SAU Community

What Are We Squatting Here?

Flynnn

Since when do they squat at the Olympics? Silly n00b. We're talking about squats here. Not clean and jerk or snatch.

;).

Lol @ calling me a n00b. Check my join date buddy ;)

Have you seen how deep a clean and clean jerk front squat squat is? makes back squatting look easy.

When you can front squat 160kg without lifting shoes you come see me OK mate? :thumbsup:

skip to about 1:00 in

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a question.

Should I be doing as much weight as possible for squats to get 6 reps or should I be using a lighter weight and getting out about 12-15 reps (currently do as much weight as I can)? I've only started doing leg exercises for the past two weeks and these are one of the few exercises that I do that include legs (also do dead lifts and lunges)

Edited by Dani Boi

blah blah blah do the birds program way and after years of doing so people will still never know you've stepped in to a gym blah blah blah

I can't believe that YOU are giving people advice and distributing programs that you put together..

seriously.

lol my routine has nothing to do with this and you don't even know what my routine consists of. But at least people ask me for it, unlike you, criticising anyone who doesn't do what you think they should do. For what it's worth, people regularly compliment me on what I've achieved at the gym...to the point where some have wanted to emulate it and asked me to share with them what I do. If what I've achieved is what what they want, then more power to them, I'm happy to help when they ask. It's not going to be everyone's thing, because, unlike you, I recognise that everyone has different goals and there are plenty of different ways to go about achieving them. As if I can't stress it enough, not everyone is at the gym to be a power lifter. You seem to think differently. And the fact that you knew I was referencing you in the first place, is acknowledgement of that.

size comes with strength and food.

squat heavy with good form.

reps of 6 are good.

so are reps of 10 or 5 or 3 or the odd occasion 20.

Point is, unless you are warming up, you should be lifting heavy.

If you're new to lifting the usual 3 sets of 10 is good.

heavy weights create strength. that is why the likes of 5x5 programs are so common and so frequently recommended.

as you get stronger, you will also get bigger.

endurance?? see marathon runners.. no squats there.

lol my routine has nothing to do with this and you don't even know what my routine consists of. But at least people ask me for it, unlike you, criticising anyone who doesn't do what you think they should do. For what it's worth, people regularly compliment me on what I've achieved at the gym...to the point where some have wanted to emulate it and asked me to share with them what I do. If what I've achieved is what what they want, then more power to them, I'm happy to help when they ask. It's not going to be everyone's thing, because, unlike you, I recognise that everyone has different goals and there are plenty of different ways to go about achieving them. As if I can't stress it enough, not everyone is at the gym to be a power lifter. You seem to think differently. And the fact that you knew I was referencing you in the first place, is acknowledgement of that.

sorry man.. I didn't quite get all the way through your post.. I fell off my chair laughing at the emulate part..

I assume after that point you said stuff about goals and different ways of getting it blah blah blah I'm too scared of hard work blah blah blah doing multi joint movements are too hard compared to BB curls blah blah blah lets do DB squats instead of BB squats.. it's the same thing blah blah blah

sound about right?

size comes with strength and food.

squat heavy with good form.

reps of 6 are good.

so are reps of 10 or 5 or 3 or the odd occasion 20.

Point is, unless you are warming up, you should be lifting heavy.

If you're new to lifting the usual 3 sets of 10 is good.

heavy weights create strength. that is why the likes of 5x5 programs are so common and so frequently recommended.

as you get stronger, you will also get bigger.

endurance?? see marathon runners.. no squats there.

Thanks just what I was after.

I've been clean bulking/lifting for 4 months but only been doing legs for the past two weeks *sigh*. Might do 3 x 10 twice a week for another couple of weeks and see how that goes coupled with dead lifts etc.

1. Muscular endurance is different to cardiovascular endurance

2. you can train for strength without getting bigger

3. you can train specifically for size (hypertrophy) doesn't mean you will be super strong

Anything comes with food, you work out you need to replenish those energy sources in order to recover and improve performance as well as rest adequately. It's the types of food that matter.

sorry man.. I didn't quite get all the way through your post.. I fell off my chair laughing at the emulate part..

I assume after that point you said stuff about goals and different ways of getting it blah blah blah I'm too scared of hard work blah blah blah doing multi joint movements are too hard compared to BB curls blah blah blah lets do DB squats instead of BB squats.. it's the same thing blah blah blah

sound about right?

Huh? Most of my routine consists of compound movements. Maybe you should stop assuming altogether...

And what's wrong with emulation? It's at the forefront of having goals in the first place. See something you like and want to be like that or even try to better it...

If you can't pay the courtesy to read someone's post then I won't waste my time on you beyond this post either. You were a tool in the original wasteland thread and I guess not much has changed. Good day.

So how low was that Nick?

I dunno as I was by myself and no mirror etc... almost butt to heels on the lighter weight but I'm not quite flexible enough to get all the way down... just concentrating on getting out of my comfort zone and going deeper rather than worrying so much about weight and reps... feels like a better workout even though I didn't go as heavy as usual

Thanks just what I was after.

I've been clean bulking/lifting for 4 months but only been doing legs for the past two weeks *sigh*. Might do 3 x 10 twice a week for another couple of weeks and see how that goes coupled with dead lifts etc.

if your bulking legs are important as they are the biggest muscle groups in the body and working them will push you into an anabolic state which will help your whole body grow

and I have to agree with Melly, not really worth arguing about routines especially in here with most people being beginners etc... many different ways to skin the cat and even the pros don't agree all the time

Lol @ calling me a n00b. Check my join date buddy ;)

Have you seen how deep a clean and clean jerk front squat squat is? makes back squatting look easy.

When you can front squat 160kg without lifting shoes you come see me OK mate? :thumbsup:

skip to about 1:00 in

I called you n00b in terms of your squats in the olympics comment.

Besides, squatting is a normal back squat, front squats always have the word front added for clarity.

And finally, having wood under your feet is n00b, I don't care what you say. Squat shoes are different and have purpose if you are competing, they don't for your average gym lifter. You should focus

on form first.

I love Big Hos though, nice link.

My ass cheeks are clenched like fuark, major pain on booth cheeks and my core has been killing me the whole day.. was a insane workout session last night. 3km's of cardio and hit the legs soon after, almost collapsed just walking up the stairs to my front door.

Barbs what kind of cardio are you doing prior to the leg work? If it is running/cycling, wouldn't it be more beneficial to do that after the leg workout?

not really worth arguing about routines especially in here with most people being beginners etc... many different ways to skin the cat and even the pros don't agree all the time

Well that's all I was saying...

Barbs what kind of cardio are you doing prior to the leg work? If it is running/cycling, wouldn't it be more beneficial to do that after the leg workout?

Well that's all I was saying...

Start off with power walk and gradually increase the speed to 11 and run all the way through. I find doing cardio first easier because i have plenty of energy to burn off, what ever is remaining i work it out for lifting. I have tried doing the reverse plenty of times before, leaving cardio for last but most of the time i dont have the motivation or energy for it as its all burnt up, end up walking out after my lifting session.

I have tried doing the reverse plenty of times before, leaving cardio for last but most of the time i dont have the motivation or energy for it as its all burnt up

What does that tell you? It tells you that lifting weights is a more effective at burning energy.

If you enjoy running, run. But if you're running to lose fat, you could be doing it better.

Here's why, when your metabolism is elevated your body burns energy(fat).

When you run your metabolism increases. When you stop running your metabolism returns to normal shortly after and your body stops burning energy.

When you lift weights your metabolism increases. When you stop lifting weights your metabolism stays elevated, up to 8hrs after. Your body continues to burn energy.

Body of a female marathon runner:

92.jpg

Body of a female weight lifter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ9DvZufTTE

Explained more here: http://ptcfrankston.com/doc/newsletter/PTC_Newsletter_IssueNo37.html

Edited by GHOSTrun

That guide is definitely spot on. Except I train 5 days a week. I've noticed my strength has increased dramtically from performing squats. One day I focus on going heavy as I can whilst aiming for full range of motion and my other day I do squats with more reps which is mainly hypertrophy. Feel really good now.

Just when people talk about training legs gets you even more motivated to smash them hard :)