SAU Community

Project: Beefcake

JEPPE

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of the above? Haha, the signals /are/ mixed so thanks for asking. Was trying for anything due to chronic fatigue and serotonine issues but initially I wanted to lose weight; get from 68kg to 58kg, which has essentially been done and now reverted slighty. Now focussing on strength so have increased a few Kgs in non muscle ways but I'm counting on that changing in the future. And this time I eating because I need to, not because I have out of control cravings.

The whole aim was to be as fit as possible for motorcycle racing. When I found that that might not be possible I just did it for general health. Now I find I can race (and big news last night found out my new track bike is available this weekend, eeek!) so I want to do it for both that and just being super fit in general.

Gonna just slip this piccie in here as its added motivation ^.^ so happy and excited.

6UMRKMJd_original.jpg

Sounds like you're getting into it Charlie! nice job! The birds workout sounds familiar :P I struggle with incline bench as I've never done that until recently..

How did you find genesis compared to some of the other gyms you've been going to? And yes dat pasta is awesome, I love the shit!

Thanks man :) genesis is good! Althought the seats are a bit sticky :3 it has amazing aircon though which actually makes a huuge difference. Xplode in Hallam isn't bad but it's an open warehouse so can get hot, mainly go after dark. Some of the machines are a bit jammable at times but it's $5 casual entry so can't complain. And the last one is at my apartment in South Yarra, very limited but has the basics so I can improvise a workout. Being free and 20m from my door it's pretty awesome.

And then there's my home gym on the peninsula work-in-progress which currently has a punching bag and some freeweights. Bench soon though and will rig up a pipe from the ceiling and buy some rubber bands to utilise that for chin ups etc.

So does that answer your question? Hahaha O_O

Yep, loving the food and just checked my weight for the first time in about a month, 62.5kg, has only really gone up 1kg which is awesome :)

Oh, and has Birds told you about our unofficial competition for who gets ripped first? Haha. Subjective of course to male/female versions but I think a tub of Birdseye cold rock is at stake :P

Nice bike indeed!

And no Birds didn't mention any competition! I'll have to train extra hard tonight then! When's our judgement date :P

Interesting that you have so many different places you go to, I started off at home initially which is awesome for convenience sake but only had like a pullup, bench and some dumbells.. enough to get started but now that I've been gyming with Birds really feel the burn (nohomo)

Edited by UNR33L

Thanks guys... Can't wait to get her in my garage and kiss her all over and speak sweet things in her ears/mirrors. Seriously pumped, haven't ridden the track since late Jan and it's literally been breaking my heart I miss it so much.

Yeah the different locations are a little difficult for consistency, but school hollies so half in city, half at family home, then bits and pieces here and there.

Today:

11/12/12

DB Shoulder Press

10x2 @ 5kg each

10x2 @ 6kg each

10x1 @ 8kg each

7x1 @ 8kg each

Seated Row - Close Grip

10x2 @ 60lbs

10x2 @ 70lbs

10x1 @ 60lbs + 2/3 small weights

8x1 as above

Lat Pull Down - Wide Grip

10x2 @ 40lbs

10x2 @ 50lbs

10x1 @ 60lbs

10x1 @ 70lbs

DB Squats

10x1 @ 18kg total

10x1 @ 25kg

10x1 @ 30kg

Deadlifts

10x3 @ 30kg

Barbell Bicep Curls

10x6 @ 10kg

Hard to be confident on bench press without someone to assist so didn't push that hard which was disappointing.

13/12/12

Bench Press

10x2 @ 20kg

10x2 @ 25kg

4x1 @ 30kg

6x1 @ 30kg, last reached to bottom rung only

Close Grip Lat Pull Down

10x2 @ 60lbs

10x2 @ 80lbs

10x2 @ 90lbs

DB Inclined Press

10x2 @ 12kg total

10x2 @ 16kg total

10x2 @ 18kg total

Tricep Push Down bent bar

10x2 @ 20lbs

10x2 @ 30lbs

9x1 @ 30lbs

10x1 @ 30lbs

Leg Raises

15x6

Thanks guys... Can't wait to get her in my garage and kiss her all over and speak sweet things in her ears/mirrors. Seriously pumped..

possibly getting a 34 soon, will be doing the same things to it/her/him. missus won't be impressed, but hehehhehe

good work on the lat pulldowns, 90lb is pretty beast!

Edited by darksky34

No shame in loving your vehicle! Hehe

Naw thanks dude! Hard to monitor, all the weights are different at each gym, suppose it doesn't matter as long as I'm pushing it the same amount each time!

Massive milestone reached today. For the first time /ever/ I completed 4 gym sessions in a week. Huge! And still feeling good, body is happy, appetite is happy, it's radical man :)

14/12/12

Seated row

10x2@60lbs

10x2@70lbs

10x1@80lbs

10x1@80lbs split b/t 6&7

DB press

10x2@4kg

10x2@7kg

10x1@9kg

6x1@9kg

Lat pull downs wide grip

10x2@40lbs

10x2@60lbs

8x1@80lbs poor form +4x10@70lbs

10x1@70lbs then 5 more

Squat & deadlift each

10x1@20kg

10x1@30kg

10x1@35kg

Barbell bicep curl

10x6@10kg

Nice work Charlie, I love how you actually write down every exercise will be all kinds of gainz coming up for sure with 4 sessions per week!

I agree with not being confident on bench press with no one there to spot you (remember you can always ask someone for a spot), I usually go to failure on the last few sets luckily I usually have Birds there to push me / help me out!

Thanks Leigh. Yeah I figure I'm obviously not going to see many changes short term but in 3 months I can look back and have a good perspective. Kind of like weight as well. Plus it will get lost if I log it anywhere else :P

I know that if I asked for a random spotter at the gym I would probably have 5 guys run over flailing their arms wanting to help -_- Not wanting to sound cocky but we know it's true and apparently the gym I go to in Hallam is particularly bad for that.

I allowed a guy to spot me the other day while squatting because he offered. Biggest mistake of my life. Only had two reps to go, don't know what was going through my head as I know I could have finished them independently. I think I was just caught off guard because I'd never been offered before. Anyway so I accept and the first thing he does is pull me off balance so that I fall backwards. Then we have to reload the bar and I explain to him that I just need him to assist if I start going back down for him to slightly lift up. So for the last two reps all he does is lightly grip my waist in between his hands. Useless spotter was useless. Most annoying part was that the time wasted in between the 8th and 9th rep meant that when I got back to it I was fine anyway, no pushing - no benefit.

Anyway, rookie mistake on my part. End rant lol

why are spotters always trying to jump in... my mate grabbed the bar on a bench press as it slowed quite a lot about halfway up... I was like duuude, unless the bar starts heading back down or I ask for it, don't touch the fckn bar!

I'm not defending the guy (he obviously had no idea) but it's a bit hard to spot a girl squatting and not touch her a bit intimately... the best way to help someone up from a squat is to have your arms underneath their armpits and gently lift their chest up... most people fail a squat as they get bent over at the bottom, lifting their chest usually helps them just enough to finish the rep... you can't do shit grabbing their waist

it's also okay to have a few seconds rest between squat reps... take a few breaths and refocus etc

exactly.

do not agree to a spot during squats if you are uncomfortable with a possibility of getting both titties groped and a crotch pressed against your back.

Other option is to get a spotter on both sides of the bar to grab the bar if you get stuck down the bottom....

Or squat in a power cage with the safety bars set right and refuse a spot.

I'm not defending the guy (he obviously had no idea) but it's a bit hard to spot a girl squatting and not touch her a bit intimately... the best way to help someone up from a squat is to have your arms underneath their armpits and gently lift their chest up... most people fail a squat as they get bent over at the bottom, lifting their chest usually helps them just enough to finish the rep... you can't do shit grabbing their waist

it's also okay to have a few seconds rest between squat reps... take a few breaths and refocus etc

Yah, I certainly didn't feel violated in anyway, it was probably the least sexual (and useful) place he could have touched me. His mate even said after he had tipped me off balance the same thing about the armpits. I think this dude just had no idea.

I tend to do sets of 10 in squats and dead lifts one straight after another but in a steady consistent speed. In dead lifts I don't drop the bar at the end of each rep, just hover it for a second or two near the ground and repeat. What do you guys think of this? any better/more effective/less injure prone way to do it?

exactly.

do not agree to a spot during squats if you are uncomfortable with a possibility of getting both titties groped and a crotch pressed against your back.

Other option is to get a spotter on both sides of the bar to grab the bar if you get stuck down the bottom....

Or squat in a power cage with the safety bars set right and refuse a spot.

Bahahahaha ok man, thanks. You know I thought that bulge in my back felt strange lol. If that ever does happen the guy will end up with and elbow/bar/weight 'accidentally' swinging into his face. Jus' sayin'. I understand some contact can't be helped in certain circumstances but I know when it's getting suss.

There is a cage but I haven't had anyone show me how to use one yet. I see so many people doing crazy form in them that I would like to stick to what I'm doing if I can. With the weight I'm doing I can definitely finish all my sets and I figure it will be better to keep weight a little lower while I develop my technique doing it naturally. But of course I would rather not injure myself even more than that so I will get on that just in case I need it for the future :)

I tend to do sets of 10 in squats and dead lifts one straight after another but in a steady consistent speed. In dead lifts I don't drop the bar at the end of each rep, just hover it for a second or two near the ground and repeat. What do you guys think of this? any better/more effective/less injure prone way to do it?

I got told off for doing this. While it isn't necessarily bad (though certainly has the potential to be), it's not a deadlift. Deadlift gets its name from the fact you're lifting a dead weight. If you don't lift it from a resting position on the ground, then it's not a deadlift.

As you start lifting HEAVY, there'd be a massively increased potential for injury as you're not allowing the weight to come to rest on the ground. From what I've gathered from personal experience as well as logical thinking, the lowering of the weight to the ground phase of doing more than 1 rep of deadlifts is the more dangerous part - hence why you don't often see people lower a very heavy 1RM (at least in competitions).

I'm probably wrong, but think about it :P

I got told off for doing this. While it isn't necessarily bad (though certainly has the potential to be), it's not a deadlift. Deadlift gets its name from the fact you're lifting a dead weight. If you don't lift it from a resting position on the ground, then it's not a deadlift.

As you start lifting HEAVY, there'd be a massively increased potential for injury as you're not allowing the weight to come to rest on the ground. From what I've gathered from personal experience as well as logical thinking, the lowering of the weight to the ground phase of doing more than 1 rep of deadlifts is the more dangerous part - hence why you don't often see people lower a very heavy 1RM (at least in competitions).

I'm probably wrong, but think about it :P

incorrect! there are serveral ways to do the deadlift one is infact modifying if to either half or full distance. Aslong as the form is correct there absolutely no issue in the way this is being done and no risk of injury

incorrect! there are serveral ways to do the deadlift one is infact modifying if to either half or full distance. Aslong as the form is correct there absolutely no issue in the way this is being done and no risk of injury

Yeah, anything done with correct form should remove risk for injury - unless the purpose of 'correct form' is to in fact CAUSE injury lol.

However it is still NOT A DEADLIFT and is in fact some other form of lift similar to a deadlift ;)

Yeah, anything done with correct form should remove risk for injury - unless the purpose of 'correct form' is to in fact CAUSE injury lol.

However it is still NOT A DEADLIFT and is in fact some other form of lift similar to a deadlift ;)

that infact is still a deadlift and is not even a modified deadlift. modified would be a knee high deadlift and not full extension!

The only deads i know that you dont reset the bar to the ground are sldl/ukranian dls. Its harder to pull it off the ground from a reset each time as well i find. You dont wanna bounce it off the ground though, just lower it back to the ground, pause and explode back up.