SAU Community

What Have You Done To Your Stagea Lately?

Hanso

Like a bull out of a gate!!!

Nice way to start ....1 day into having the car!!!!

.....I think I lasted 3 day's before I did a full dump back exhaust and another 2 weeks before the wheels....and the list goes on and on and on ect!.....4 years later and 2 things left to do!!!...maybewhistling.gif

I like to think of it as being organised. I ordered the wheels for it the same day I won the car at auction

I even bought the Tananbe sus before I bought the car banana.gif

ZOMG! Trabant wagon!

looks more like Scott's....being white and all!

....has a better looking grill than Aarons too....not that that would be hard!

Edited by Jetwreck

looks more like Scott's....being white and all!

....has a better looking grill than Aarons too....not that that would be hard!

so if its a better looking grill than mine, its definitely better than yours

Well, I decided I would fit the coil overs today. The stock sus was in very good condition but these Tanabe coil overs ride sooooo much nicer. Not hard at all, nearly the same as standard but just ride the bumps a little nicer. It does sit fairly low with the guards sitting level with the tyres. Looks awesome!

Ill try and post a pic over the weekend for those interested.

Well, I decided I would fit the coil overs today. The stock sus was in very good condition but these Tanabe coil overs ride sooooo much nicer. Not hard at all, nearly the same as standard but just ride the bumps a little nicer. It does sit fairly low with the guards sitting level with the tyres. Looks awesome!

Ill try and post a pic over the weekend for those interested.

would want to see pics thumbsup.gif

which tanabe coils do u have? i used to use tanabe NF springs for my civic, they lower the car but only a tad bit stiffer, there was still a bit of bodyroll until i changed to tein flex...

Washed it today.

Yesterday finished my intake, took bottom resonator out of airbox cut hole bigger for 3" piping from bumper grill.

Also brought 2 more Wolf 18x9.5s, but in +15 offset, so now will be running +30 up front and +15 rear

Is the front generally supposed to be higher or lower then the rear?

It's better to have the rear a little higher, otherwise you start to lose caster; which then promotes understeer.

Even with equal front & rear hub to guard measurements; you will still have an amount of rear rake.

It's better to have the rear a little higher, otherwise you start to lose caster; which then promotes understeer.

Even with equal front & rear hub to guard measurements; you will still have an amount of rear rake.

im not saying youre wrong, just having some input to this conversation :)

but shouldnt the rear be a little lower on a car due to the way cars corner?

Is the front generally supposed to be higher or lower then the rear?

Measuring from the sill panel, mine is 30-35mm higher at the rear than the front. Its hard to tell by eye that it has 30-35mm of rake now. IMO it sits nicely. I might adjust it slightly when the new wheels arrive, this will depend on what tyre sizes I end up using.

When I was younger and into Valiants we would run the rear lower than the front and it understeers badly.

And out of interest, how many of you guys loosen all of your suspension arms and preload the hub and then tighten it all back up when lowering a car? I always do this as it takes the twist out of bushes. If you don't do this it twist the bushes quite a lot. A lot of people don't do this and then wonder why the bushes wear out quickly.

Edited by slippylotion

(1)Measuring from the sill panel, mine is 30-35mm higher at the rear than the front. Its hard to tell by eye that it has 30-35mm of rake now. IMO it sits nicely. I might adjust it slightly when the new wheels arrive, this will depend on what tyre sizes I end up using.

When I was younger and into Valiants we would run the rear lower than the front and it understeers badly.

(2) And out of interest, how many of you guys loosen all of your suspension arms and preload the hub and then tighten it all back up when lowering a car? I always do this as it takes the twist out of bushes. If you don't do this it twist the bushes quite a lot. A lot of people don't do this and then wonder why the bushes wear out quickly.

(1) IMO i wouldnt have the rear lower than the front - considering its 4WD and the body under power is always going to be lower at the rear under these conditions.......... also less understeer!!!

its not like we need to have more weight over the rears for traction anyways

(2) yep.... otherwise u could also find your rear springs move round each time u jack the car up!!!

(1) IMO i wouldnt have the rear lower than the front - considering its 4WD and the body under power is always going to be lower at the rear under these conditions.......... also less understeer!!!

its not like we need to have more weight over the rears for traction anyways

(2) yep.... otherwise u could also find your rear springs move round each time u jack the car up!!!

Not sure what you mean here. My rear is higher than the front. Don't look at wheel arch measurements, look at the sill panel, this is the level line of the car. Wheel arches front to back are often not the same height.

How will the spring move around when they are captured?

Yep, always crack & loosen arms to settle bushes. Usually just run the car up on some ramps once I'm done; easier than preloading arms.

I think the rake on mine is only 10mm front to rear (rear higher).

Iain, I stand by my "Loss of rake equals increased understeer" theory, but it must be in relation to original heights; not just a blanket "Rear high equals awesome handling", probably should have clarified.

They poke out a bit, but nothing too crazy, just gotta roll the lips on the rear and you are sweet. just stretch some 245 tyres

Apologies for harping on about wheels so much - reckon a 19x9.5+15 would fit? It looks as though 19x9.5+22 is wide without being ridiculous, the 7mm should be pretty safe, yeah?