SAU Community

R33 Gts-T Weight Reductions

Well im happy to sweat in the heat if it means my engine stays happier so I have just decided to go the full hog and remove excess weight from the R33. Unforunately my Alpine deck, monoblock and sub aren't going, but I will build a lighter box and fit it next to the battery so I have some boot room.

I have done some searching and the best specs I could come up with were:

15kg for HICAS

25kg for Air con

10kg Sound deadening

3" catback? decat pipe for track

What are the other things people are modding which is providing a weight reduction? If 1360kg's can be into the 1290kg area with these mods Im sure there is going to be a big difference in power there.

IT's not power but accleration that you will notice.

Also what are you using the car for. if its manly track look at the removing the rear seats, carpet, anything you basicly wont need. and why not just get some more powerful speakers and ditch the sub and amp.

Facoty front seats weigh a tonne, spare wheel well weighs a ton, so if you are serious cut it out ands weld a flat plate in.

Replace steel bonnet with Alloy GTR one, same with front guards

heaps of weight to be pulled out, but doesnt make it very street friendly

Well im happy to sweat in the heat if it means my engine stays happier so I have just decided to go the full hog and remove excess weight from the R33. Unforunately my Alpine deck, monoblock and sub aren't going, but I will build a lighter box and fit it next to the battery so I have some boot room.

15kg for HICAS

25kg for Air con

10kg Sound deadening

What are the other things people are modding which is providing a weight reduction? If 1360kg's can be into the 1290kg area with these mods Im sure there is going to be a big difference in power there.

so you are removing aircon, but keeping the sub and amp? that's just weird....

• Like 1

15kg for HICAS

25kg for Air con

10kg Sound deadening

In a R33 GTST replacing the HICAS with a lock bar will save you 5kg, not 15kg.

I weigh a lot of things when removing and adding them to keep a bit of a personnel track of how my car's weight goes.

Rear seats will give you 10.9kg if removed.

Replacing the front seats with some jap brand recliners will save you around 6kg depending on what they are. If going fixed back it would be closer to 10kg.

You can also remove your rear windscreen wiper, the washer lines going to the rear and also the front lines and washer bottle with fluid to save 6-9kg (depending on how much water you normally have in there).

Carbon canister and all lines is another 2kg.

Replacing your factory brake lines with braided ones is 0.5kg :P

I want a reliable daily that is decent on fuel. I think I can achieve this with tuning/slight mods and weight reduction. Obviously mods like going to 10psi isn't going to help with fuel consumption but you need a bit of give and take =)

Mods so far have been:

K&N Filter (Have to fab some sort of CAI asap for this)

3" Catback w/ cannon at rear

R34 SMIC - Going to wire up a waterproof 120mm computer style fan to drop temps even more

Got a 50mm alloy Radiator in the post - already flushed radiator and water pump works well

Going to wire in a relay for the 12v thermofan in front of the radiator to work with a switch

Removed air con system from under the bonnet

By next weekend will be wasted spark setup, Eagle 9mm leads and new plugs.

Mobil semi-synthetic 15W-40

Then RB20 10psi wastegate

SAFCII install and dyno tune

I figure that will do it until I want to put a dump and high flow cat on.

Maybe should do a gearbox fluid flush also.

+1 People are strange....

Where did I say anything about removing the rear seats?

I think removing the air conditioning does alot more than just free up weight. It lets the radiator get more airflow to and through it, the engine doesn't have to spin another belt and pulley (even though it's free wheeling when the air con is off). Also heat doesn't get onto the radiator on a 38C day @ 4pm coming home from work, sitting at a light intersection when its stop and start.

I assume the 15kg figure for the HICAS is complete removal and S14 subframe fitment.

A daily driver that doesn't have aircon for the sake of fuel economy???

good son of rajab, I've heard it all now.

anyway, this isn't FI performance related, moved.

Once I get my motorbike licence I will re-install air con... but until then I need to get to work and back quickly through traffic. I really should have picked an R32 though =/

Once I get my motorbike licence I will re-install air con... but until then I need to get to work and back quickly through traffic. I really should have picked an R32 though =/

Seems like a waste of time removing the aircon then re-installing it later, id just leave it in and not use it and just have ur windows down/ sunroof open if u have one, as you will not seen any difference in performance or be any quicker in peek hour traffic with it removed

Edited by ecliptor

also, its been proven that aircon, when used will only add 1l per 100km on top of what your using. forgot what show i saw this on, but it did entertain me.

the aircon screws with your poerformance though, you already have turbo lag, now your just making it worse with the aircon.

even for a semi track car, id keep the aircon in, just buy a bigger alloy radiator......

and for fuel reduction, get a nistune (if its available for the r33 ecu)

I had to change the power steering pump, harmonic balancer and pulley... at the same time I removed the radiator and the air con wasnt even hooked up properly from when I bought the car. I figured that I was going to put in a 50mm radiator (which is coming Mon/Tues) so I could get it back. I guess the 20kg's worth of weight maybe not worth it considering I can just up the boost a little more. I just don't want to cain it then all of a sudden sit at a three light change intersection and have it overheat. I guess with a good cooling system its not going to do that.... will it do anything damaging over time to the car though? (extra heat from a/c condensor) - or will the radiator regulate the heat totally?

Why would you flog the car in peak hour where that kinda overheat issue would occur - and even then, it's a stretch at best.

The factory cooling is quite good for a mildly modified car.

I think you are far too worried about absolutely nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

should have just taken the belt off the compressor and left it at that if your planning on re-fit. the money you save on fuel economy will be blown apart when you pay someone to re-gas your aircon.