SAU Community

Rb25 300Kw Cam Upgrade

Hey, have an r33 25 unopened with bolt ons with 300rwkw (18psi)

Looking at Tomei poncam 256 8.5 or Kellford 264 9.35 (need vct removing)cams to hopefully make the car faster with more power under the peak

Experiences? This worthwhile?

Thanks

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive also considered this upgrade but unsure if the benefits are worth it? currently 340kw at wheels thru a gt35r.

house mate went 272 camtechs with precision 6765 and makes over 500 atw but the idle is just so angry its unreal.

256 tomei seem so popular?

Ive also considered this upgrade but unsure if the benefits are worth it? currently 340kw at wheels thru a gt35r.

house mate went 272 camtechs with precision 6765 and makes over 500 atw but the idle is just so angry its unreal.

256 tomei seem so popular?

There popular because there direct bolt in, retain vct and are big enough for most setups without having to have big compromises when compared to stock cams so good alround performance gain.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, I'm in the same position as the op and thought I'd join this thread instead of starting a new one.

It's an rb25 in a 31 making 300kw @ 18psi.

Would a set of 264's be a good choice? This is what I've been leaning towards.

It's a daily but mostly just for fun (don't mind losing a bit of response and torque for some good 4000rpm+ gains).

Obviously I'd get cam gears and valve springs to suit, what company would you go with?

Cheers in advance.

Hey guys, I'm in the same position as the op and thought I'd join this thread instead of starting a new one.

It's an rb25 in a 31 making 300kw @ 18psi.

Would a set of 264's be a good choice? This is what I've been leaning towards.

It's a daily but mostly just for fun (don't mind losing a bit of response and torque for some good 4000rpm+ gains).

Obviously I'd get cam gears and valve springs to suit, what company would you go with?

Cheers in advance.

As above - go the Poncams, keep the VCT, forget the cam gears or get an exhaust only.

Iv been putting off doing cams... dont know why. I think ill go poncams or custom cams seem about the same cost.

Will going to full flex fuel setup in the future need to be considered when buying cams?

dont know what turbo you have but a smaller rear housing and upgrade to e flex would be alot more beneficial than cams i think,

Im still not sure if the cams are a good thing for upto 300kw, could possibly create a bit of lag.. no arguments after 4000rpm though, on the streets where revs are usually below 4000rpm the cams might not be such a great thing

Edited by SliverS2

The Tomei Poncams are great value for money..... Mine and Ian's setups are near identical yet i have cams and his are stock (This is NEO so still relevant as a comparison i guess), he makes peak power of 345kw i make peak power of 360kw and the boost curve looks very very similar however i think mine has a touch more midrange. My car idles like its dead stock as the idle is set at 900rpm and there is no lumpiness or anger to be heard. YES i have a HKS exhaust cam gear too.

has anyone done before and after runs with/without cams?

im interested to see the actual difference they make, just upgrading cams

Thats what i was getting at above man, our setups are nearly identical.... The only difference is the cams (actually i have a full exhaust which may hold mine back a little) but it shows the power does increase with no loss of response as far as i can see.

ahh cool! so what about below 4k? before/after?

Mines not that exciting below 4k, yours will react different I reckon BUT I reckon it'll be an awesome addition to your setup :yes:

I run a ported 25, with t04z and 1.05 rear, I dont get my boost on hard till 4800 rpm, im hoping cams, and a .83 rear will bring it hard from 4k. which is what i want. Im not interested in twisting the earth at 3000 revs...

I run a ported 25, with t04z and 1.05 rear, I dont get my boost on hard till 4800 rpm, im hoping cams, and a .83 rear will bring it hard from 4k. which is what i want. Im not interested in twisting the earth at 3000 revs...

Why do you have a TO4Z and your only making 338rwkW?

Why do you have a TO4Z and your only making 338rwkW?

Well I bought the whole top end second hand, and I plan to get it on e85 in the next year or 2 when its available and do few more supporting bits for around 380-400. I love the oversize turbo, I get killer economy, its safe in the wet, and i get great top end. When it was bought 1.05 rears were only available. It'll be a bit snappier with a small housing.