SAU Community

Oil Catch Can/pcv Setups...

Samon

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

And the baffles in a GTR's catch can are different to the ones you would use in a catch can on a Renault 19 how exactly?

Oh I dont know, sizing, design, capacity maybe.......

• 2 years later...

So after 3 years of this topic being dead im bring it back with the hopes of some further information.

I have a RB30DET with around 350rwkw, have a N1 oil pump and restrictors in the block (no rear head drain and no larger oil gallery drains) I don't intend of pulling the head off any time soon to do modifications.

I have had my PCV blocked off for many years and have both rocket cover breathers Tee'd together and running to a catch can (not baffled, no access for baffling) then to atmosphere. When ever I do one or two decent drag runs I need to empty my catch can which is a pain and generally embarrassing.

After having this setup for about 6 years I've just Decided to tee into my turbo drain pipe which is fine at the moment apart form smoke coming out of my breather.

Now it sounds very similar to what quimby asked and what KiwiRS4t responded.

On 14/12/2015 at 1:12 PM, mayor quimby said:

Running a single turbo on a rb26dett, anyone ever vented the crankcase through the rear turbo oil return. I was thinking about tying it together with the rocker cover breather hoses and then to a catch can and either going to atmosphere or running a hose back to the intake. to create some vacuum in the crankcase. What do you guys think? I'm just wondering if i'd be sucking oil up instead of just pressure.

On 14/12/2015 at 3:19 PM, KiwiRS4T said:

Don't do it. You don't want to interfere with the turbo oil drain. And you want your crankcase/sump breather on the other side of the motor.

Now what is the best way for my to get rid of all this oil? Am I'm plumbed completely wrong? There is too much oil to plumb to intake. 

Would a non return valve work on the can drain or would the oils weight not open an inline non return? 

I'm after some help.

Thanks

Adrian

20200212_131855_copy_1209x1612.jpg

Have a look at how the Nismo can is set up.  It drains back through the turbo drain.

To be fair if its for the drags you dont need it to drain quickly. So the answer to your question may be not an nrv but simply a small(er) orifice because who cares if it takes 5 minutes? 

But yes a non return valve would work if you could find one you are happy with.  You will to be a bit careful how you mount it (ie vertically of horizontally as they sometimes dont like certain positions) which could be an issue.

But honestly if you are getting large amounts of oil from a single pass you should have a think about venting the sump to the can.

So there you go - four answers to one question.....

4 minutes ago, djr81 said:

Have a look at how the Nismo can is set up.  It drains back through the turbo drain.

To be fair if its for the drags you dont need it to drain quickly. So the answer to your question may be not an nrv but simply a small(er) orifice because who cares if it takes 5 minutes? 

But yes a non return valve would work if you could find one you are happy with.  You will to be a bit careful how you mount it (ie vertically of horizontally as they sometimes dont like certain positions) which could be an issue.

But honestly if you are getting large amounts of oil from a single pass you should have a think about venting the sump to the can.

So there you go - four answers to one question.....

Thank you Djr81 for a Much more informative response than the previous. There doesn't seem to be as many setups and issues exactly the same as the ones I have, so trying to find specific answers in the threads hasn't been very successful. 

18 minutes ago, the-31 said:

Thank you Djr81 for a Much more informative response than the previous. There doesn't seem to be as many setups and issues exactly the same as the ones I have, so trying to find specific answers in the threads hasn't been very successful. 

Maybe, but he does have a point.  Venting blowby from the sump and not the head is a better way of doing it and doesnt require the head to be lifted.

The oil puke problem is a common thing for RB's of almost any capacity.  The solution is essentially the same but does vary slightly based on peoples catch can preferences. At the end of the day low blowby plus a way for the blowby to get out of the sump without going through the head is the basis of the solution, as covered in the oil control thread.