SAU Community

Oil Filter Sandwich Plate With Thermostat - Good Or Bad?

rb2534

I'm fitting a cooler kit I bought and due to stuff all room in the bay on a 34 to fit the filter relocator and lines I'm possibly looking at running a sandwich plate but eliminating the filter relocator. The reason I want to use this kit thought is that it has an inbuilt thermostat and want to keep it that way.

The only way around this I have found is a sandwich plates with a built in thermostats and leaving the filter in the standard place.

Has anyone has any problems or success with these set ups?

I use a greddy one exactly like that for 2 years with 0 problems.

Oil gets hotter during hard driving as opposed to no thermostat but unless it sees dedicated track time this is the way to go

Yeah it will only be a tracker everynow and then and as I said the 34 is a pain to mount as the relocation block is pretty chunky. But I do want to run a thermostat this is why I snapped this kit up. I found these ones below most likely go this way. Provided it has a plug to fit my temp sensor it should be all good

http://www.garage7.c...emart&Itemid=53

cheers for the input

Edited by rb2534

Yes but not that one.

When you spin that adaptor on you dont know which way the lines will end up facing.

I went with a remote thermostat, (Earls) which is a pain cos its gotta go somewhere (no space). Having the thermostat in the plate would save space.

But if you hook it up wrong, no oil to motor.

However the one bit i got right is the sandwich plate, it needed one 90 deg fitting and one straight to get past things.

Pic one: i found this style of sandwich plate easy to fit lines to.

Pic two: my mess, should re-do it better.

Pic three: Aircon sux goodbye.

post-89755-0-56801900-1346103758_thumb.jpg

post-89755-0-09104800-1346103910_thumb.jpg

post-89755-0-26123600-1346104108_thumb.jpg

Yes but not that one.

When you spin that adaptor on you dont know which way the lines will end up facing.

Lol, wat?

The Greddy unit linked can spin around to any angle, and allows the lines to go into any of the four holes. It's a high quality thermostat too.

It uses 1/8th bspt fittings for the sensors which is standard.

lol yeah i was gonna say.. it has a big nut in the middle of it, put the sandwich plate on where you want it then tighten the nut :/ same principle as every other sandwich plate on the market!

I didnt get a thermostat for my setup (Mocal) as i'd heard they can give problems (and i was tight and it cost alot more: P)

Always wanted to swap mine out for the Greddy one though for the gauge fittings. But as it stands, even in cold ol' NZ i havnt had any issues with overcooling without the thermo. I guess it depends on how big your core is. Plus the stock oil warmer/cooler is still there so i guess that helps keep the temps fairly regulated.

Do it! And post pics of your setup when its finished :)

Lol, wat?

The Greddy unit linked can spin around to any angle, and allows the lines to go into any of the four holes. It's a high quality thermostat too.

It uses 1/8th bspt fittings for the sensors which is standard.

+1

The Greddy one is meant to be good. Im thinking about replacing my earks thermostat with one of these to save space.

Well thats gunna be easy as then.

Get what you pay for hey.

With #1, beware of autobahn88 gear, it's japanese copies and can be hit and miss quality-wise.

The in and out was mixed up on my "el cheapo" lucky i double checked the way it needed to go, or goodbye engine!

The Earls is nice but bulky and takes room to fit all the hoses to it.

Ps: 1/8 npt

I know where you're coming from! I have a relocation kit, an Earls thermostat and decent oil cooler and still haven't figured out where to put everything - esp with a FF Plenum.

I thought that was wrong there's no way your engine will starve from oil. And there's no way I'm eliminating air con to fit this, I didnt have much room between the cooler and air con condenser so I snuck it in behind the air duct for the driver side steer wheel below the indicator. 2 mounts directly to the front reo bar direct and made a bracket just to take some of the weight.

Almost the whole core has air flow I just need to get new lines made as these won't reach as it has 4 shortish lines for the remote set up.

I'll just sell the kit minus cooler as the trust cooler is pretty decent so I'll keep that.

Garage 7 in Adelaide sell them do I'll snap one up there, they are just shy of $200 but I figure the frustration of trying to find a place to mount the remote set up is worth it

Edited by rb2534

Its easier to spend the money, and if you spend 3 days f-ing it up like me, its cheaper going to work and spenidng the $$$.

Getting stuff that actually fits is very important.

Otherwise you end up with my mess.

Ps mine was real bad when i bought it, example: no reo bar.

I had to make one to hold up the front bar and intercooler.