SAU Community

R34 For A Teenager

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice dude, just get a corolla or a falcondore until you're able to afford a turbo model (GT-T, GTR).

^^THIS.

dude listen: i was in the exact same boat as you a few years ago. dont bother, NA skylines arn't that great, they are WAAAAAY overpriced and you'll be pestered by the police.

Just buy something cheap to bomb around in for a few years, dont modify it (unless you HAVE to), save ya pennis then when you get off your P's. you can spend that 20 odd thousand on a tidy 34 GTT or 32/33 GTR

Edited by alex182

MX5, best handling learner legal platform you can find.

And if want a car that punches above its weight on the track and then pull chicks this is the way to go IMO.

If you need four doors for some reason buy a camary,commodore or falcon, you will get a much better far for your money.

With the MX5, get one with a hard top though.

OMG I came to give advice... I stay for the above pic.

End of the day we can tell him the best way but we all remember getting our licence... Having a cool is TOP priority and fair enough, we don't grow out of it. The worst thing you can do tho is buy something that attracts a lot of attention from the police for the wrong reasons. I like R34 4 doors turbo or non. From a p plate perspective its almost perfect. Its an R34 for starters, non turbo, can make it look nice, but thats where the trouble starts. U can get rims coilovers exhausts. Suddenly your perfect p plate car is getting u pulled over every other day, u get pissed off with it, ur paying massive insurance on the thing and there is a good chance ur gonna have an accident in it at fault or not.

I wanted an HR31 GTS-X/R32 GTS-t but had an 86 barina for my p's and this was before the p plate laws. Such good times with that car lol. My advice is, cheap to run, easy to get parts for, cheap to insure, reliable..... Then as said, once ur off ur p's or if u have the cash while ur still on ur p's, get a good car that ur gonna have for a few years no matter what. Build it up, spend ur money getting it nice then once ur on ur full license not only do u have a good reliable cheap daily, u have a nice weekend/project car.

Most these people on this thread have either only heard from someone, or have never owned an N/A R34.

At the moment I have got one, and its a beauty of a car. Picked it up for not a riduculous price, but it hasnt let me down for 3 years.

I would rather buy a nice N/A r34, and have everyone looking at you at your age, than an old bomb, that you will probably end up spending more money on fixing, and could of bought that skyline in the first place.

they are a beautiful car, go pretty hard, and is very reliable. This is from experience.

Most these people on this thread have either only heard from someone, or have never owned an N/A R34.

At the moment I have got one, and its a beauty of a car. Picked it up for not a riduculous price, but it hasnt let me down for 3 years.

I would rather buy a nice N/A r34, and have everyone looking at you at your age, than an old bomb, that you will probably end up spending more money on fixing, and could of bought that skyline in the first place.

they are a beautiful car, go pretty hard, and is very reliable. This is from experience.

do you have much basis for comparison though? I'd like to think others in this thread have some idea of what they're talking about. Especially the seniors such as Nismoid and Terry.

Here's my advice for you

I own a R34 25GT 4 door taxi non-turbo, in Bayside Blue (you jelly?) ^_^

Look it's a great car I love it to bits but be prepared to put up some $$$

There are a lot of assholes who would take the chance to key or dent ur car cause their jelly,

I paid $16,000 for the thing had to put in new coil pack and now it needs a new alternator,

It's had 1 accident (ass hole hit me)

Paid $2000 to get the bonnet and a front panel fixed

They r amazing n you'll love the looks people give u as a p-player driving one n I love it so much ^_^

I h8 seeing it needing repairs n not being able to drive it,

But like I said their amazing :)

Try to get 1 in bayside blue ^-^

Go pretty hard lol?! Compared to?

Go pretty hard lol?! Compared to?

The typical P-Plate cars, commodores, falcons, RX's etc?

Those 3-4litres take about a year to get off the line, although keep in mind i used to own a series 2 R34, which had the NEO6 engine, which was alot more powerful than 98/99 R34's.

I dont really care, Im in love with my 33 GTR anyways :). As a P-Plater, the R34 ticked all the right boxes for me :).

Haha yeah it's a nice one tho worth the $

as i said. you could buy a tidy GT-T for the same price. Throw in another couple of grand. you could step into a 32/33 GTR if you look hard enough.

Not saying it's not a good P-plater car. just not worth it in my eyes.

<- Has an R34 25Gt.

Loves it.

Agrees that it costs $.

Is one of the ones who had an accident and is paying for it :-(

Personally I picked it up because of weird reasons. I originally wanted something real basic, about $5-6k, perhaps $9k at the most, I was actually looking at a 1990 Mercedes 190e. I was then hammered by the rents to 'spend more money and get a safer and newer car'.

Basically they wanted my to spend at least $15k. I looked at falcadores and shit and wasn't too excited. Looked at the non turbo R34s, and said 'f**k it' if I'm spending that much money I'm getting a skyline.

After looking for about 6 months I actually gave up, everything I drove was disgusting. I live in Bundoora and drove all the way to a yard in Dandenong take a test drive and driving them was shitful. There was more power and better breaks in my mum's Mitsubishi Outlander than some of these 25GTs I was driving, and they were asking $16-17k for them.

I actually started looking for a BF XR6 with a ZF 6sp auto (stuck on auto P's for annoying reasons). One day my mates sends me a link to a piece of shit skyline on the net and I shrugged and went meh, but the next car down was a gem, mine...

65,000Km, 2001 S2 25GT coupe. $13,500.

Got it checked out by state roads, they were rather impressed by its condition.

Bought it 3 days later.

Now, mind you, it wasn't all perfect.

The back tyres are cured (hardened or whatever you want to call them, basically old), no one told me that or perhaps even realised (have plenty of tread on them).

4 weeks after buying it I did a 360 in the wet and went over a gutter, did alot of damage, and I'm still repairing some of the smaller stuff now, 9 months on. (Didn't get full comp cause as mentioned, it's just too bloody expensive, got 3rd fire and theft.)

I also found out during the initial major repairs that it has a GTR front rack and pinnion which has always made me suspicious.

Luckily second hand parts really aren't as expensive as you expect for an import with people like the brilliant Osaka Imports in Knox (insert advertisement money here) quite literally importing full skylines, pulling them apart and selling the parts for rather reasonable prices.

Anyway, I'm back on the road obviously, a few lil nicks here and there that are apart of learning really as mentioned above but otherwise, I still love the car... Even if I am a broke full time student...

SO

Moral of the story... Sure, fun car, enjoyable car, but you gotta realize it's not an easy car to find in good nick (my experience) and if shit hits the fan, it hits hard.

-Teir