SAU Community

Clean Headlights For $7.99

Jack0R33

Alright I know this has been covered, but I have just used a product which I don't think has been covered here yet and I wanted to show what it can do.

First a before picture (I forgot to take one right before the clean!), you can see the cloudiness on the drivers side lens.

post-62143-0-32628000-1352708271_thumb.jpg

Now some after!

post-62143-0-98581500-1352708330_thumb.jpg post-62143-0-98320600-1352708355_thumb.jpg

post-62143-0-79684400-1352708378_thumb.jpg post-62143-0-35108300-1352708402_thumb.jpg

The product is called Brasso and here it is:

post-62143-0-20360700-1352708497_thumb.jpg

First try it in a small area (should be fine because all it did was clean the heck out of mine). Apply with a cloth, I used a microfibre cloth, let it dry to a haze (takes <10 seconds), then wipe it off with a clean cloth!

Let me know how it goes, you can get the product from any supermarket I think, in the cleaning section.

I don't know if all metal polishers work, all I know is this one did. I have not gone around to sealing the lens yet, but when I do I'll give it a clean again.

Didn't wanna put a name down but if it helps i got it from Woolies, im sure Coles, IGA or Franklins would have it too. Its a stainless steel cleaner i think, it would be next to the floor cleaners, oven cleaners or shower cleaners.

Headlights are still clean and its been 2 days. Please use it at your own risk, but there shouldn't be a risk as it has done nothing but clean mine. I will try using it on my exhaust tip soon, as it is a metal cleaner too :P.

Anything with a bit of grit in the substance will work IMO. So sand paper will work with water just like the back of an avocado works as well.

Just to remove that layer of haze on the plastic.

Sealing is a must otherwise yellowing will reoccur, with a vengeance.

You have stripped the light of its oxidisation, so naturally its aesthetics and clarity have improved. However as a result, whatever was remaining of the UV coating has also been removed.

Protectant such as the Meguiars headlight protectant will prevent this for you. I believe its not an 'off the shelf' product in Australia, so personally, I import it from the US.

On some other cars I have also previously clear coated using 3M heat proof clear with great results.

Taken from - http://www.skylinesa...ed/page__st__60

Part 9 - Headlight restoration.

A frequent discussion point on the forum is 'headlight restoration' and the common yellowing which occurs with age / wear and tear.

Having performed the restoration process a number of times now, I was comfortable giving it a go on the GTR and couldnt be happier with the results.

Easier if you remove the lights from the car as you will then have a flat surface to work on - corner to corner.

In short -

1) Wet sand with 2000 grit sand paper until you see the aged yellow dust turn to standard white dust

2) Compound with Meguiars Ultimate compound (DA or rotary polisher / lake country yellow cutting pad)

3) Polish with Meguiars Plastx (DA or rotary polisher / white lake country polishing pad)

4) Seal with Meguiars headlight protectant (DA or rotary polisher / black lake country finishing pad)

If done correctly, as per the photos - you should end up with a 'like new' crystal clear finish with no sanding marks - etc.

3rd and 4th steps are essential to stop the yellow from reoccurring. Whenever I polish - I also run another protective layer of wax / protectant on the headlights as well.

xenon41024x682.jpg

xenon11024x682.jpg

xenon21024x682.jpg

xenon31024x682.jpg

Edited by iwanta34gtr

So I picked some up at lunch time for $7.99 from Coles and it worked perfectly. Just finished both headlights :)

Thanks a million

No worries mate, I'm glad it worked for you. Tired of seeing skylines drivin around with hazy headlights, let's bugger them off!

I still need to seal though :unsure:

Sealing is a must otherwise yellowing will reoccur, with a vengeance.

You have stripped the light of its oxidisation, so naturally its aesthetics and clarity have improved. However as a result, whatever was remaining of the UV coating has also been removed.

Protectant such as the Meguiars headlight protectant will prevent this for you. I believe its not an 'off the shelf' product in Australia, so personally, I import it from the US.

On some other cars I have also previously clear coated using 3M heat proof clear with great results.

Taken from - http://www.skylinesa...ed/page__st__60

Farrrrrrr that looks like diamond. This result is too hard to not try.

• 3 weeks later...

Save your $8 and use toothpaste, seriously.

For something more permanent and "once off", use Glassylite kit as it contains sandpaper/polish/sealant.

Save your $8 and use toothpaste, seriously.

For something more permanent and "once off", use Glassylite kit as it contains sandpaper/polish/sealant.

i wonder how similar the meguiars headlight protectant is compared to the nano sealer in the glassylite kit.

althought I did the glassy lite kit on mine, and its clearly the best product ive personally used.

before - wasnt too bad with the lights off, but when you turned them on, the whole thing was a yuck yellow

img0111bz.jpg

After - Glassylite $35 for the kit

img1759qp.jpg

img1756r.jpg

I didn't take a before/after pic because i was ceebs, BUT i used the brasso thing on my muffler and exhaust tip, and DAMN i didn't realise i could just use my exhaust as a mirror lol.

works awesome as a metal cleaner (not stainless steel though)