfect and I understand a line has to be drawn somewhere.

What actually does it say at the bottom? "Were you in charge of the vehicle".......

It asks me if I was the driver. If I wasn't, then I'd have to have a JP sign a statement of whom I believe was driving.