SAU Community

My Rb30 Block Prep

deep_space

Sexy!

You've put a bit of work into that!

Another tip my engine builder suggested (but I'm not sure I'll bother with or not) is a splash guard I guess you would call it that deflects the oil dropping down from the oil returns in the head to the side of the block so it doesn't drop onto the crank which creates further drag and additional oil mist in the crankcase.

Makes sense I guess but where do you stop??

thanks, yea the cleanup work was done by my mate Grootie from Grooties Race and Resto in Adelaide.

the rb30 center returns hug the wall as you can see in the picture next to the bottom of the piston bores, and dont present as much as a problem as the rear galleries do, as the center area is a tornado of oil anyhow due to the spray from out of the sides of the bearings. the rear galleries however dump most of the oil back into the sump and on serious drag cars or circuit cars, presents an issue wh ere the oil is actually going back up those rear galleries, therefore not allowing the oil to flow down there fast enough. Those cards you were talkin about would be best placed there , we thought about doing it, but its a prick of a place to try and weld in some cards/baffles, but it can be done. I think it would present the best payoff/benifit, i guess, for the oil control issue in these RB motors

Im sure this has been done to death previously, and ps im not a mechanic, just a hobbyist.

cheers.

Sexy!

You've put a bit of work into that!

Another tip my engine builder suggested (but I'm not sure I'll bother with or not) is a splash guard I guess you would call it that deflects the oil dropping down from the oil returns in the head to the side of the block so it doesn't drop onto the crank which creates further drag and additional oil mist in the crankcase.

Makes sense I guess but where do you stop??

also called a windage tray.

thought about 2-3months after it was in the car, should have adapted the 26 windage trays to suit the 30.....

bah, next time...

• 8 months later...

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but does anyone have more photos of exactly what holes to drill out so can do it before taking my block to the machine shop.

For the oil feeds, returns, or both?

quoted for what reason?

and possibly about to do this in the following month.

Had trouble sending from my phone, hence the double post, but BEARING SPINNER was telling SHOOTA that "its called a windage tray" . . .but thats not what SHOOTA was talking about

a windage tray is in place to stop the crank from whipping up the oil in the sump(as it spins) and possibly away from the oil pickup

SHOOTA was asking about baffles that deflect the draining oil from dropping onto the crank

Had trouble sending from my phone, hence the double post, but BEARING SPINNER was telling SHOOTA that "its called a windage tray" . . .but thats not what SHOOTA was talking about

a windage tray is in place to stop the crank from whipping up the oil in the sump(as it spins) and possibly away from the oil pickup

SHOOTA was asking about baffles that deflect the draining oil from dropping onto the crank

ah, mis read it.

my bad.