SAU Community

Cant Edit Posts

^ what are you talking about mate? The For Sale area's are seeing more traffic than they ever have - FACT.

End of the day, you clearly have not read the very section you post in

The bold red text at the top of the section says this:

All threads created will be subject to moderator preview prior to being approved and visible to other sau users. All posts within the for sale threads will now be subject to moderator preview prior to being approved and being visible to other sau user. If your thread/post has not been displayed, do not just post again. It will be released in due process.

So given most of the posts you've added in the last 36hrs, give people some time to go over it.

If you can "define" quickly that would no doubt be interesting. I call within 48hrs - reasonable.

Obviously sometimes it will be longer... Thats life.

You wanna hack up some code for us to put into our IPB forum code? :P

Won't happen otherwise far as i see it.

It's a minor inconvenience for a massive gain.

If people cared that much, i'd have more 'reported posts' and PM's to edit threads. I barely get any... Clearly showing how much people actually care.

Its a piece of piss nismoid!

String UpdatedMessage = oldMessage + newMessage;

It would be maybe 1 or 2 lines absolute max, all you have to do is append the new post to the old one.

lol, 1 or 2 lines, someones started early on the booze :P

ok when you click edit, you just load the post into a buffer, delete it from the textbox, let the user add their content, then append the text in the textbox to the post that's in a buffer.

sure maybe not one line, but it is far from complicated.

this is web programming, its always messy. suddenly your buffer goes from one variable to issues with storing it in the session and all that mumbo jumbo. and you're forgetting all the code that will ensure this only happens in the for sale forum, any logic for whether its only allowed in the original post or other posts, the code to actually get the original message and put it in said 'buffer', and then retrieve it and append before submitting new post, etc.

so your 1 or 2 lines is probably closer to 100-200

• 2 months later...

I can understand why you'd want it, but when I want to edit the OP of my thread to add other peoples contributions into the immediately viewed post I don't think that's a big ask.

I just typed up a massive thread will part numbers etc. for R33 skylines (improved format etc) and I intended to troll the thread and put contributions in the OP, however I just realized I can't do that. Just like with my HID thread, I can't edit the information in the OP because of the limit, even though the information could be out of date or plain wrong.

I think we need to remove the time limit to edit posts, it's a bit of an inconvenience.

Yeah i know im not, simply because (as stated already)

it will not change until the forum upgrade is performed

It has passed testing i believe, it just needs to be implemented/released.

Also, funnily enough, the past 2.5-3 months... i've had not one bad trader incident to investigate which is down from my average of 2-3 a month.

Surely i dont have to point out the time it has taken for this so called "upgrade". Does the forum intend to ever put back the editing ability or has it been decided that all edits be going through the report button?

You shouldn't need to edit a post.

If you do, you are more than welcome to use the report post feature to have your thread edited - should it be an acceptable edit.

What classifies as a acceptable edit? why dosnt SAU make this public knowledge? I am not one to speak on others behalf but i can only imagine the amount of people out there that do not know what on earth the report button does.

And rather then simply ignoring our pleas for help after using the report button. How about some feedback? A quick PM explaining why our request to edit a thread has been denied isnt to much to ask i think. Annoying yes, but necessary if you are going to take away our editing privileges.

Im all for SAU wanting to make the forum a safe place and to keep the the scamers ratio down, you guys have done a great job indeed! But in turn have seriously downgraded the user friendliness of the forum.

My suggestion is to possible introduce a reward scheme for people who achieve i dont know.....100posts? surely that would solve both parties issues? And if you dont believe so explain why. this is a discussion forum isnt it :)

Again Mods, Admins and fellow users. Please take this as constructive criticism.

p.s - i will be using these report buttons over the coming days and hope the response times are reasonable.

Edited by Jap_Muscle

Its a piece of piss nismoid!

String UpdatedMessage = oldMessage + newMessage;

It would be maybe 1 or 2 lines absolute max, all you have to do is append the new post to the old one.

Theoretically easy.

Practically a bitch considering the template edits, additional pages, integration to IPB, working around the IPB database structure, etc.

Put in the edit you want

A mod/admin will do it.

I do it everyday. It's easier to do a min or two as opposed to dealing with countless complaints.

No offense mate, but that's a very long winded process.

I admire the dedication, but if every user submitted edit requests then you've got a lot of work on your plate.

thing is, people don't :)

and any edit required, usually takes 20 sec or less as its direct text replacement :)

i don't think half the people complaining in this thread have even reported something once :P

yes its an inconvenient thing for some, however by andlarge edits most of the time simply aren't required as much as people would allude :D

1/the reported posts i get is to simply lock a sold'item thread, which users never had access to do anyway.

WOW this new thing where i cannot edit my Ad, or cannot add a reply is really crap.... Before the sale section was alive and kicking, lots going on, now its dead...

I have added 4 replys now to my post, waiting for them to be checked and added, after 4 days, only one reply got added, trying to add more pictures and change of price.. but no, it wont let me, and the "moderators" wont add my new info.

If things are gonna be checked, thats fine, but can they be checked quickly and then added!?

^ what are you talking about mate? The For Sale area's are seeing more traffic than they ever have - FACT.

End of the day, you clearly have not read the very section you post in

The bold red text at the top of the section says this:

All threads created will be subject to moderator preview prior to being approved and visible to other sau users. All posts within the for sale threads will now be subject to moderator preview prior to being approved and being visible to other sau user. If your thread/post has not been displayed, do not just post again. It will be released in due process.

So given most of the posts you've added in the last 36hrs, give people some time to go over it.

If you can "define" quickly that would no doubt be interesting. I call within 48hrs - reasonable.

Obviously sometimes it will be longer... Thats life.

Thanks for the support Ash. Appreciated :)

To R33Matt -

As Ash said, we aim to get the threads/posts released as soon as we can.

The way moderated posts work is this:

You make a post/thread. It doesn't show up for you. Instead I get an email immediately with the details and a link. I will log onto the forums, check the thread/post and then release it from moderator review if it is a correct post/thread. If it is a complete new forsale thread and is not correct, I will PM the OP and ask them for the missing information. Once received I will edit their thread and release it. If it is just a comment in the thread of "nice car mate good luck with the sale" then I will just leave it in moderator review as it is against the rules.

Usually I will come to work 30 mins early each morning, get a coffee and sit down and go through all the emails requiring moderation on SAU before I get on with my normal work load for the day.

On weekends I'm not at work so this process is held off until Monday morning.

The other 2 WA mods do this process also, however only one of us can receive the emails so they can only check on what can be immediately seen on the first page. If someone were to update a thread 2 months old, they wouldn't see this update as it would be 5 or 6 pages back.

We do endeavor to get your posts released in a timely matter. But please remember that we do have normal lives outside of the forum as well and sometimes we can't always be online to immediately release posts.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

^^ if every fs thread is subject to preapproval, which one of yous preapproves fs thread that have no details, cousins, mates etc etc fs item, no prices, traders selling things on the sly in private etc etc, amd not to mention tom dick & hamoudi that signed up today or yesterday amd already has fully sick items at fully sick prices and then another one of yous closes it after someone gets ripped off etc...

Hmmm makes me wonder...

Either way theres plenty to fix in here and the genuine/diy informants/and hard working free information gurus/trustworthy sellers with good reputations shpuldnt be the ones that suffer...

Funny thing is of course none of the scammers/hackers/bots/new sellers in fs or classifieds are in this thread complaining cos they dpnt give a damn....

Thanks for the support Ash. Appreciated :blink:

To R33Matt -

As Ash said, we aim to get the threads/posts released as soon as we can.

The way moderated posts work is this:

You make a post/thread. It doesn't show up for you. Instead I get an email immediately with the details and a link. I will log onto the forums, check the thread/post and then release it from moderator review if it is a correct post/thread. If it is a complete new forsale thread and is not correct, I will PM the OP and ask them for the missing information. Once received I will edit their thread and release it. If it is just a comment in the thread of "nice car mate good luck with the sale" then I will just leave it in moderator review as it is against the rules.

Usually I will come to work 30 mins early each morning, get a coffee and sit down and go through all the emails requiring moderation on SAU before I get on with my normal work load for the day.

On weekends I'm not at work so this process is held off until Monday morning.

The other 2 WA mods do this process also, however only one of us can receive the emails so they can only check on what can be immediately seen on the first page. If someone were to update a thread 2 months old, they wouldn't see this update as it would be 5 or 6 pages back.

We do endeavor to get your posts released in a timely matter. But please remember that we do have normal lives outside of the forum as well and sometimes we can't always be online to immediately release posts.

Dan

• 2 months later...

this 'report to edit thread' isn't working too well, have reported a thread of mine (this) a few times to remove the phone/email listed over a few months (who knows why, but ive been getting random calls from people who cant read that the car is sold...), and it hasnt been done. is there some way that these reports are handled that prevents them falling through the cracks?

this 'report to edit thread' isn't working too well, have reported a thread of mine (this) a few times to remove the phone/email listed over a few months (who knows why, but ive been getting random calls from people who cant read that the car is sold...), and it hasnt been done. is there some way that these reports are handled that prevents them falling through the cracks?

lol 3 years on and you're still getting calls? Awesome.

Have edited the thread for you anyway in lieu of the report button being fixed

• 1 month later...