SAU Community

The Evolution Of "night Fury"

Paid a deposit for the bars this morning....looking at a 3-4 week wait..bloody WA !!

Not just WA Jez; they are having difficulty supplying everyone currently.

Thanks for the heads up Dale.....btw - what are the disadvantages of going with a 20mm on the rears?? Is there a massive difference in performance etc. Will it even be noticeable? They have access to the fronts..waiting on the rears (want 22mm).

• 2 weeks later...

Bored of waiting for the sway bar install and the wing is still work in progress so took the car out for a drive this evening.....few pictures :)

That ass :wub:

b1ab3db8-0490-4458-85ba-979698abb61a_zps

Kicking myself for not taking my camera...was such a nice evening !!

77c1a4fe-b4d8-4e0a-862f-d1e44c577ee9_zps

Don't quote me on this, I'm no suspension guru but from what I remember a big front sway bar and stock/small rear will increase under steer. So make sure you go a a decent size rear......no one likes under steer.

Don't quote me on this, I'm no suspension guru but from what I remember a big front sway bar and stock/small rear will increase under steer. So make sure you go a a decent size rear......no one likes under steer.

Yeah thats for sure Justin....I have read up a fair bit and for what I gather the stock fronts are 18mm so if you go a 24mm solid or 27mm hollow front they are more than sufficient and rears should be 20 solid at the very least to make any significant difference - though I have ordered 22mm solid anyways.

No clue when they will get here though :/ bummer

Yeah thats for sure Justin....I have read up a fair bit and for what I gather the stock fronts are 18mm so if you go a 24mm solid or 27mm hollow front they are more than sufficient and rears should be 20 solid at the very least to make any significant difference - though I have ordered 22mm solid anyways.

No clue when they will get here though :/ bummer

The supply issues Whiteline have been encountering are very close to being over; if you like; PM and I can give you some background on why it is happening.

Swaybars are arriving early next week - car booked in for Wednesday morning (YAY!!)

Might be getting my guards rolled today (if all goes well) or possibly next week as well...so can get the rears out a bit more and possibly lower the car a tad.

Gave the rear guards some good old fashioned "hammering" this afternoon....works a treat if you grind little cuts strategically along the "metal lip" bit which basically allow it to bend backwards in sections rather than attacking the whole piece as one - (as Brad and I found out halfway through)....should not chew up the tyres now.

df14db85-83aa-4884-a3dc-6531e822ecb2_zps

There was a little bit of paint flaking from the undersides despite our best efforts with the heat gun. You could not really see it unless you squatted on all fours - but I am crazy....so a light sanding and rattle can spray job was done on the insides of the lip and the underside of the arch.

672c3e16-d133-4b46-a23e-4fda41494662_zps

Yeah....wrapped a hard bit of metal with soft cloth and after heating the guards held the outsides with a fair bit of force and let loose with a fairly heavy hammer on the insides. We tried the left rear as one bit and boy was it a pain in the arse !! Halfway through we decided to cut sections and man did that help. The right was a breeze with this new technique and wrapped up nice and tight.

A good job overall and definitely no scrubbing etc...even when it squats while launching :woot:

Yeah had the guard roller but ended up not being used.

Had the new sway bars installed this morning.

Rocked up first thing and parked amongst some interesting company......

20131030_090132_zps392be334.jpg

Up up and away.....

20131030_100736_zpsfb817477.jpg

Wish I had one of these bad boys at home (hoist)....would make life SO much easier :/

6d9027f5-f15a-42d7-b6df-e713558674d4_zps

Out with the old..............

20131030_095454_zpsa77ae458.jpg

In with the new......

4e2a069e-ca76-4c08-824b-ad2f6cc1b782_zps

Back on solid ground and ready for a test run.....

24b5fbe8-1b2d-496d-a659-3450919150d1_zps

Verdict: Freaking awesome !! Massive difference !! Virtually no body roll and much tighter lines through twisties.

Hard on the rear and medium on the fronts is the right combination in my opinion. Glad I went with medium on the front because I can feel the slightest bit of "stiffness / harder to turn in" compared to before. I reckon the hard setting would be too much.

Small update:

Painted the spacers on the front the same colour as the hub to "disguise" them as far as possible.

On another note....how hard is it to flare the lip / edge of the rear arch??

Something like this.....

DSC08746.jpg

DSC08729.jpg

It will take a lot of patience skill and it'll more than likely need filler and paint after unless you really know what your doing. In fact allow for paint no matter how good you are lol.

Hahaaa...yeah Brodie....will work on that hurdle when I get to it....but it looks real nice so knowing me that will be my next project.

Picture of how the spacers on the fronts look now........

20131114_180857_zps80e5de8c.jpg

Spent this evening down at the workshop getting the wing project moving...taking forever !!

BUT PROGRESS IS BEING MADE................

20131114_171149_zpsff356ae3.jpg

Ensuring that it is well reinforced and that the light still works so after a few teething issues it is now well on track....

20131114_171133_zps0ec6fec5.jpg