SAU Community

My Gtr Stolen

scotty014

Ask to see the footage of the tow truck so you know what it looks like and honestly, spend a few hours of free time just sitting outside the car park watching cars going in and out. Ask the center if that has happened before. If its the first time, its definately planned. If its occasional that cars are stolen or there is some history of them being towed away, chances are these people patrol the car park waiting for a good catch. You've got nothing to lose really.

Keep your eye on car sales, ebay, here, boost cruising, drive, trading post etc for cars matching or parts matching yours.

Sorry to hear dude. So long you've got full comp cover, I guess its not too much of a loss.

Also, I would not waste my time in a GPS tracker. For half the cost, a GPS scrambler can be purchased :( Even home made. The GPS signal is not very hard to distort or shut down.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So u sayin the clever thieves are likely to carry a GPS scrambler or jammer??? What else can u do against those bastards and lowlifes - alarm, immobiliser, insurance, what about a kill switch?

There is nothing you can really do. All you can do is full comp cover. You wouldn't even need a GPS scrambler, just cut the power in the car.

Its just like when people key cars. People say don't park in places prone to it. Thats not gonna fix it. Its just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I have 2 kill switches. I also have 2 of the loudest piezo sirens INSIDE my car - I dare any would-be thief to stay indise the car for even 1 second tring to disarm the blaring alarm. I also have a remote pager alarm, which goes off in my pocket up to 1km away if anyone either tilts the car (I have a mercury tilt-switch) or sets off the alarm. I also always use my club lock.

I have foiled would-be thieves before in a local shopping centre by running out of the shops when the pager went off in my pocket .... money well spent.

But as everyone says if the REALLY want it they are going to get it no matter what.

where can i get those sirens?? maybe swap my alarm siren for that one..is it inside ur car, where?? lol. I have a heavy steering lock also.. heard of the kill switch but dunno how it works, isnt it the immobiliser - ie that 'kills' the engine.

You wire them up in parallel with your siren (you still want to retain a loud siren in the engine bay to aleryt passer-by the alarm is going off). Mine are deep up under the dash (one is actually inside a vent pointing forwards). They are similar to these:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Piezo-Siren-Car-alarm-system-security-LOUD-/260741335966?pt=AU_Security_Equipment&hash=item3cb5650b9e

A kill switch can be done in many ways, but one of mine is a direct ignition cut (independent of my immobiliser) with a very secret touch-sensitive switch that needs to be held down while turning on the ignition in order to start the car. The other kill switch is completely different again, but I won't reveal details.

My grandpa has an old school Falcon and in order to start his car you need to turn the heater/blower motor on to the "4" setting in order to activate a solenoid, which lets you start the car.

Of course all kill switches can be gotten around given enough time, but the object is to deter and/or disturb the crooks so they give up or choose a different car.

Problem is that, even with loud alarms, someone in a legit looking tow truck (chuck some signwriting and stolen plates) and noone will try and stop them.

My grandpa has an old school Falcon and in order to start his car you need to turn the heater/blower motor on to the "4" setting in order to activate a solenoid, which lets you start the car.

Just take out the distributer arm. and chuck it in your pocket

Ive got one of those internal car alarms and f**k me when I forget that my immobilizer is on and I'm in the driver seat about to start the car and it goes off. Hands on my ears and piss out of there haha.

My old R33 had a paging system good for 2km. Wouldn't do jack shit though in a shopping center, too many walls kills the range of the product.

What we need is an alarm system that once activated has a blow up dumby that turns around and punches ten shades of shit out of the would be thief.......Well we put man on the moon over 30 years ago didn't we. :blink:

This got posted on my Facebook wall when it happened, havn't had a chance to check it out on here! Fkn horrible luck, thoughts go out to you. That is really sad news..Even though it's a slim chance now, i hope the car gets found and if not you/the cops find the rats that did this. Hope the Insurance goes smoothly at least as they can be a pain in the ass too, having worked for a major Insurance company before. Good luck mate.

Sorry to hear!

Is there any parts (besides panels) that would stand out? Ie. Custom 1 off Nismo front strut brace or something?

Other than that, security wise I think you're best off trying some of the following...

- Get a tilt sensor and/or glass break sensor

- Get a SMS pager with back-up power supply of some sort (well hidden so it pages you as soon as the car tilts - I'm personally no more than a 5 min sprint away from my car at all times and probably less when I'm boiling with rage knowing somebody is touching my pride and joy...)

- Piezo siren will help but I believe that due to some law, car alarms have to shut off after a certain period...

- Battery back-up siren (incase they decide to remove the battery connection)

- For car thieves NOT using a tow truck, remember to have a trained professional install your alarm. People seem to think that super advanced alarms with a million features is more important than the actual install. Incorrect... if I can find your alarm (most lazy installers will just put it under the steering column), it's not going to take long to figure out where the black wires intercept into the loom and go from there. A proper install will take longer and be more expensive but if it looks like it's part of the loom or even better, very difficult to get to... chances are the thief is going to give up.

- Try and do some research on factory security flaws. As most of our loved cars are from Japan, culturally - theft isn't a huge issue over there so I don't imagine security being extremely high in terms of priority. I remember vaguely there was a way to start the S13 from under the bonnet regardless of alarm... but I could be wrong...

- If you know your engine bay well, a cheap security method against normal thieves is just to pull random parts out :) Fuses don't work so well as they could swap them around if they were smart/bothered enough...

- If you know wiring looms etc yourself, try "stealing" your own car to illustrate any flaws it might have.

There's a lot you can do to try and deter/prevent theft but as always... especially with tow trucks, if they really want the car, they'll find a way :(

Edited by aozora

Damn Scott I only just saw this now! :( Any progress?

My $1700 pushy was stolen from out the front of my work the first day I rode it. It was in the middle of the city and in broad daylight, had a huge lock on it as well. Nothing compared to a GTR but I feel exactly the same about all liars, cheaters and stealers. Want to stab their eyes out to tell you the truth, can't believe people can be so low.

Hope they find it... hope the guy gets it >.<

I've been told about this product called Etrace, by a colleague who's selling it in Aus.

Apparently it is a bit of hardware you install that reports your GPS co-ordinates, including speed, location etc every few seconds. You can track it on the website using Google maps. It's handy for organisations that have a few cars, or people who might contest speed camera fines. It also tells you where your stolen car is!!

I've been told it's around $750 installed, which includes a few years of tracking with the provider.

Anyone heard of this product? Do you think it has its merits?