SAU Community

6Boost Rb26Dettt Manifold Install

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Kyle from 6boost said, it was the only way to get a decent design. Worth it if the gains will be what I expect. Only way to get ahead of the pack is to go outside the norm..just gotta make the right selections ;)

Matt

Engine is in. Rear turbo inlet pipe fouls on the Strut tower.. I gather the manifold sits the turbo's in a slightly different position to std. More custom work required.

The Gearbox was also insanely hard to get in with the rear head drain...was hard enough with the Rb30 and sump adaptor which stops the motor tilting down as much. Its a pry bar job now.

Matt

Edited by BoostdR

If there are gains to be had... I'd be keen.

Saying that... by the time we'd buggered about with buying/fitting the manifolds, modding the intake pipe work, modding the oil and water lines, 'adjusting' the dump pipes/down pipes etc...

... aren't there a pair of top mount, external gate turbos to fitt- they may result in better performance??? for no other reason than there is not as much comprimise for fittment or wastegate size???

I don't know? I guess I'm asking the question- hmm.

What ever the answer, I like what BoostdR is doing- I can't wait to see the results!

Cheers

J.

PS. BoostdR- Do you get much low end comp surge? If so, I'd love to know if these manifolds help illiminate it..

I did have compressor surge before....only when boosting in a low rpm high gear. I feel the pipe kit will help this as I was still using the twin turbo pipe.

There are also alot of variation that could effect my rear turbo inlet pipe position.

Rb30 sits the head higher

Engine mounts position in the slots

Cast alloy hard pipe accuracy.

So if the manifolds are out a smidge and you used the standard rubber inlet pipes you wouldn't have and issue. Just very hard as the rear turbo outlet stops you doing that.

More findings today I'm sure.

Matt

Edited by BoostdR

Front pipes fitted up ok. I have modified the alloy hard pipe rear turbo inlet. There is about 5mm space from the front turbo wastegate and 10mm-15 to the strut tower. I also had to grind the upper suspension bolt for clearance as it protrudes into the engine bay by about 15mm near where the power steering resevoir is mounted. This has to be moved also.

looking forward to startup tomorrow.

Matt

Thanks for the kind words =)

I had to finish a 32GTR I had here today...took longer than expected so I have no updates for you.

I will get a some more pics. Makes more sense than my ramblings!

Matt

Seat of the pants results

Makes 1bar by about the same rpm, having said that it is noticeably more responsive from 1000-4000rpm. It makes 1bar just after 4000rpm however goes from 1bar to full boost in a few hundred rpm savagely. The motor also wants to rev, where as previously it would trail off around 8000rpm.

I had to drop the boost to 1.4bar as it's maxing out my 1000cc injectors. Will get some 2000cc for the dyno

The hard pipe kit has helped compressor surge, it still surges however is alot less and happily revs through.

Matt

Nice! Sound much different revving out?? So when are the new injectors and tune coming, and what boost are you going to run it to? Time for a new low mount 1/4 mile world record? ;)

Nice! Sound much different revving out?? So when are the new injectors and tune coming, and what boost are you going to run it to? Time for a new low mount 1/4 mile world record? ;)

I does sound quite different, louder and throatier. Injectors and tune won't be to far away. I just have to sort out some small issues, like why my Y intercooler pipe keeps blowing off and mounting my catch can... maybe also rotating the rear turbo outleft away from the front manifold.

No chance of a 1/4 mile run in Adelaide...we don't have a track :-/

Matt

Sweet! I would be most keen to hear how different it is to the stock manifolds...like putting a big single highmount manifold on any RB sounds insane compared to the stock manifold.

I'd love to see that old HKS low mount record get broken!!!

lol, I think I may need a wee bit more than red line gear oil for that! 13 broken gearboxes is enough for the time being :thumbsup: