SAU Community

R34 For A Teenager

You're getting a Skyline on your Ls? You have no idea how jealous I am. I didnt even HAVE a car on my Ls. Used my instructor's Yaris. Don't rush on buying it dude, you'll regret it. Wait until you have yoru full license (19/20) and buy a turbo skyline. Insurance will go right through the roof if you buy it now. And I'm talking about thrid party insurer and vehicle tax only. Copmrehensive insurance for a R34 25GT is ~$4K a year. I'd say don't buy it yet. Unless you're showing off to someone then go ahead but remember: when you're buying a car, you have to put some money aside for rego, CTP, vehicle tax, fuel and modifications.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, whoever mentioned the mx5 is on the right track. Little power, great handling is so much more rewarding to drive on your p's. I personally had an EG civic, (still have it) on my p's and I got off them a year ago hence buying a turbo car now.

I did a b16b vtec motor swap, type r sway bars and brakes, updated pads and coilovers and tbh it's the best thing I could have done other than bought a shitbox and saved my money for a car when I was off my p's. It's now stripped out with a fixed back, but it beats most n/a 6 cyl in a straight line, handles fantastic and flies under the reader with cops.

Yes it's nice to have people stare and go wow that's cool for a p plater ( I got it when I put my 15x9.5 equip 01s on it) but that's when the police started hassling me. As long as you have a p plate on your car you'll be a target as soon as your car looks modified. I've since raised my car to legal height with shitty offset rims, never gets looked at twice and still goes hard.

IMO if your gonna build a car as a p player don't buy an n/a skyline or Silvia as cops nowadays seem to have it drilled into their head that your a hoon if you drive one

Just my 2c

I'm just here to brag,

I had a GTt when I was 19, was working full time making shedloads of moolah for a 19yo by then so bought & paid for it all by myself

growing up in my teens was an awesome time, just before the p plate restrictions & when all the girls wanted to be broad minded persons like paris hilton :cheers:

If you want an n/a R34 go for it, I had an n/a R33 for my first car & had lots of fun with it, just don't be surprised if you get overtaken by falcondores.

You'll still have a great looking car but will be paying through the nose for insurance, but that's for young guys in general anyway I had mates with corollas & accords who weren't much cheaper insurance wise compared to my GTt (i think having an insurance policy with the same insurer since I was 17 helped a bit though)

good luck :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

I work for an insurance company, and always see younger kids paying stink loads for premiums. Your better off working your way up, as mentioned before buy a shitbox that wont cost you squillions to repair. Then move up to something better, with more power. Half the battle is going from a little shitbox, to a high powered car then writting it off within the first week. Countless times I have heard about this happening. HTH

• 2 months later...

I see where those who say wait untill you can drive a turbo are coming from.

I was going to do this, even thought about getting a Gtt now and sitting it in the shed getting it to where I want while driving my parents old Commodore around.

I decided to get a n/a now and sell it when I'm on my opens, as they seem to keep their value well. Insurance is pricey although I pay the same amount all my other friends pay that are also on their p's. ($1800 just car insurance) Nrma quoted my brother 3500 to insure his hiace!

I love the car, handles great and is nice to drive, if you really are in love with 34's like I am, I say go for it. Just don't crash.. :P

Drive a mechanically sound vehicle until you are on your opens or close to your opens. My first car was this- (not exact but same model)

2lky737.jpg

Now i'm nearly off my green P's driving a 206KW 350GT like this..

mmwizq.jpg

Point of this is basically- No one at high school is going to give a shit what sort of car you drive, all it's going to do is bring you unwanted attention and cost you LOADS of money to mod/maintain/insure/register...

Think before you sign the dotted line.

Edited by Seano350GT

• 1 year later...

G'day everyone i'm turning 16 in a month and i've been looking for a first car with my parents and i have finally got them to allow me to by a r 34 biggrin.gif

i've been researching this for a couple months now and wanted to get some experts (you guys) advice. i want to get a r 34 4 door sedan non-turbo manual.

what is the better type to get for a first car, a GT-T, GT-V or a straight up GT. what is perfered the 2L or 2.5L? what are the types of mileage on these cars?

Also, does anyone know an estimate on insurance (drives everyday), i'm guessing around 3-4 all up. any estimate would be great.

And any advice of anykind thanks.

Blake

mate i just bought mine and despite what everyone says, it's sick to have such i nice car on your p's. why would you want a shitbox for 3 years when you could have something epic like a skyline?

• 4 weeks later...

landscribble i have enough $ for a turbo except on P's (green and red) you are not allowed to drive turbo (unless it's diesel) that why i wanted a non-turbo.

so there is no real point of getting a non turbo, i should just wait till i'm 20 for the turbo?

Yes, you should wait