SAU Community

Australia's Obsession With Falcodores.

KezR33

Alfas are nice.

Could never buy a V8 Falcodore. The fuel consumption is just shocking... 20L/100km if you even go near the right pedal. Released figures are utter bullshit - Got a mate who works as a car salesman for a Holden dealer - drives a R8 HSV thing to and from.

You can't compare a BMW M5 to a HSV whatever. BMW is just leagues ahead of any holden.... Bigger don't mean better...

That said, one day I'll buy a V8 falcodore cause its an aussie icon :P (Probably won't keep it long though...)

Magazines have compared them, and found the 5 series to be not much better than the current model Calais or Statesman. These cars aren't what they were 10-15 years ago. At less than half the cost of one, I'd only buy the Beamer for the namesake. Even W427 vs. M5, it's still tens of thousands cheaper, and both perform very similarly.

What gets me though are these guys that if you offered them any non-super car (say anything under $150k) they'd STILL go a Falcodore of some sort, and what's what I was getting at in my original post.

I have no idea why someone would pay good money for a brand new Falcon/Commodore, but 2nd hand, that's a no-brainer.

They are actually dirt cheap brand new aswell. No one needs pay any where near sticker price.

They're dirt cheap and no problem to insure. 3rd party property damage, fire and theft insurance and she's ready to roll for around $150 annually.

Immobilisers from factory, spare parts from Autobarn, lazy torque for the city and good highway economy.

Excellent aircon and moderate glass areas so you're not cooking while you drive.

The worn out stub axle/front end days have gone so they sit reasonably well on the road at highway speeds.

Brakes are fine for normal driving conditions, most are autos and perfect for city traffic.

Towing will rip their arse out but who cares, they leak like seives from factory.

You can drive passed the revenue collectors in a dunnydoor and not get a 2nd glance, same can't be said for an import. Expect to get a thorough going-over and if he doesn't like you, off to the pits for some added inconvenience.

Anyway that's why we've got an everyday dunnydoor.

I got a Foulcan for much the same reasons. Aircon blows cold, cruise control works well, car is quiet and comfortable to drive. Damn thing has ipod connectivity & blueteeth from the factory. It even rides/handles pretty well - ESC is switchable but will let you get a little sideways when it is on. Plus I can still move about when I get out of it after a three hour drive. Something I cant do well when I get out of my GTR.

Alfas are nice.

Could never buy a V8 Falcodore. The fuel consumption is just shocking... 20L/100km if you even go near the right pedal. Released figures are utter bullshit - Got a mate who works as a car salesman for a Holden dealer - drives a R8 HSV thing to and from.

You can't compare a BMW M5 to a HSV whatever. BMW is just leagues ahead of any holden.... Bigger don't mean better...

That said, one day I'll buy a V8 falcodore cause its an aussie icon :P (Probably won't keep it long though...)

I do better than 20L/100 mostly peak hour driving and my BF XR8 has a whipple supercharger on it. Gets pretty much the same economy as my R33 did.

w427 is ugly

aussie care of today are just aimed at bogans from broadmeadows.

I am offended both as a Collingwood supporter and a Penrith native.

What gets me though are these guys that if you offered them any non-super car (say anything under $150k) they'd STILL go a Falcodore of some sort, and what's what I was getting at in my original post.

Yeah it does exist, the imports are just as bad though, look at all the tools I revealed who said they'd choose the keys to their R32 GTR over a Ferrari. That's fanship gone bad.

• Like 2

I do better than 20L/100 mostly peak hour driving and my BF XR8 has a whipple supercharger on it. Gets pretty much the same economy as my R33 did.

Come on, any R33 with that fuel economy is invariably fux0red, so it's not really a fair comparison

^Pretty sure he meant the XR8 has fuel economy similar to that of his old R33, not that the R33 gets close to 20L/100km.

I'de take the Ferrari, sell it and build a GT-R and keep the change for a house deposit or investment ?

What's wrong with that ?

That wasn't the question put forward, it's which car you'd take for a drive if held up the keys to both...or which car you'd keep. If it's to sell, of course people are going to choose the Ferrari!

Is someone going around offering people free 150k cars?

No?

Well, GT-R it is then. Pure beast.

And my 5L Stato to get to work. Pure crapheap. You can feel the weight in the steering and brakes. Reminds you of how dangerous the car would be sideways at high speed. Keeps me in check.

----

If someone IS throwing around massive amounts of money for free, I'd still probably choose a GTR over a Ferrari. Why? It's my preference. It's why there are so many manufacturers making cars out there year after year. People buy them. From the Getz, to the Lanos, to a GTR, to a Ferrari.

I'm also keeping in mind how easily parts for a Ferrari are to find. GTR's are hard yeah, but honestly, nowhere near as bad. Think how many mechanics fix them, how much will that cost? Scratch the paint? How much will that cost?

Not to mention, everytime I see a Ferrari, I think the driver is a cock. Why? No reason at all besides they spent a lot of money for something that provides _pretty much_ everything a GTR could.

Oh, the chicks on the corner dig red Ferrari's? - That's simply because they don't understand cars, so to fit in, they like "Big red loud fast cars" - gg. The ones who honestly DO understand cars, don't go out there and buy a Ferrari. They don't.

Edit: If I had $20,000,000 resting in a bank. Ok sure, I might waste some money on a Ferrari then... But I don't.

Further Edit: ^ Even then, I'd only have to car to impress the people who click when you say "I own a red Ferrari" - Like a friend I once knew, used to tell the chicks at the club to come home with him in his Porsche...... 914......

Edited by GTRPowa

you can easily pick up clean VT/VX with the 5,7 LS1 in it for under 10K. And you can get XR6T for just over 10K.

These are two cars which are good in plenty of aspects (no need to mention why, they have already been mentioned numerous time in this thread)

so if you want a quick family sedan/ Sleeper this is your car......

then to talk about current FPV/HSV models...

even top gear speaks highly of these cars http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PkiZdcAR6WU

thier compared with other High Performance sedans. The HSV is half the price and you get a similar thing (obvisouly not the badge, but the rest of the stuff)

0-100 KM

FPV F6 - 5 sec

I would never buy an Australian car new because of the depreciation, but i would consider the ss or F6 second hand.

Basically though, the reason there is an obsession for the falcodore is because we are in australia and you get a lot for your money. The obsession for v8's are because we just copied what the USA did with their cars. and everyone loved them since. The sound, the size, the HP....

the best australian cars arent even Falcadores

Wakefield%20Park%20Original%20Jpeg.jpg

BlackList_Colt_Monaro_006.jpg

Copy%20of%20Monaro%20Commodore%20002_edited.jpg

Edited by ML73ZR
  • Nope 1

Why not have the best of both worlds and buy a manual Legnum VR4 or Stagea? :pirate:

Not cheap to maintain, but they are very cheap to buy, are practical and are an absolute hoot to drive!

Oh, and I'd take a FPV F6 in a heartbeat if I could afford it. The FG models are absolute weapons.

last time i checked skylines depreciate like a lead balloon with the exception of SOME.

better off leaving it bog stock any dolllar extra you add forget it wasted money.

oh and that monaro is in the USA

i'd take an m5 over a hsv IF the price was comparable but 80k to 250k.. well its a no brainer.

Alfas are nice.

compare a hsv senator to an m5 its not a bad comparison (big 4 doors, big engines, high level of equiptment) particularly talking retail prices. You'll lose alot more on the m5 in the long run too.

20L/100 duno about but if i flog my skyline its not exactly a hybrid either. Not to mention current models have AFM (switch off 4 cylinders and the LPG system that allows them to run on gas and keeep same performance)

well my first car was a V8 commode, ol VN SS was a piece of piss to maintain (apart from changing leads LOL), cheapish to run as a first year apprentice, big enough to have sex in, and sounded nice. Parts were cheap and I didn't care about buying some cheap ass OEM ripoff part from Bursons, knowning it was going to work just as well. Wouldn't dream of doing the same in a Jap car.

My R32 has more comfortable seats, but the 'fun' of driving it gets diluted by my 70km commute every day.

I like that in a Commodore you can pretty much turn your brain off when driving (esp in an auto) - whereas in my Skyline I'm rev matching gears cause the gearbox is notchy, and watching for it to not overboost etc, it's not as nice to just 'cruise around in' because it requires constant driver interaction.

TBH when I can afford it, i'd probably get another V8 commodore for a work thrasher, and keep my R32 for the weekends.

Agree with the points about mechanics and maintenence - around here you HAVE to do most of it yourself or with mates, as mechanics still have this 'jap crap' mentality when it comes to imports.

The problem I have with Falcodores is they seem very cheap on the inside, in my opinion they just aren't a very nice place to sit. To compare my '98 R34 GT-T and my '01 Legnum VR-4 to a similar year SS/XR8 there is just no comparison, the jap car is a million times nicer place to be.