SAU Community

R32 GTST ---> GTR (RB26 conversion)

replace 26 sump with sump from rwd RB engine series, minor mod to the rwd sump to have room for oil pick up. Lots of $$$ required to purchase 26 engine then do the conversion, so build a full rb30 works out better for rwd. :O

• 5 months later...

Thing is if you build up an RB30 bottom end, which all costs $$$ you then need a turbo to make power. If you buy an RB26, even with the std turbos you can make 250rwkws.... i dont know, cant decide myself, but i suggest you make up your mind for sure before you start buying parts...secret to doing things at the right price, ie cheaply is planning, which issomething i havent done well

Dont forget things like rxhaust, IC plumbing, clutch...al adds quickly to the cost....and speakin to someone who had done this conversion recently, he seemed to believe modifying the std sump is better then modifying the pick up.

People should also consider the different nature of the two engines. RB30 obviously has a larger displacement and more torque, but you will sacrifice rev's for it, and viceversa with the RB26.

LW.

go to force induction discussion and read the thread "rb30". cheaper and can say better than go for a rb26 for a gts-t

Not necessarily. If you can get a good condition Rb26dett at a reasonable price I would say the conversion would be cheaper. But if the engine blew up after you'd put it in then it would get very expensive. May also fetch more money on resale as the "oh its got a GTR engine in it" might appeal more but that is debateable.

and also what llwells said above. .. they're differnt engines with different strengths and weaknesses.

replace 26 sump with sump from rwd RB engine series, minor mod to the rwd sump to have room for oil pick up.  Lots of $$$ required to purchase 26 engine then do the conversion, so build a full rb30 works out better for rwd. :D

hi japtaxi, can you please explain further why would we need to replace the rb26 sump?

I'm doing the conversion this month...

rb26 sump is cast, heavy, and has front diff casing+bits that you need to chop them off before you can put the engine in (you might as well add baffle plate while you at it). Whether it is legal or not depends on the engineer/your state vehicle mod law. Compare to rb25 sump, it is sheet metal, lighter, easier to chop/weld, add baffle etc etc.

There's always the option of rebuilding a R32 RB25DE with a set of forged pistons to hold big power.

While your there throw a set of RB26DETT crank and rods in there. Not sure if the crank is needed, I think just the rods. Its been covered here on SAU many times.

Or throw a thicker headgasket in to the stock R32 RB25DE motor, bolt on all the rb20 sensors and off you go.

Sure the RB26DETT is the king BUT is it really worth the extra $$ when you could build up a RB26DET using the R32 RB25DE motor for much cheaper.

+ you would have a nice fresh bottom end with a nice shinny set of forgy's in there.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record. :rofl:

im starting it next week so ill probably document it in one way or another.

once its done ill be happy to help out and answer any questions

should be a bit easier for me though, because i have a full running GTR to use so everything is there and just needs to be swapped over.

im starting it next week so ill probably document it in one way or another.

once its done ill be happy to help out and answer any questions

should be a bit easier for me though, because i have a full running GTR to use so everything is there and just needs to be swapped over.

Hey mate, might be a stupid question, but why would you pull apart a full running GTR to transplant it to a GTS-t? No offense, but it sounds like sacrilege to me :D

I hope you tell us that it has a bent chassis or something, and what you mean is that the running gear is fine

ive just finished one on a r33.

we started modifying the original gtst sump and to be honest, it takes some buchery. we cut the diff off the gtr sump and welded it up, much neater and i would prefer the extra capacity.

the conversion looks simple, just dont underestimate the hours involved with all the bits an pieces u have to modify, if ur paying somone to do it, i reckon $2500 in labour is reasonable.

so working on a $5000 rb26, the conversion should set u back around $8k if ur paying someone to do it.