SAU Community

Cheaper Turbo Manifolds. I Know Sigh

dyl33

They are cheap, and nasty, but with a bit of die grinding, and re-machining of the flanges perhaps(they are only linished by the looks of it) they can be a good option for guys on a budget.

I had to modify the wastegate path on one I had here, as it was going to hit the dump, but it all bolted up fine. Messy mig weld on the inside of the merge was a bit... :/

Mine was also pretty good quality with the collector being pretty clean inside, only complaint I've got is, the 4 bolt flange one of the holes is off centre so it makes it hard 2 slide a turbo over the studs or a gasket 4 that matter :(

post-83626-0-43966800-1384426622_thumb.jpg

Edited by methz

• 2 years later...

So after four years about 20 track days and 10 thousand st ks my hyprid has crumbly cracked welds in the collector no one wants to fix it so time to buy  six boost

20160824_110444.jpg

On 8/24/2016 at 10:19 AM, Ke55pig said:

So after four years about 20 track days and 10 thousand st ks my hyprid has crumbly cracked welds in the collector no one wants to fix it so time to buy  six boost

that seems like a good value . $600 for 4 years

9 hours ago, omnigear said:

that seems like a good value . $600 for 4 years

Has smashed 2 turbo in this time from welds going through exhaust wheels :-(

16 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

twin scroll manifold.. then one day get a better turbo :)

Theres no real gains or point for  twin scroll if not using a twin scroll turbo ??

5 hours ago, Ke55pig said:

Has smashed 2 turbo in this time from welds going through exhaust wheels :-(

I would have thrown the manifold through his front window if that happened to me

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, zebra said:

I would have thrown the manifold through his front window if that happened to me

or weld it to a gearbox and put on the door step.

Funnily enough, i contacted hybrid at the start of the week about their low mount manifold, as they're fairly cheap.

I asked about warranty for cracks, re surfacing and warping. They dodged the warranty question but mentioned they have never had a single manifold crack. Send them these pictures. I'm sure it won't be the first ones they've seen though :ninja: 

Thanks to dose mang, i am now going to go through havoc performance.

Touch wood - mine has given zero problems over a few years of track only use.  I expect it will stay that way.

Have to check my race diary but about 12 events consisting of practice day then 2 race days for the weekend.  A bit more demanding than a typical half day event offering 4-5 sessions.

However - I did not just unpack and then bolt on.  Spent about 2 hours with die grinder and grit blasted the hand finished result.  Then had it ceramic coated.  It has proven fit for purpose and application at the power level I'm running.

Any of these fabricated manifolds "should" be checked and given some finishing if warranted.  It's a matter of observing due diligence and preparing things for reliability.

I'm certain that there's some far better manifolds out there, simply that the user pays for the prep and finishing.

My ETM 1jz  manifold is perfect.

If I ever build another turbo car I'd never use a cheap manifold. I have in the past and found they are aweful.

Compare the collector / merge of a good manifold to the ones above and you can see what you pay for.

Prep and finish should be done by the manufacturer no matter how cheap the manifold is. 5 minutes with a die grinder might make it look ok. But shit welds will still crack and break off and destroy shit.