SAU Community

R34 Exhaust - My Experience

Just give up son.

I cbf replying anymore

Obv you more more than anyone else in Aus.

But I will add, NA Performace = Engine mods

there are suspension and braking sections, driveline sections general maintinance etc.

You are allowed to use those.

alright mate, i guess enough is enough haha

but on that, i would have thought a post to do with exhaust would have come under "engine mods" because its effectively helping the engine breathe.

guess i arked up a fair bit cause it was my first contribution on SAU & i got totally burnt for it lol

My car was 100% street legal yes. It was engineered. That's how it was legal.

It's currently being rebuilt at the moment, and will then be engineered. That's how it will be street legal.

Secondly, people are being idiots in here too, the variable mufflers are ILLEGAL FFS! Once you learn to not do stupid illegal shit, we'll all be better for it.

well thats pretty cool dude , but you gotta admit, there arent too many people out there who can afford/are willing to go to those lengths haha

im aware they are illegal, but so is a loud exhaust, the rest of my car is legal, legal height, legal size & width of wheels etc

lets leave it at that, cheers guyscheers.gif

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright mate, i guess enough is enough haha

but on that, i would have thought a post to do with exhaust would have come under "engine mods" because its effectively helping the engine breathe.

guess i arked up a fair bit cause it was my first contribution on SAU & i got totally burnt for it lol

well thats pretty cool dude , but you gotta admit, there arent too many people out there who can afford/are willing to go to those lengths haha

im aware they are illegal, but so is a loud exhaust, the rest of my car is legal, legal height, legal size & width of wheels etc

lets leave it at that, cheers guyscheers.gif

That's the thing... It's not expensive.

When I first engineered my car, it cost me $400 total.

That was the noise test, eng cert, and blue slip to have it noted on my rego.

oh really?

i guess there's just a perception that it costs a lot more than that.

i'm also guessing that the more "extreme" the mod is, they more you have to pay to have it engineered?

Without going to much into it and without know exactly what you have.

But Quieter means the mufflers have more chambers/tubes etc, so more restriction in most cases.

The 3" HKS silent exhasut is quiet because it's designed to have a small turbo muffling most of the noise, they are actually quite loud on cars with big turbo's fitted.

saying that a 3" system on a 2.5L NA Six is not going to cause much restiction, it will never be exactly quiet with just a single off the shelf muffler.

2 decent big 3" mufflers should shut it up, and still be free flowing (in your case)

Thanks for that info :thumbsup: might try a second muffler , (mine is turbo)seems the more power an rb makes, the louder and nastier it sounds, just have to draw the line somwhere with the decibels :cheers:

oh really?

i guess there's just a perception that it costs a lot more than that.

i'm also guessing that the more "extreme" the mod is, they more you have to pay to have it engineered?

When I engineered my car, I was running the "normal" skyline mods.

FMIC, ECU, Custom POD box, suspension, mags, clutch and flywheel, front bar cut out, etc.

That was when it cost me around $400.

The more mods you do, the more it will cost, and normally ends up around $1500 at the worst for the most extreme setup.

I never actually had my RB30DET and TD07S engineered, as it didn't run for long enough to get the car emmissioned tested, it only ever went to the track with this setup. I was told by an engineer, it would be about $950 back then to have it done. When you consider I'd dropped around 15K in converting the car over and doing more extensive stuff to it... $1000 was nothing...

I'm currently rolling between 10 - 15K into the car again converting it to a V8, engineering costs will be about the same. Again, it's not even 10% of what I'm paying for my big setup... It's not that big of a cost, especially when it means I can drive the car on the road again.

You need to think about it, by the time you've put new mags on, swapped the suspension, bought a new ECU and had the car tuned, FMIC and the other little tid bits, you've probably spent around $5000 or more on it. To have a piece of paper for a top price of lets say even $1500! It's a nothing ness, and it really is a good thing to have. It protects your pride and joy from the police.

Wow- this site is an endless source of info, its great! I honestly thought engineering was so much of a hassle that it was easier to try and buy another car that already has more power and better suspension/brakes from the factory (gtst to a gtr etc)

After seeing this i now realize i can do the minor mods i want and get a cert to cover me.. Up until now i have thought i couldnt get a fmic etc without the police harrassing me. Just goes to show you shouldnt listen to stupid rumors, they are most probably started by people that couldnt be stuffed doing the right thing. Like mbs said- the cost of engineering is essentially not much in comparison to the mods we spend our money on!

Wow- this site is an endless source of info, its great! I honestly thought engineering was so much of a hassle that it was easier to try and buy another car that already has more power and better suspension/brakes from the factory (gtst to a gtr etc)

After seeing this i now realize i can do the minor mods i want and get a cert to cover me.. Up until now i have thought i couldnt get a fmic etc without the police harrassing me. Just goes to show you shouldnt listen to stupid rumors, they are most probably started by people that couldnt be stuffed doing the right thing. Like mbs said- the cost of engineering is essentially not much in comparison to the mods we spend our money on!

that more comes from a cost effectiveness point of view, rather than an engineering point of view. for example, the cost of buying a natro skyline, then doing a turbo conversion works out to be more expensive than selling the natro and buying a gts-t by a few thousand dollars in most cases, and you then get the advantage of stronger gearbox, LSD and better brakes, etc.

as for engineers certs stopping the cops hounding you, it doesn't stop them pulling you over and giving you a serve. it just stops them fining you, since they won't know the mods are engineered until they pull you over.

that more comes from a cost effectiveness point of view, rather than an engineering point of view. for example, the cost of buying a natro skyline, then doing a turbo conversion works out to be more expensive than selling the natro and buying a gts-t by a few thousand dollars in most cases, and you then get the advantage of stronger gearbox, LSD and better brakes, etc.

as for engineers certs stopping the cops hounding you, it doesn't stop them pulling you over and giving you a serve. it just stops them fining you, since they won't know the mods are engineered until they pull you over.

Yeah definitely see where your coming from, but my main concern is the police giving me not only fines, but sending me back over the epa pits etc AGAIN haha. This is what has prevented me buying a fmic etc, because i did not fancy having to pull it all off and fit the stock one just as i am about to have to do with my exhaust. After seeing that an engineer certificate isnt quite as hard as i originally thought, i can go ahead and do some mods and get it certified.

Btw- I really dont have a problem getting pulled over, i expect it driving a skyline to be honest. In my experience the police have always been more than fair to me.

Interestingly enough, cops never pull me over in my skyline?

P plater in a skyline with a cannon and they just dont seem to care about me at all

Suzuki swifts driving a tiny bit faster than myself (still under the limit) got pulled over but not me ... No idea why but So far so good for me :) never once in 3 years of owning the car

Yeh i reckon it all depends on what the mood the police are in and how bad the offence is

Definitely- the only reason i got pulled over in mine was cause i didnt see them at a set of lights and gave it a bootful. They pulled me over saying they thought it was loud, i tried to tell them it was just me driving like a dick, but i still got an epa notice. All that said they were very reasonable, and my 33 does have a big cannon, which they know isnt standard. I just expected when i got the car that i would get trouble as i have heard the whole stigma with police and imports.

Yeh we also live in WA man... I never had much trouble from the cops while I was on my P's, and since I have been off them cops haven't batted an eyelid. And my car is LOUD. WA is the place to be if you're into high performance cars :)

keep hearing that you guys get it good over there, maybe i need to move lol. In all seriousness though i thought my car wasnt that loud- i thought it would be slightly louder than legal- but it turns out it was 102db in the epa test- know i got get it under 90.. Also the policing and laws have changed heaps over here, when i was on my p's there was much less police which meant less pull overs. The amount of rbt's, drug buses and highway patrol that gets around now has to be ten fold on what it was 7 years ago or so.

WA is more expensive for the actual car itself though and most parts are in eastern states!

That's only a train ride or 2 day postage to get it there...

Ship stuff in and out of WA alot. (Not car parts).

If you're going to mod it, go and speak with the engineer, tell them what you're doing, and see what they will want from you to engineer it and what it'll cost.

Also, the engineering certificate number comes up on the registration when run by the police, after mine was engineered I never got pulled over randomly (Except into like properly setup RBTs)