SAU Community

R34Gtt Vs Evo7/8

The RB is a cancer cell of its own in comparison to a 4G63, Im surprised you even compared them in terms of reliability.

And yes the Evo's are thirsty.

Go and test drive one at a dealer and see about a trade in if your serious.

GL

I didnt find my evo thristy. My mate gets 450kms out of his 250kw evo 8 everyday driving. Longer on the h/way.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll throw in a few more facts and call it a day .

With the 4/5/6 Ralliart made the Evolutions from the ground up , they didn't start with a front wheel drive shell and sart bolting bling bits on . This is why you can't economically start out with a CE Lancer and end up with an Evo 6 .

The Evos started as a combined effort by MHI and Ralliart and when they started ging places MHI had Ralliart do the 4/5/6 from a clean sheet . If you don't think so park a 6 and a CE next to each other and crawl all over them .

Things like lights and doors maybe the same but just about everything else is unique .

The sporting Evolutions of which there had to be 500 of 5000 homologation specials were of course the RS models and they were 100 Kg lighter because all the lounge room stuff like elec windows/drivers hand bags/radio/aircon/ABS/AYC alloy wheels were omitted - just like a real racer . They used thinner glass as well .

They had to have the same format suspension and suspension location points to qualify for Group A rallying .

Once you go to the larger 7s , CT9As , the rules had change to WRC regs and the manufacturers could alter things and not have to have them in their road cars . A WRC 7 is not a sporting evolution of a road car Evo 7 and Mitsy could do things to make the road cars a bit easier to live with .

Also the CT9As were developed by Mitsy rather than Ralliart because they are not technically production homologation specials . Some manufacturers like Toyota went to the extremes of shoehorning the GT4s running gear into a Corolla making it a sort of unique kit car . Another story .

Um yes fuel consumption , what fuel consumption . From what I hear 10/100 is virtually impossible to get from even stock standard ones - not matter how sedately you drive them . I asked Scott Kahona (Insight) about this and he puts it down to the short close gearing and low down torque they make . Also they are hardly fly weights for a 2L car . Most Evos had smallish fuel tanks but from memory the 8MR and 9s had a larger I think 55L tank , the other may be 43-45 but I can't remember .

Ride . The CT9As had an optional PP or performance pack which consisted of lighter wheels and yellow sport Bilsten dampers . The rest get Tokiko dampers which are adequate if in good nick but the Bilsteins give a better ride and more controlled handling . With a bit of stuffing around they can go into a CP9A as well , I have a set of 8MR struts ready .

Wheels , your a bit lucky with wheels because they virtually interchange with Skylines - well R33 GTS25Ts anyway . I bought a set of Enkei RPF1s in 17x8.5 that came off an R33 25T , they are exactly the same diameter width and offset and stud pattern as the Rays LM1 GT4s on my R33 . Same profile 235 45 tyres too .

I think you need to get a ride in a few near std Evo Lancers to get an idea what they're like .

If your used to firmer aftermarket suspension in your road cars then std spec Evos won't worry you .

I think ownership of Evo Lancers is something you do when your tired of modifying general use type cars even performance ones . I think they are closer to what people would like to end up with if they didn't get too carried away .

Sorry to be a grinch but the Pulsar GTiRs were not a successful formula , too front heavy and suffered chronic cooling systems problems . They also lacked acceptable suspension travel and the body shells are not nearly stiff enough . I think Murray Coote tried to make something of one many years ago but like Nissan Motorsports they got nowhere . Tis a pity because they are a good looking compact car but under the wool is no wolf .

A .

I was looking at Evo 8 MR and did some test drives and they are a really really nice car

ended up getting R34 GTR "which is modded" is no where near fast in street driving... just don't have any get go below 3000rpm much compared to the Evo 8 MR

My personal opinion is Evo 7/ 8/9 and specially 8 MR will almost certainly beat R34 GT-T in every Test "Looks, performance, handling and Interior"

against R34 GTR...not so much but, Evo's are bloody fun car to drive

umm I think looks and interior even is subjective - IMO the R34GTR / GTT looks a lot better than a 4 door evo / sti anyday, and the interior of the 34 also has a nice quality feel to it - thick leather like handbrakes, stubby gearknob, nice chunky steering wheel, seats, those analogue dials in the centre all add a a nice touch, eg compared to an evo or cheap n nasty silvia interior.. Looks - the 2 door 34 with the proper stance - masculine and sexy, can you say that of an evo..

But performance - GTT/GTR - this is where it gets disappointing on all fronts - the super-hyped 'god of jap supercars' cannot keep up with a 4 door 'performance lancer' mod for mod on the street, not even with its 6 cylinder twin turbo donk and all the electronic wizardry..I'm talkin mod for mod here, on a long straight stretch or 0-300km/h, surely the GT-R and even GTT will have it, but who goes driving to those speeds anyway?????

Phaarking evos - make our skylines look over hyped and embarrssing in some respects.. Was always a skyline fanboy, will always be, but am also showing big love to the ugly mitsy now... future car - DEFINITELY

If you have a look at past best motoring lap times etc, you'll find the 34 gt-r tends to be on par with evos which in turn tend to generally do better than the sti's. Granted this is race track conditions where the RB can stretch it's legs (rev out) but that's one of the key attractions of having a turbo skyline imho, that it likes to be drivien sportily and revving out/making all the right noises.

Really though, you're comparing a totally different class of car.. as much as people love to stack an evo to a gt-r.. the evo is a rally machine whilst the gt-r never had rally in it's mind meaning Nissan could afford to have the car be heavier/performance focused at other areas. If you really wanna compare mitsu to nissan then you should compare a r33 gt-r v-spec and a mitsu gto vr-4 mr imho.

As for a 34gt-t looking good, don't make me laugh! See.. looks are subjective. And the interior of the entire r series of skylines aren't that great to be honest, probably the same level as the evo interiors when comparing the same year models.

Sorry to be a grinch but the Pulsar GTiRs were not a successful formula , too front heavy and suffered chronic cooling systems problems . They also lacked acceptable suspension travel and the body shells are not nearly stiff enough . I think Murray Coote tried to make something of one many years ago but like Nissan Motorsports they got nowhere . Tis a pity because they are a good looking compact car but under the wool is no wolf .

A .

Not trying to derail this thread but...like all things, GTiR can def be made to handle with some basic upgrades, my brothers car is a perfect example, it was an understeering, nose diving, pig of a thing when he first got it but swaybars, springs/shocks, camber and castor soon sorted that out....they are front heavy and they failed in all forms of rallying for this reason...im not sure what cooling issues youre aware of but cooling is not an issue on the street, you can turf the top mount interwarmer with a front mount kit for a few hundred bucks...like I said, theyre no EVO but then theyre a lot older than an EVO! Pricing under $10k, theyre a potential bargain IMO...

Back on topic :)

yes thats one thing - 4 door sports cars - dont look as good as a 2 door - but agree in everything else the evo dominates..

Lol, I'm not being a dick or anything but have you been in any quick skylines, particularly GT-R's ?

have driven just one stock R32 GT-R with full exhaust only and it was far from quick, not at all, a laggy bastard, the stock blue 2 door 99 model STi I drove was a much better, quicker and nimbler drive, the lightly modded old evo 3 I sat in would poop on either of these cars -- easy! !

Does someone local have a 'quick' gt-r that I can sit in for 10mins to re-gain my confidence and old love of skylines and forget about EVOs -- for a while... :O

I had some smart ass in a EVO 8MR goad me into a traffic light duel the other evening, I must say GTR launch > EVO launch. Lag wasnt a factor because the poor guy was still trying to get his bucket moving wondering WTF just happened :)

Though if you are not willing to launch or change gears often the EVO would be the better car.

Do you prefer an AWD super quick car with fast reflexes or do you want a RWD quick cruiser that can also handle well but needs a few decent mods?

Put some soft coilovers and a GT2835 and supporting mods on a R34 GTT and it would be more than quick enough for you (considering it is 2WD). Woudl end up being the same money as a decent Evo 8 I would think.

GT2835?? Im thinkin of hypergear atr43 to get 280ish rwkw, and yes need some cheap rear SOFT coilovers - current cuscos are hard - too much wheelspin in 1st and 2nd sometimes even with low power of around 210ish rwkw, stock blower, 12psi

But performance - GTT/GTR - this is where it gets disappointing on all fronts - the super-hyped 'god of jap supercars' cannot keep up with a 4 door 'performance lancer' mod for mod on the street, not even with its 6 cylinder twin turbo donk and all the electronic wizardry..I'm talkin mod for mod here, on a long straight stretch or 0-300km/h, surely the GT-R and even GTT will have it, but who goes driving to those speeds anyway?????

You still putting GTT in the same sentence a "god of jap supercars"... And then calling an EVO a "performance" lancer? :rolleyes:

You asked for peoples opinion - and i knew it would only end one way - A GT-t is a Ford Falcon Taxi compared to an EVO, they are in no way comparable at all and so far apart it's not funny.

A GTR & EVO each have thier strong and weak points. Lets not forget as well the GTR is essentially built on a platform from the early/mid 1990's where the EVO 7 onwards (new platform) is 2000 onwards or there abouts after the EVO's didnt need homologation anymore and all the tricky diff and computer business was installed.

No, ur wrong, by 'god of jap supercars' i meant the over-hyped GTR of course - read "not even with its 6 cylinder twin turbo donk and all the electronic wizardry." Only the GT-R has that. I put GTT/GTR together as they r both skylines, albeit very similar and also quite different as well.. It is kinda embarrassing to have to compare a nice sports coupe like the skylines against a 4 door 'performance lancer' / shopping trolley which has every chance of kicking our Nissan's ass..

the EVO lancer has nothing in common with the grocery getter version of the Lancer, this has been said a few times.

A rwd Skyline is really a run of the mill jap taxi, there is nothing overly special about them, sure plenty of aftermarket support, but a VN V8 commodore does too.

If you want a "nice" sports coupe, have a look at a Soarer/Supra, RX7

Compare the quality of the interior of the Mazda and the Tojo's to a Skyline, its like comparing a 1970's Fiat to the lastest from BMW.

In my opinion my R33 felt cheap and nasty compared to my current Soarer.

I'm sure some fanboi's will try and flame me for saying this.

All I can say is open your eyes, yes the Skylines are quite a nice car and can be made quick for cheap, but my Soarer and plenty of other cars (including local ones) can be every bit as quick as a rear drive skyline, just takes a bit more nous than ebay bolt ons.

Anyhoo, back on topic lol.

Daily drving to work and having fun on the track or up mountain passes, I would take the EVO any day of the week.

If you want to do long distance touring, than go a Skyline/Soarer/Aristo or anyother turbo 6 pot out there.