SAU Community

R32 Gts-T Project

Figured i'd post up about the GTST that I picked up last year.

Have previously owned the following:

• 93 charade: 1.5L motor swap, cam, whiteline suspension catalog etc
  • 99 Pulsar N15 - cams, extractors, exhaust, springs etc
  • 89 Mazda 323 - b6t engine swap, exhaust, intake etc
  • 93 180sx - t28, rims, suspension, FMIC etc
  • 94 Pulsar n14 - sr20ve, cams, ecu, coilovers, 4pots, lsd etc
  • 02 Bora 4motion - cams, retune, coilovers, brembos etc

Loved the Bora but wanted something cheaper, more fun to drive, and track oriented.

HCR32 gts-t, previously owned by member on here "Bangn", his thread here:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/329420-r32-gtst-project/

Bought the car with the following mods:

45V1 R33 Turbo running 14.5psi

Nistune Ecu - tuned to 236.5rwhp

Bosch 040 Fuel Pump

3" Bellmouth Dump Pipe

3" Mandrel Bend Exhaust System

All new Power steering hoses

All new Cooling hoses and bypass hoses

All new Vac & Breather Hoses

All new fuel hoses from tank to the front of the car

New Rocker Cover Gaskets, D Rubbers & Bolt Washer Rubbers

New Injector Seals upper and lower

Intake Manifold stripped off, acid bathed and re-sealed

Hicas Lock Bar

Gearbox overhauled with new bearings and seals

New K sport Coilovers

New Front Nolathane Camber Adjustment Bushes

New Front Nolathane Caster Adjustment Bushes

New Front Nolathane Lower Control Arm Bushes

17" Buddy club P1s wrapped with 235 GT Radials on the rear and 225's on front

Oldschool Momo Wheel

Greddy/Grex Diamond Gearknob

GTR front Bumper Rio

VZ Commodore Side Guard Flashers

Stripped back the GT Badges to Chrome Finish

Sound deadner and all sound insulation removed, boot also stripped

324mm GTR front rotors with unique autosport caliper brackets

Brand New DBA 4000 Wiper Slot front and rear Rotors

Brand New EBC redstuff pads front and rear

BeeR rev limiter

Fire Extinguisher fitted to passenger floor

18% Tint

Few pics:

R32.jpg

Interior.jpg

Took me about a week before I put in GTR seats for better support and head clearance (as i'm 6'2)

seats_in.JPG

Took it to the drags as is and ran 14.1@102mph with a 2.37 60'

13 in it with a better driver and better tyres but not really into straight line stuff.

Bought a kakimoto regu 06&R catback, which sounded great, but a bit too quiet for me since its only a weekender.

Found that it didnt give the best fitment on my car either due to the custom front of the exhaust.

So swapped back to the straight through 3" system.

Swapped out the K-sport coilovers as the 12kg front springs were too stiff, and I wanted something with a better reputation.

Now running on BC "gold" coilovers, and wound them up slightly for better ground clearance.

100000 times better handling!

Did a drive day or two, and had some fun driving an RWD car in anger for the first time:

IMG_8847r.jpg

Car then developed a missfire, so I replaceed the coilpacks with Yellow Jackets, as they were a shitload cheaper than splitfires, and have a longer warranty.

Fixed the issue thankfully!

Bought a set of Federal 595RS-R tyres, 215/45 front and 235/45 rear, and they are fantastic!

Great grip, and cant wait to get to the track to give them a real workout.

On a "sprited drive" through the perth hills last month, the old RB20 decided to spit out all its coolant.

I Babied it home, 30 minutes with the temperature gauge off the chart, not so much as a cough or splutter :D

Decided to do the following as I believe some maintenance items were missed

a) New OEM timing belt

b) New OEM thermostat

c) New OEM water pump

d) Cooling Pro 42mm alloy radiator

e) new coolant, oil filter and castrol sport 5w30

The plastic fitting on the OEM radiator was broken off in the top radiator hose, so glad I replaced it!

Touch wood, but the 225,000km old RB20DET lives on!!

Recently noticed that the body has the following issues

a) Fiberglass front bar has cracks in it, and the paint is bad

b) a big scratch on the front 1/4 panel

c) rust in the rear guards

I have purchased an OEM N1 front bar, and will team this with a carbon front lip and N1 nostrils, and get the other stuff fixed up.

Other plans:

Cusco or Quaife LSD - std viscous unit is single legging at times

GTR injectors - have these

Z32 AFM

new turbo - Hypergear ATR43-SS1 or HKS gt25/30

Be happy with a nice responsive ~300rwhp that I can use on the street/track without worrying about breaking too much.

Thanks for reading the essay, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Replying, there is in fact some interest out there!

I'm 6'2 as well, and my car has the factory sunroof so headroom... Isn't there. How much headroom did you gain switching to the GTR seat?

Edited by CanadianGTST

Replying, there is in fact some interest out there!

I'm 6'2 as well, and my car has the factory sunroof so headroom... Isn't there. How much headroom did you gain switching to the GTR seat?

Its hard to say exactly, but id say about an inch, can now squeeze in with a helmet which is the main thing for me.

there aint nothin like a neat r32 in black!!!

i like it.

ps: there are a couple of realy good reasons why splitfires are more expensive than 'yellow/red/green'- purple jackrts

there aint nothin like a neat r32 in black!!!

i like it.

ps: there are a couple of realy good reasons why splitfires are more expensive than 'yellow/red/green'- purple jackrts

In the end, they do the same job and have 3x the warranty at about 1/2 the price. I couldnt be happier with them.

Love the black P1s. Mmmmm.

Also, hilarious numberplate

I've been considering changing the colour to white as I love that colour contrast, pain in the ass to keep clean though!

and yeah the plates are good, got a big laugh from the shannons guy when I was getting insured :D

took out the car to time attack last night.

Wasnt very fast, huge learning curve coming from FWD n/a cars to a RWD turbo on the track.

Ended up with a loose bolt on the power steering pump coming undone and covering my engine bay with fluid, not sure how to clean it out yet given all the electricals in that area.

Have decided that I really should get some more seat time before I go hunting for more power, the car likely has 4-5 seconds of time to gain just from a better driver.