SAU Community

What Are We Squatting Here?

Flynnn

And have caveman man-legs.

You forgot that part. :P

I go to that gym he's talking about and none of the women look large or muscular. They look atheletic and strong, yes, but theyre powerlifters not body builders.

So yes, replacing squats with a leg press machine or any leg machine is absolutely stupid, but what is more stupid is to think you don't have to do leg press exercises as well.

Uh the gym I go to has no machines at all, just power racks and free weights. Most of the guys in there squat at least 130kg, with quite a few doing 230kg+. There are a couple of world record holders and some of them have never used a leg press in their life. None of them have used one since joining this gym.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not talking about power lifters here buddy, talking about the average joe. leg press is an isolation-based exercise

and the average Joe should be squatting not leg pressing, if they're lifting for health & wellbeing not bodybuilding...

• 2 weeks later...

I'll finally put my 2c into this lol....only really just started bothering with squats (I know I know....), so this evening pushed out an easy as hell 10 reps @ 100kg. Funny, because when I used to do squats end of last year, 60kg was HARD...now I reckon I'll be on 120kg next leg day for sure!

hey guys,

got a question for some of you who do fairly heavy squats and dead lifts..

do any of you do much core work to help protect your back and spine when it comes to heavy squats and dead lifts?

(and if you do what exercises do you do also sets reps etc)

or do you think that your squats and dead lifts give you all the back and core strength you need to do heavy weights?

deadlifts and squats are two of the best core buliders u can do IMO

if u want to further improve it, avoid using machines and where possible do ur exercises standing up or with no back rest

ie instead of doing seated shoulder press witha bar bell do it standing up etc.... u will generally lift less unsupported though

If u wanna protect ur back, build up slowly and dont go too hard to quick... and if u are performing these exercises and u feel even a slight tweak in ur back FOR GOD SAKE STOP!!...ur only goin to make a small tweak worse and its goin to be alot sorer when u cool down

Edited by GTR_JOEY

deadlifts and squats are two of the best core buliders u can do IMO

if u want to further improve it, avoid using machines and where possible do ur exercises standing up or with no back rest

ie instead of doing seated shoulder press witha bar bell do it standing up etc.... u will generally lift less unsupported though

cheers for the reply mate :) yer i figure that they already work it alot.. was just looking for more lol. and i hear mixed opinions at times...

i do shoulder press standing already. and dont use any machines at all, as i do my workouts at home, have a squat rack, bench, chin up bar and free weights.

im guessing u dont do other core specific exercises then mate?

yeah sometimes i like to throw in a few core exercises

some are:

knees to elbows (hanging on a chin up bar then curling ur knees to ur elbows)

Leg throws ( lay on the ground with someone standing behind u, grasp theyre ankles and get them to throw ur legs to the ground)

Prone holds combined with medicine ball twists and crunches

theres a million things u could do hey...be creative lol

yeah sometimes i like to throw in a few core exercises

some are:

knees to elbows (hanging on a chin up bar then curling ur knees to ur elbows)

Leg throws ( lay on the ground with someone standing behind u, grasp theyre ankles and get them to throw ur legs to the ground)

Prone holds combined with medicine ball twists and crunches

theres a million things u could do hey...be creative lol

overhead squats

superman pushups

weighted planks

hyperextension or GHR (weighted)

ab wheel rollouts

cable twists and variations

pull ups with leg raises (can add dumbbell between feet)

but yeah anything where you pick up heavy shit off the floor and put it above your head is working your core pretty damn hard!

Woodchops and other cable pulling exercises where you are standing up! Don't attach the "machines are bad" stigma to all cable equipment, these exercises target side muscles which are often neglected by traditional workouts and exercises, where the focus is purely on push and pull in front and behind. On the Hollywood front, girls dig obliques ;)

• 9 months later...

Husky 33 is VERY knowledgable, I'm impressed, Mike and Tolga know, as does Keiran

Stolen S15 (Nick) is a machine, one of the hardest trainers I've ever seen, I have a vid of him running 140m.........with a 140kg barbell on his back, running

Gday Ali, long time no speak

I think Nick has since squatted 250kg, in competition, and Ghosty can rep 2 x bw squats all day

Some pretty strong dudes in here

• 3 months later...