SAU Community

Gts -T Race Car Build - Ideas For Weight Reduction

nickor33

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took the 33 to the whaleweigh station last week and found out its not a whale at all. Its a big fat pig. 1565 kilo full wet with me on board. Knock off 100 kg for me and its still a lard arse.

I was hoping for around 100 kg given the amount of stuff I've thrown out plus the full alloy gtr front end but when you add up what you put back it makes sense.

Steel 6 point cage, extra bracing, 30 bottom end, big brakes all round, surge tank and pump setup, even the hotside with the bigger turbo, himount and gate setup weighs heaps more than the standard item, bigger cooler, catch can etc. the list goes on.

Short of going full track spec and ripping it apart there's not a great deal I can do to get it down much further.

I am considering tossing out the alsd and all related hardware such as pump reservoir and lines etc so there would be a saving there but to keep it street legit theres not much more I can do.

I took the 33 to the whaleweigh station last week and found out its not a whale at all. Its a big fat pig. 1565 kilo full wet with me on board. Knock off 100 kg for me and its still a lard arse.

I was hoping for around 100 kg given the amount of stuff I've thrown out plus the full alloy gtr front end but when you add up what you put back it makes sense.

Steel 6 point cage, extra bracing, 30 bottom end, big brakes all round, surge tank and pump setup, even the hotside with the bigger turbo, himount and gate setup weighs heaps more than the standard item, bigger cooler, catch can etc. the list goes on.

Short of going full track spec and ripping it apart there's not a great deal I can do to get it down much further.

I am considering tossing out the alsd and all related hardware such as pump reservoir and lines etc so there would be a saving there but to keep it street legit theres not much more I can do.

Just wind the boost up a few more PSI to over come the weight...

Yes the ALSD does weigh a s**tload more Noel... I would turf it and replace with a mech. rear diff from a R33 or R32.

1465 wet without driver is actually not too bad mate for a car that is caged with track set-up brakes etc. at least you're man enough to weigh the thing and publish the number. so many people swanning around saying "my car weighs about 1200kg cause I took out aircon and the back seats" are living in fantasy land. the sad thing is that people hear it and then think "well fk me I want my 32 GTR to weigh 1200kg too". and then go and try to actually do it not realising just how bloody hard it is to get a skyline down that far.

This is my R33GTST,

reshell006.jpg

it has a cage, as little interior as possible and none of the original wiring. Most of the sound deadening is gone. The bonnet is the only FRP panel. The drivers door is the only lightend part.

note there is only the brake line remaining.

054.jpg

the 1 cut out door, I run a window net and there is normaly an unbacked black carpet trim that covers the hole.

070.jpg

nothing much under the dash

056.jpg

but has a dash

074.jpg

Various cage shots`1`

069.jpg

066.jpg

065.jpg

067.jpg

058.jpg

fuel set up, 1/2 std tank full

073.jpg

with out me in it

076.jpg

first weights with me in before levelling the car

078.jpg

now for the fun to start. This is the first time I've done this so any help will be welcome, whats next????

This is my R33GTST,

reshell006.jpg

it has a cage, as little interior as possible and none of the original wiring. Most of the sound deadening is gone. The bonnet is the only FRP panel. The drivers door is the only lightend part.

note there is only the brake line remaining.

054.jpg

the 1 cut out door, I run a window net and there is normaly an unbacked black carpet trim that covers the hole.

070.jpg

nothing much under the dash

056.jpg

but has a dash

074.jpg

Various cage shots`1`

069.jpg

066.jpg

065.jpg

067.jpg

058.jpg

fuel set up, 1/2 std tank full

073.jpg

with out me in it

076.jpg

first weights with me in before levelling the car

078.jpg

now for the fun to start. This is the first time I've done this so any help will be welcome, whats next????

Mik at Signature Now has carbon doors, dash, Front splitter diffuser aero bar and passenger side headlight with cold air intake available for the 33 Nod.

Theres quite a few kilo's in that lot if you can afforsd the stuff.

Noddy, have you done anything to the boot?

I pulled mine off the other day and it's rather heavy, the shocks and hindges were about 3kg in total alone, was thinking of cutting out all the innder webbing of the boot, piss off the hindges and run pins/straps.

The two post wing needs a bit of strength in the lid so not yet. I am looking at getting a carbon boot using pins and a better wing. That will have to be a little further down the track, when the wallet is fatter.

Thanks for the info Harry, will be giving it a go tomorrow night.... with some drinks so anything could happen!