SAU Community

Tirerack.com?

Peter89

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it this is only worth it for high perf tyres? Cos say if I'm looking to run something like KU31's - its about 650 delivered from tirerack - which is the same as delivered from Tempe Tyres?

I'd rather deal with Tirerack then anybody at Tempes though ;)

I'm fairly sure they include shipping cost in duty calculations. they certainly do for cars. it's FOB cost + ocean freight cost. I wouldn't wager any money on it but if I had to guess I'd say it's the same rule for packages. cost of items + cost of freight = dutiable amount.

I thought so too! But reading through this thread made me do a little research and guess what I found?

http://www.customs.g...dsbypostfaq.pdf

AND

How is duty and GST calculated?

The Customs value of goods imported into Australia is known as the ‘transaction value’. It is usually the amount you paid for your goods, converted to Australian currency. The exchange rate that is used is the rate applied on the day the goods were posted (exported).

When the goods you import are valued at more than A$1000, or include alcohol or tobacco products of any value, a Customs value is used as the basis for calculating the amount of any duty and/or GST and other taxes payable.

Duty payable is calculated on the Customs value of the goods. Relevant duty rates are determined by the Customs Tariff Act 1995 and are applicable at the time an import declaration is made.

GST is paid on the Value of the Taxable Importation (VoTI). The VoTI is the sum of the Customs value, transport and insurance costs (or postage and insurance) plus any duty payable and WET payable.

Below is an example calculation for an electric sound amplifier with a duty rate of 5%. The purchase price was US$1,274 and the exchange rate on the day it was exported was 0.9100 (A$1 = US$0.91). The postage and insurance was US$118.30

Customs value converted to Australian currency = US$1274/0.9100 = A$1,400.00

Postage and insurance converted = US$118.30/0.9100 = A$130.00

Duty (amount payable) = 5% of A$1,400 = A$70.00

VoTI = (customs value + duty + postage and insurance)

= A$1,400 + A$70 + A$130 = A$1600.00

GST = 10% of VoTI (amount payable)

= 10% of A$1,600 = A$160.00

Amount payable to Customs and Border Protection

Duty + GST = A$70.00 + A$160 = A$230.00

Plus import declaration (lodged by document) processing charge of A$48.85

Total payable = A$230.00 + A$48.85 = A$278.85

Taken from http://www.customs.g...ndGSTcalculated

Seems like Duty is calculated before freight and GST will only incur if you pay Duty Tax. Looks like I'll be getting my tires there too now...

• 2 months later...

Just got a quote from Tirerack.com today, shipping's back @ 300 ish USD now....damn

Thought it used to be around $200?

what size did you get

here is my quote from 10/2010

4 54WR7AD08 255/40R17 YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08 206.00

SUBTOTAL: $824.00

FREIGHT: $218.07

Just found out the 265/35/18 A048 are made in 2010 so still fine.

Shipping for a set of 4 to adelaide is 280ish. Just gotta see if they will spit the package to avoid tax.

• 4 weeks later...

I see no one else has mentioned quarantine, I order a set of michelins $1100 plus $290 frieght ( so yeah $190 for GTS and Duty,) to perth, and then another $140 quarantine charges WTF, I'm trying to find out now what that is all about, as nobody else has mentioned it ?

I see no one else has mentioned quarantine, I order a set of michelins $1100 plus $290 frieght ( so yeah $190 for GTS and Duty,) to perth, and then another $140 quarantine charges WTF, I'm trying to find out now what that is all about, as nobody else has mentioned it ?

just found out.. the tirerack didn't include the Quarantine Declaration, so the extra charge applied for some inspection or some shit.. Just make sure they attach or send you the Declaration, or you'll get stung!>_<

• 4 weeks later...

just found out.. the tirerack didn't include the Quarantine Declaration, so the extra charge applied for some inspection or some shit.. Just make sure they attach or send you the Declaration, or you'll get stung!pinch.gif

Erm... I didnt get that.

Did people find that these guys were slow at getting back to them with the shipping quote? Need tyres pretty soon!

Mine went pretty well. Roger was very helpful through both email and phone (we try to mix and match to ensure purchase was below 1000aud). The shipping is exactly 5days for me.

Did people find that these guys were slow at getting back to them with the shipping quote? Need tyres pretty soon!

Considering the volume of orders they are getting, I'm not surprised :D

The Fed-Ex guy said thats basically all he is doing. Delivering tyres every day all over Victoria lol.

So it seems plenty have worked out cheaper pricing is available.

Be interesting to see if the Aussie Distro's stop gouging the market over the next 6 months. Cause if the dollar stays around the mark it is now, there is certainly going to be an increase in imported goods.

Hehehe bless them. I got my quote this morning and just had the wire transfer done.

Look forward to getting some nice rubber and getting my TE37s fitted finally! Car is going to look awesome :D