SAU Community

Rb 25 Is An Oil Cooler Needed,

waanders

Currently have my head off and am comsidering removing oil cooler and fitting a rb30 threat adaptor to fit filter strait to block and running no cooler at all, its only a street car, am just trieng to do whats needed while am at this stage, also can i plug the hoses that run down to the cooler? Iv also read about people blocking the big coolant line barbs at front and rear of block to, what do you guys reckon?

Cheers, chris

The water to oil heat exchanger can be a reliability issue. If the coolant has not been well looked after in the car over the years, then corrosion will eat the heat exchanger and if it opens up you get oil+water, which is seldom good. On that basis it may be worth considering getting rid of it.

For a street car, you probably do not need an oil cooler at all, even the oil-water one. Older RB engines did not have the oil-water units. They are not actually intended to cool the oil. They are intended to warm it up faster. The faster an engine comes to operating temperature, the faster it can comply with emissions limits. That's pretty much the sole reason they got added. They do help cool the oil a bit, but seeing as they just add that heat to the coolant, it's not exactly gaining you a lot, as the radiator could probably cool the engine the same amount without any heat coming from the oil.

If you do remove it, don't block the water hoses. Join them together.

If you do remove it, don't block the water hoses. Join them together.

Reason being? Just curious as to why you'd need to join them?

I looked into this a while back, an RB20 runs a similar type cooling setup under the plenum but with no oil cooler obviously. Blocking the ports for the oil cooler would in fact mimic an RB20 cooling route setup under the plenum.

Hence why i'm curious as to why you said join them together.

Dead legs with coolant in them are bad. Old nasty coolant sludge trap anyone?

Point taken.

So, join them up or weld them up then. Same obviously goes if your deleting the heater obviously.

While semi on the subject of coolant. Coolant filters, yay or nay?

That's a tough one. They have their place. A well maintained cooling system won't need one. I suspect the only time you want to put a filter in is if you have had an event that has put crap into the cooling system and would like to pull it out. Run it for a while, check it frequently, take it out when it stops pulling stuff out. If you have one in there all the time and don't check it regularly, it may just turn out to be the cause of a failure rather than the prevention.

Find someone with a RB20DET and ask them, I do however my old RB20DET's oil taking ages to warm up when compared to the RB25DET. Would leave my house, drive to the gym and the oil temp would be still lower than the water temp.

Johnny, did you have an oil cooler? If you did, did you have a inline thermostat?

Yeah I used B&M core and the Permacool inline thermostat and Permacool relocator.

Took ages to warm up man, mind you there was like over 3m of hose used as well (I know you hate homo relocators lol)

I have yet to install an oil cooler to my previous R33 and my current one.