SAU Community

In Car Camera Recorder

Hey guys, due to quite a few of my mates recently getting picked on by the police even though they drive fairly stock cars, theirs and my P Plates are kind of like a beacon to be pulled over. Just wondering if you guys know of any good in-car cameras in the $0-$200 dollar range that can be mounted inside the car that is always recording and has a fairly high image quality and also captures sound.

Cheers,

Borci88.

IIRC you cannot just record either, you must make the officer aware of doing so first.

You'll find doing such a thing will almost certainly see you with an EPA and a canary combo.

Realistically driving a modified import (turbo or not) is illegal so picked on - not really, but video/record it and watch it escalate to a whole new level IMO.

Better off taking your chances without it and not giving attitude in the first place.

Im pretty sure video is alright without permission like in cctv but when your recording audio separatly or aswell as video you have to make them aware it's being recorded. Police just like call centres inform you when they are recording audio.

Edited by Mendoza

Exactly right which is why the camera will be used to record my actions prior to being pulled over to be used as evidence if I say not guilty, I'm well aware that u must tell them that you're recording which is what I'd say from the start, if knew I had done wrong then there's no point telling them I have a camera as I'd be guilty regardless, it's just a safety net for if they try to ping me for other things I never did which has happened to two of my good mates so far. I drive a Non Turbo skyline which other than the exhaust is legally modified so I don't have a problem with anything else. GoPro was definitely what I was thinking but other than watching MX vids of it in use I don't know much about it, I sha'll have a look cheers!

Im pretty sure video is alright without permission like in cctv but when your recording audio separatly or aswell as video you have to make them aware it's being recorded. Police just like call centres inform you when they are recording audio.

At present, there are no laws governing recording of data in a public place (a roadway, by definition, is a public place).

The consensus seems to be that whatever you do in public, you should be willing to have recorded.

There are laws that prevent image/audio recording where people have a reasonable expectation of privacy (e.g. your own home).

The police inform you because things you say/do might be used in evidence, and there is the requirement that you are informed (basically because they have an unfair advantage).

The reason that call centres inform is due to the Telecommunications Act 1997 - you are using a carrier service, and it's unlawful to record something carried by such a service without

either a warrant, or informing the parties that they are being recorded.

Outcome: As of now (2011); by law, you don't need to inform a police officer (or anyone else) that they're being recorded by your camera/phone/incar surveillance

if you get pulled over and are recording them from your car. The police officers have no reasonable expectation of privacy when they are interacting with you.

Regards,

SW

Outcome: As of now (2011); by law, you don't need to inform a police officer (or anyone else) that they're being recorded by your camera/phone/incar surveillance

if you get pulled over and are recording them from your car. The police officers have no reasonable expectation of privacy when they are interacting with you.

Links please.

I think I've seen something similar called an "eye-witness" or something to that affect. So if there's a crash, red light offence etc. against you, you can show footage and prove your innocence.

Not so sure about them being used for interior recording but I don't see why not?

Still seems like a pretty good idea.

There's one in the latest Repco catalogue for $299 (save $200 apparently)

It's called a "DIY Drive Incident Recorder" and it mounts on the top of the windscreen and has 2 cameras to record forward facing and also in the cabin/through the back window. Also has a G force sensor and GPS tracking.

Links please.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/other/lawreform/VLRC/2010/18.pdf?stem=0&synonyms=0&query=right%20to%20privacy%20in%20public%20places -

Victorian Law Reform Commission on Surveillance in Public Places (2010).

"At present, no Australian jurisdiction has enacted a statutory cause of action for invasion

of privacy, and no appellate court has acknowledged the existence of a common law tort

of invasion of privacy."

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/taaa1979410/ - Telecommunications (Interception and access) Act.

"(1) For the purposes of this Act, but subject to this section, interception of a communication passing over a telecommunications system consists of listening to or recording, by any means, such a communication in its passage over that telecommunications system without the knowledge of the person making the communication."

This Act is the one stopping you from recording another party's telecommunication without their knowledge,

is the cause of the "you are being recorded" messages when you're speaking to a call centre,

and is the probable cause of the oft-repeated but mostly-wrong "you can't record someone without their permission".

Cheers,

SW

Edited by saliya

snapback.pngRB25PWR, on 20 May 2011 - 10:39 PM, said:

Links please.

http://www.austlii.e...public%20places -

Victorian Law Reform Commission on Surveillance in Public Places (2010).

hehe how odd that one of the few cops in here is the one who wanted citations for that post..

good to know as i assumed this was the case but didnt want to go toe to toe with a pissed off copper over the issue. I know in the US its pretty different and wouldnt risk it there, dont plan on antagonising anyone with a camera here either but good to know just in case.

thanks Saliya...

oh and cheers Shellz, off to hunt down a Repco catalogue.

My gopro plastic mount/housing has completely fallen apart...

couldnt find a decent online repco catalogue, will just have to drive to the nearest store.

hope its still on sale!

oh and thought this was relevant re the filming police thing.

Edited by hamiltonau

good to know as i assumed this was the case but didnt want to go toe to toe with a pissed off copper over the issue. I know in the US its pretty different and wouldnt risk it there, dont plan on antagonising anyone with a camera here either but good to know just in case.

thanks Saliya...

Hey,

You don't want to go "toe to toe" anyway - just keep your mouth shut.

Since you're not telling them they're being recorded, they won't be upset about it.

If they see a camera and ask that it be shut off, politely ask them why and

under what law they are making the request. They are law enforcement officers

and if there is a genuine applicable law to enforce they should be able to tell you.

And always try to pass the d1ckhead test - no need to make trouble for yourself :)

If a police officer makes trouble, you want it to be perfectly clear that's what happened when you go visit their CO.

Regards,

Saliya

Hey Pat I found the catalogue.. ended the 22nd :(

Aww crap..will drop around to one sometime to see if they keep the discounted price going for some reason but oh well, go pro works just gotta get a new housing. Just annoying as it will be the 3rd one..

How funny is the pic they use in the ad for it? WTF is the passenger doing? seems to be bracing for a crash due to the drivers texting, as if you wouldnt be reaching for the wheel..and its using that advertise the camera? yay, catch yourself in the act of being a dickhead driver right before a crash. awesome.

oh and cheers Saliya, good advice.

This is pretty good but a little more than your budget. http://www.hksaustralia.com.au/component/content/article/34/163-new-product-49010-ak001

It even has GPS and G-Sensor so if your car is unattended and gets reversed in to it will start recording (due to the G-Sensor) to catch the person responsible. It's great for recording motorsport as well with 2 cameras to catch all the action. GoPro's are great for out-doors activity but this is better for in car recording.

Cheers

Marty

Here is a store that have lots of cameras for different applications or put a package together ya self.

http://www.ozspy.com.au/products/3-DVR-and-Accessories/372-vehicle-hd-dvr-with-screen/

BUT if your like me and out on weekends of a night, thats when all the stops and interrogation happens. So id be finding out how well does a camera record in the night, pretty much anything well record with daylight, you could even use a typical hidden pen camera available in security equipment type shops (there pretty good) but not so good in the night. Im having my cameras installed: front view ( in car) , cabin view, rear view (in car) and a hidden camera in the side panel between front and rear drivers door, facing outward to film anyone standing next to the driver door. Ive even looked at wireless cameras that can attach to my jacket or T shirt which is a good idea too, so when ya being told to get out of ya car to lift ya hood, or when they act in a manner unbecoming etc etc can keep everything in full view of the camera with audio at all times, and as far as telling them your recording them, forget that, anything in the public domain can be filmed legally. Ive became ANTI Highway Patrol since owning a Skyline due to the amount of stops 'colorful' language and Intimidation used by Police as a result of me driving my car in a manner totally legal, ive even been 'stopped' while already stopped .... :S It doesnt matter if you set an example by driving in accord with the law, it doesnt matter if you have P plates or not, your still going to be trageted for driving a Skyline, as has been explained to me many times im stopped. I have a clean Driving record Gold Licence, no criminal history etc, yet sometimes it seems they think im bin laden.... Its pretty unprofessional and disgusting behaviour that ive seen and been subject to without cause. So the more cars with cameras the better, the more footage the better!!!!!

• 2 months later...