SAU Community

Gt3076 Tuning

I've recently had my R33 gts-t series 1 RB25 tuned with the following NEW mods: Garrett GT 3076 AR 0.60, Apexi Power FC, Apexi AVC-R, Nismo 740cc injectors, Z32 AFM, Walbro Intake fuel pump 255l/hr 500hp rated, Super Spark coilpacks, Apexi Power intake, 3' Exhaust turbo back, FMIC, NGK plugs gapped to 0.75mm, running on BP Ultimate 98, and this is the end result...

post-80081-0-55921700-1305704576_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the turbo is very laggy, and max power output of only 230.8rwkw @ 15psi. I believe the tuner has done best he can with the setup. How can I possibly get more power and response from the car, as quite honestly it was more fun to drive with the stock turbo @ 1bar of boost?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id drop the exhaust before the cat and do another run.

But to be honest the 3076 doesnt really wake up until 18+ psi

and the response looks pretty good to me.

So check for obvious retrictions in the exhaust, and drop it for the next dyno run, Im not sure its that as the power doesnt drop off up top.

next would be throw more boost at the thing and see if the power goes up.

Only other thing I feel worth mentioning is, that the .63 will be choking the 76mm comp wheel, so you will never get the most from the turbo.

Is it internal gate or external gate?

Power curve looks about right. Could be that the dyno is reading lower than others. Are you running the stock intake pipe from the pod filter to the turbo?

Is there a reason your only running at that boost level? Seems abit low

Have a look at Lithium's chart post #625 http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/55845-rb25-turbo-upgrade-all-dyno-results/page__st__620

He has stock manifolds on an unopened engine. Has gone to some trouble to get it to hold boost (you need more boost) and has a .86 AR making 300kw but still with better response than yours.

Maybe you need an external wastegate, better boost control and maybe try another tuner.

The boost curve on that looks much like when I had the soft actuator, get a big can actuator and that'll really liven things up - the one supplied seems to open at about 11-12psi no matter what you do and makes it feel quite lazy.

In regards to the power made, mine still made pretty decent power on 15psi - GT3076Rs work fairly well at 1bar still, they just come into their own versus small turbos at higher boost... more due to the smaller turbos maxing out than the GT3076R NEEDING lots of boost.

Maybe that dyno is particularly harsh? Does it feel fairly quick on the road once boost is built up or is it definitely feeling like the 230kw number suggests?

something must be wrong

3076 on 15psi should make alot more then 230kw. more round 260kw mark.. and 300kw around 18-20psi

uve got issues u need 2 sort out.

something must be wrong

3076 on 15psi should make alot more then 230kw. more round 260kw mark.. and 300kw around 18-20psi

uve got issues u need 2 sort out.

I've got a Garret GT3071 (smaller than the 3076)on my R34, and I get 260rwKW at only 16PSI, and the response is just as good as the factory turbo. Next I'll be putting the boost up to 18PSI with the hope of getting about 280rwKW.

Paul

^ Thats in line with what he said RB25s would do with a GT3076R so not surprising. Until the GT3071R starts choking they'll both make similar power levels vs boost levels.

I know of a 3076 iw .82 making 265rwkw here in SA. I have the same turbo but 52t instead of 56 getting tuned tomorrow. Will let you know. As my high boost will be 16ish psi

It depending on what sort of dyno ramp the tuner's running and etc, I think its a pretty realistic result on 15psi. Run that to 20psi you probably see close to 300rwkws. Also make sure the intake and exhaust are pretty free flowing.

On any sensible reading dyno, I have no idea how 230kw is what could be considered as realistic for a GT3076R running a bit of boost into it - unless it was an RB20.

On any sensible reading dyno, I have no idea how 230kw is what could be considered as realistic for a GT3076R running a bit of boost into it - unless it was an RB20.

agreed....you'd get that out of a std turbo...lol

Can OP please note if a custom dump had to be made and if a spacer had to be used on the manifold or if the turbo bolted up and used the same dump pipe design as the stock turbo?

If no spacer and same dump flange as stock then the rear housing is one of those choker RB specific items, if not the response actually looks fine and a high strength actuator at 20psi should be employed.

I think that will wake it up as stated prior but only if its the Garrett housing and not the special skyline one.

I have similar issue as you I want to crack 300rwkw On my r34 GTT I made 343rwhp @ 20 psi which is 255rwkw roughly, anyway I think there might be a leak somewhere possibly (GFB stealth blow off plumed back) if I open the valve it feels lagy once shut it feels bit more responsive.

i have standard actuator that came with turbo ,like Lith said probably need to get Big can Actuator or weld external gate to exhaust housing its an option.

mods

-Gt3076R from (Tweakit ) internal Gate turbine Housing 0.76a/r

-3"1/2 inch turbo back exhaust with high flow cat

-Low mount 6boost manifold

-Tomie Type B cams and exhaust tomie cam gear

-Deutschworks 600 cc injectors

-PFC

-Plazaman Inlet Plenum and Throttle body

-Z32 AFM

-Splitfire coils

-Walbro fuel pump

-Hks 100mm FMIC

-Sard fuel pressure regulator

and other supporting mod's

post-73281-0-38005300-1305810185_thumb.jpg

why go 6 boost then use a horrible tweakit internal housing? i'd say that'd be your biggest problem, also being a hyperdrive tune it'd be on the conservative side.

boost control could do with some attention aswell

At 20psi [and the supporting mods] you would be making 300rwkw with a genuine 3076. You have the supporting mods.

And leaning out at 4-45000rpm, do you get any knock?

I am surprised that ppl don't do more research before they slam 2g's on the table for a turbo - plus all the other $$$$for peripherals and tune etc. There is enough info on this site for anyone to see what they can expect when they buy Turbo brand XX to know that in some instances you have to either be happy with a 'restricted' performance or walk away!!!

And if your ever unsure, slip somebody a PM and talk to them. There are plenty on here that I annoyed before I made the decision........but thankfully I listened to them and followed their advice [son of rajab knows why, I'm usually so pigheaded].