SAU Community

How Much Is A Black Matte Respray?

Hey guys,

I am new to the world of cars and I will be purchasing a Nissan Skyline R33/34 around 2013 and I know I would like it in black matte (money permitting).

Is this something which can be achieved without losing an arm or a leg and without being dodgy?

Cheers for any help,

ッ.jp

I talked to some painters recently regarding satin black and they said the cost of the paint is basically the same.. so im thinking you would be looking at a normal respray price, but if you were going with a matte black you wouldnt want it done cheaply! at least 5k i would think at a min.. but it would be a nightmare to maintain i would think...

The maintenance of a matte paint is very high, a wrap is slightly cheaper but may last longer, you need to clean it straight away if a bird shit on it or a bug hits it or tree SAP gets on it as the acids will stain it.

You cannot use wash and wax car wash on it either.

I had the rear wing done in matte black, that lasted 2 weeks before I got the shits with it and gave it a good polish and wax, its now sort of flat black.

It does look smick for a while though, I estimate 2 weeks if the car gets driven regularly.

The wrap above has been on my daily driven car for 2 years...

Is washed with Meguiars gold class car wash and was left outside un-garaged for a year through a brisbane summer and winter (not something i would suggest but is testament to the strength of the product)

You can use wash and wax on a wrap, but if its a matte colored wrap then naturally you wouldn't use a wash and wax or something that contains anything aimed at keeping your paint shiney, that would defeat the purpose. If your wrap went glossy or even satin from a matte finish then it sounds like you've used something you shouldn't have.

Yes you do need to clean it as quickly as possible as the vinyl 'can' stain, doesn't necessarily mean it will, but would you leave bird shit and tree sap on your paint? I don't think any regular enthusiast with decent paint would.

And in the end, if you stain/scratch/damage a panel, simply rip it off and have it re-wrapped in the same material....simple :)

The maintenance of a matte paint is very high, a wrap is slightly cheaper but may last longer, you need to clean it straight away if a bird shit on it or a bug hits it or tree SAP gets on it as the acids will stain it.

I had the rear wing done in matte black, that lasted 2 weeks before I got the shits with it and gave it a good polish and wax, its now sort of flat black.

It does look smick for a while though, I estimate 2 weeks if the car gets driven regularly.

This. There's a matte black c63 5 minds away from my house. Its been parked in the street for the past couple of weeks, looks like really cheap chalkboard now

I talked to some painters recently regarding satin black and they said the cost of the paint is basically the same.. so im thinking you would be looking at a normal respray price, but if you were going with a matte black you wouldnt want it done cheaply! at least 5k i would think at a min.. but it would be a nightmare to maintain i would think...

Might be able to get it done for 5k if it's just panels. Doing a proper job, including removing all glass and trim and spraying inside, there's no way you'll get it done for below 6k. And let's be honest, getting a matte black paint job done without getting the insides/engine bay done would look pretty terrible.

Might be able to get it done for 5k if it's just panels. Doing a proper job, including removing all glass and trim and spraying inside, there's no way you'll get it done for below 6k. And let's be honest, getting a matte black paint job done without getting the insides/engine bay done would look pretty terrible.

yea thats what i meat, min 5k at an absolute... if i were serious about doing it, i would probably budget around the 10k mark, as if your going to do it, it would be worth doing it right...... the first time

Can I assume that if polish, even mild, were used on the wrap or paint it could smooth out the texture and thus, leave a patchy look?

Exactly. Matte paint works by intentionally having imperfections in the paint that refract the light, reducing shine. Polishing the paint would fill in those imperfections and leave you with, as you said, a patchy paint job.

O

The wrap above has been on my daily driven car for 2 years...

Is washed with Meguiars gold class car wash and was left outside un-garaged for a year through a brisbane summer and winter (not something i would suggest but is testament to the strength of the product)

You can use wash and wax on a wrap, but if its a matte colored wrap then naturally you wouldn't use a wash and wax or something that contains anything aimed at keeping your paint shiney, that would defeat the purpose. If your wrap went glossy or even satin from a matte finish then it sounds like you've used something you shouldn't have.

Yes you do need to clean it as quickly as possible as the vinyl 'can' stain, doesn't necessarily mean it will, but would you leave bird shit and tree sap on your paint? I don't think any regular enthusiast with decent paint would.

And in the end, if you stain/scratch/damage a panel, simply rip it off and have it re-wrapped in the same material....simple :)

I was talking about matte paint not wrap, I say this in the first line of my post.

How much does a full wrap cost anyway, the best product I've seen has a life span of 5 yrs, OK if the car live in these garage and only come out on the weekend but from what I've seen they are lucky to get a couple of yrs out of it before it starts to look "tacky".

And beware the bird poo, a couple of hours is all that's needed to let the acids in it to start etching the paint/wrap.

I basically want something that looks like this kind of black:

http://www.bodykits.com/Extreme-Dimensions/Body-Kits/Nissan-Skyline-Extreme-Dimensions-Duraflex-Fiberglass-GTR500-Conversion-Body-Kit-_-8-Piece-_-104157/614820/

The wrap black matte looks way too flat to me, or am I actually thinking of flat black?

I always thought it was glossy or matte, never this third 'flat'. To be honest the hood on that looks matte but the rest doesn't, even so I don't want something super reflective like most cars I see. Just not my personal taste. A little reflection is good, but only if it's a little, like in that picture.