SAU Community

Are N/a's Really That Slow? Or Are People Talking Out Their Ass.

There's a difference between putting the car on a dyno for a tune and going to dyno comps.

And there it's 2 reasons why 86s are so popular in Japan. One is that they were made popular by a cartoon about drifting. The other is that they were a cheap rwd car. You will find that these days most people drifting them won't have the stock motor. You will also find that despite being popular, they are actually a pretty poor car to drift.

And i think you will find that it takes as much skill, if not more, to drift a high powered car. For starters you will be entering corners at higher speeds. Secondly, being a bit too happy with the right foot is more likely to make you spin out.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame that's not you driving. And the fact you picked a poor example of n/a drifting.

The reality is, if you go to Japan, n/a drivers are more respected because of the skill that is required to drift. Look at all the 86's that drift.

It takes no skill to 'unleash 350+kw' any f**kin bogan can put his foot down. But to throw an underpowered car into the same lines takes 100% more driver skill.

And if your car doesn't go on dynos you're gunna be spending money on more than just tyres...

Erm, no, no and no.

N/A drifting isn't big and popular, super close, with the most angle (You can't get and hold angle without more power then an NA RB25 can produce), and most smoke IS popular, if it wasn't, then why is that what drifters are scored on?

Secondly, you're showing you've never driven a car that can break in a power slide at 140+KM/H other wise you wouldn't be claiming any muppet can do it, high speed + angle = alot harder to control then sliding in second.

Secondly, I grabbed the only skyline N/A drifting I could find on youtube quickly.

And if my car doesn't go on a dyno it's going to cost me money how now? I'm unsure how not using a device that I have to pay to use (If I wanted to) will cost me money by not using it...

Well it depends on what your after, if youre just drifting for fun, getting that adrenalin rush going side ways then 300hp is more than good enough. If youre into hard core drifting full competing and shit then yea go big power but its gonna cost ya a butt load of money. Going through tyres like theres no tomorrow.

This is a stupid comment, im going to talk on behalf of most N/a skyline owners here. WE"RE ON OUR BLOODY P's! N/a skylines are the closest we can get too without breaking road rules and regulations by purchasing a gtst/gtt or gtr. Sure talking about modding an n/a skyline sounds stupid to you guys (like exhausts and cai's), but what else can we do? we crave performance and want to abide by the laws at the same time, we are just like you. Its not like we cant afford a turbo or anything, i would of been more than happy purchasing a turbo'd skyline but cant. N/a skyline was the best i could get being a Japanese car enthusiast. This is something 95% of the people on this whole website wont understand. Most of the people here have been able to purchase turbo'd cars the day they got their p's. So yea cheers for your insensitive comment.

To this guy, find me an NA RB25 that is producing 300HP... You do know that is around 225KW, IE, the region of 1Bar of boost + tuning on an RB25... IE, turbo power territory... IE, something a nicely powered car will produce... You're just helping us prove our point.

Secondly, your claim is the stupid part. You're all here saying "Our cars are not slow, but we would buy a turbo car because it's fast but we can't legally... But our cars aren't slow... But we only bought these slow cars because we have to"...

Are you lot even freaking listening to yourselves?!

*Face Palm* Some days i dont know why i bother defending the NA guys when all they seem to do is complain about how other people call there car slow.

Why is it even an issue, its not a race car its your daily in most cases, so who cares if its not the fastest thing in the world. But the sadest part is alot of people seem as though there starting to believe there own hype about NA RBs, if you keep claiming there not slow show us some results a drag time slip, a lap time, a dyno graph ANYTHING.

(ive owned one and no one wants to belive there car isnt as great as you think it is, but sometimes you need to take a step back and have a look from an outsiders perspective and maybe you'll realise when push comes to shove im sorry but they just dont make the grade. You can deny that all you want but one day, possibly years from now you'll look back at this and think how wrong/close minded you were about the subject)

Erm, no, no and no.

N/A drifting isn't big and popular, super close, with the most angle (You can't get and hold angle without more power then an NA RB25 can produce), and most smoke IS popular, if it wasn't, then why is that what drifters are scored on?

Secondly, you're showing you've never driven a car that can break in a power slide at 140+KM/H other wise you wouldn't be claiming any muppet can do it, high speed + angle = alot harder to control then sliding in second.

Secondly, I grabbed the only skyline N/A drifting I could find on youtube quickly.

And if my car doesn't go on a dyno it's going to cost me money how now? I'm unsure how not using a device that I have to pay to use (If I wanted to) will cost me money by not using it...

To this guy, find me an NA RB25 that is producing 300HP... You do know that is around 225KW, IE, the region of 1Bar of boost + tuning on an RB25... IE, turbo power territory... IE, something a nicely powered car will produce... You're just helping us prove our point.

Secondly, your claim is the stupid part. You're all here saying "Our cars are not slow, but we would buy a turbo car because it's fast but we can't legally... But our cars aren't slow... But we only bought these slow cars because we have to"...

You clearly haven't been to Japan... Where do you think drifting came from? It all started with n/a cars in the mountains.

I can guarantee you have never drifted an n/a car before an don't realize the fun/enjoyment that comes from having to throw a car around rather then making the car 'break into a powerslide'. And you're a fool of you think you can't get angle in an na. Just type ae86 drift on YouTube and watch the first vid. Feathering power 'which you power boys' claim to be difficult is not hard. I have drifted plenty of turbo cars. It simply makes drifting easier. Na is a challenge and makes for a better driver.

An what I mean by not using a dyno is gunna cost you money

I mean that if it doesn't see a dyno it means it doesn't see a tune which means things are going to break. Although you wouldn't have any of those problems from the start of you had an n/a.

Also I'd love to see a video of YOU drifting. Feel like you're just all talk. Probs never broken into a drift at 140kmh in your life hahaha

*Face Palm* Some days i dont know why i bother defending the NA guys when all they seem to do is complain about how other people call there car slow.

Why is it even an issue, its not a race car its your daily in most cases, so who cares if its not the fastest thing in the world. But the sadest part is alot of people seem as though there starting to believe there own hype about NA RBs, if you keep claiming there not slow show us some results a drag time slip, a lap time, a dyno graph ANYTHING.

(ive owned one and no one wants to belive there car isnt as great as you think it is, but sometimes you need to take a step back and have a look from an outsiders perspective and maybe you'll realise when push comes to shove im sorry but they just dont make the grade. You can deny that all you want but one day, possibly years from now you'll look back at this and think how wrong/close minded you were about the subject)

Hell man, even standard R33 GTSt's and R34 GTT's are fairly slow, chopped a fair few of them at WSID. Its actually not that hard to get a car to that level. Once the turbo car starts upping the boost etc its a different ball game.

Alright mate, i never said n/a skyline has 300hp, i was speaking in general, 300hp is more than enough for drifting. Read carefully before trying to be a smartass. I was referring to the comment you made earlier that cars should have 300rwkw to really enjoy drifiting.

And once again you still dont understand what im saying. Dude seriously im a japanese car enthusiast as is a lot of people on this forum, i dont want to buy some cliche boring holden or ford (no offence to any aussie car owners here). Ive driven a few an i must say the feel of a n/a skyline even though its slower feels way more fun to drive, has a sportier feel to it as oppose to a boaty commie. Second, skyline (for me) is probably 3rd favourite car, evo and 3000gt/gto being top 2. This is the case with all my mates as well, skyline being their preferred car. However due to the p plate laws, n/a skyline is the best we can get to satisfy our desires for atleast for the remainder of our P's, as a fellow car enthusiast you know its our pride and joy. Now do you understand? Seriously dude i have no intention of starting a keyboard war here, but your one of those people who tend to piss me off since youve never experience restrictions like this, you wont understand what it feels like, nor will 90% of people here. I mean seriously dude step in my shoes, you think its fun seeing another guy driving around with a turbo while your stuck with a n/a. And on top of that some dickhead cu** on a forum saying n/a skylines are slower than other n/a's ?

Also when i say n/a skylines arent slow, im saying you guys are exaggerating way out of proportion, cause ive raced a few holdens and fords, and not every one of them win against my n/a, i dont know if they are simply shit drivers or my n/a is 1 in a million but speaking in personal experience they arent that quick but they arent that slow either.

Apologies for the cursing, i tend to get worked up when it comes to talking about these rubbish laws.

Edited by Deza3000

Oh and btw I am not stating in any way that my car is 'fast'. What I'm saying is don't say you can't drift them or they are gutless. Especially when you have never tried!

Finally a person whose understands.

You clearly haven't been to Japan... Where do you think drifting came from? It all started with n/a cars in the mountains.

I can guarantee you have never drifted an n/a car before an don't realize the fun/enjoyment that comes from having to throw a car around rather then making the car 'break into a powerslide'. And you're a fool of you think you can't get angle in an na. Just type ae86 drift on YouTube and watch the first vid. Feathering power 'which you power boys' claim to be difficult is not hard. I have drifted plenty of turbo cars. It simply makes drifting easier. Na is a challenge and makes for a better driver.

I mean that if it doesn't see a dyno it means it doesn't see a tune which means things are going to break. Although you wouldn't have any of those problems from the start of you had an n/a.

Also I'd love to see a video of YOU drifting. Feel like you're just all talk. Probs never broken into a drift at 140kmh in your life hahaha

I used to own a modded 86 when I was on my p's, there basically the most over rated car ever.

Yes it would drift if you gave the clutch a kick about 3 times a second or if you used momentum but you can do that in any car, n/a or turbo. This whole argument that n/a's take more skill is just rediculous. I dont know if you have been to japan but if you actually watch alot of old drift footage from when it wasnt that well know there were more 180's,32's or s13's drifting then ae86's.

Guy's dont drift n/a skylines for a reason, and its not because its 'easier' with more power.

Where's a vid of you drifting so skillfully in your n/a?

Edited by eightsixboy

I used to own a modded 86 when I was on my p's, there basically the most over rated car ever.

Yes it would drift if you gave the clutch a kick about 3 times a second or if you used momentum but you can do that in any car, n/a or turbo. This whole argument that n/a's take more skill is just rediculous. I dont know if you have been to japan but if you actually watch alot of old drift footage from when it wasnt that well know there were more 180's,32's or s13's drifting then ae86's.

Guy's dont drift n/a skylines for a reason, and its not because its 'easier' with more power.

Where's a vid of you drifting so skillfully in your n/a?

Scroll back 2 or 3 pages and watch my video I posted of me at QR?

And I have been to Japan 3 times and going back in march. I never said sils and skylines weren't preset in early drifting. But by you saying that you had trouble driving your 86 just goes to show that your level of driving skill isn't very high, therefore you go to a turbo car and say they are 'better' when you really mean its 'easier'

Alright mate, i never said n/a skyline has 300hp, i was speaking in general, 300hp is more than enough for drifting. Read carefully before trying to be a smartass. I was referring to the comment you made earlier that cars should have 300rwkw to really enjoy drifiting.

And once again you still dont understand what im saying. Dude seriously im a japanese car enthusiast as is a lot of people on this forum, i dont want to buy some cliche boring holden or ford (no offence to any aussie car owners here). Ive driven a few an i must say the feel of a n/a skyline even though its slower feels way more fun to drive, has a sportier feel to it as oppose to a boaty commie. Second, skyline (for me) is probably 3rd favourite car, evo and 3000gt/gto being top 2. This is the case with all my mates as well, skyline being their preferred car. However due to the p plate laws, n/a skyline is the best we can get to satisfy our desires for atleast for the remainder of our P's, as a fellow car enthusiast you know its our pride and joy. Now do you understand? Seriously dude i have no intention of starting a keyboard war here, but your one of those people who tend to piss me off since youve never experience restrictions like this, you wont understand what it feels like, nor will 90% of people here. I mean seriously dude step in my shoes, you think its fun seeing another guy driving around with a turbo while your stuck with a n/a. And on top of that some dickhead cu** on a forum saying n/a skylines are slower than other n/a's ?

Also when i say n/a skylines arent slow, im saying you guys are exaggerating way out of proportion, cause ive raced a few holdens and fords, and not every one of them win against my n/a, i dont know if they are simply shit drivers or my n/a is 1 in a million but speaking in personal experience they arent that quick but they arent that slow either.

Apologies for the cursing, i tend to get worked up when it comes to talking about these rubbish laws.

Dear Sir/Madam,

You claim to be mightier because other people have never had these restrictions, but in NSW these restrictions have actually been town for quite a long time. IE 7 Years. I'm not that old.

As for the NAs not being slow, actually, down the 1/4 mile they ARE slow in comparison to a late model 3.8L commodore, just because your shorter ratio gearbox gets the better of them from 0-100, when you run for a full 1/4 mile, you'd be surprised at which point the Commodore will rake you in.

The fact of the matter is, N/A skylines are NOT fast, where is my evidence you ask? Well right below, from one of your fellow N/A friends who is arguing your same battle...

Oh and btw I am not stating in any way that my car is 'fast'. What I'm saying is don't say you can't drift them or they are gutless. Especially when you have never tried!

To Mr Fryters, we never said you can't drift them, we said they're slow, I used to be able to hold a slide in my 1988 Model Nissan Navara, and hell, that thing made a whopping 80KW when it was brand new, once the odometer had been around the clock a few times it wasn't that powerful any more, yet it'd still hold the tail out. Funny fact, I also used to use lift off oversteer in a Jazz to slide it around corners faster, and shit, it's not even RWD yet alone fast!

Please see above, you're not the only person who's driven N/A cars before.

Before I bought my R33 I had a VR 3.8L commo, while I had my R33 off the road for an RB30DET build, I had a VN Commo, Before I had the VR I had an NA 2.4L Navara, after the RB30DET build I had a Jazz as my primary car for quite a while. I can vouch for what is, and what isn't fast, hell, I've seen a turbo diesel Ford Territory out at a texi drifting, and that isn't fast!

As for me not using a dyno costing me money, you're obviously showing your inexperience here, dyno tuning will get you in the ball park, then for proper track tuning, you tune them on the track. I used to own my own Wideband gear and have all the gear for tuning timing as a part of my ECUs. I got rid of my wideband gear because I want a different wideband for doing my own tuning. Never had an issue from a tune point of view with engines. I have had issues of spinning bearings from engines leaving no oil in the sump, but most guys who track their RBs hard on standard sumps also have these issues. (Unless you live in Victoria)

Also, N/A is not a challenge, you throw the car in as hard as you can, pin the throttle as hard as you can, and as long as you haven't entered too aggressively the car will straighten itself up not too much further out of the corner. Need to change direction? Quick flick of the throttle and an NA changes direction VERY quickly.

You will also notice alot of N/A drifters use the handbrake to initiate a drift, whereas the guys with power will use a weight transfer and then over power the rear tyres and then have to modulate how much angle they have with steering + throttle. Yes you can drift them, Shit, if you remember back when Oran Park used to have truck racing, (Are you old enough to remember back then?) you will remember watching them be able to drift the trucks as well. I can also remember watching an old EH Inline 6 drift lap after lap last turn at Oran Park, and a Mitsubishi Mirage could out accelerate it (IE, IT WASN'T FAST YET IT STILL DRIFTED!!!)

Drifting may be possible, this thread wasn't about that. You kids need to wake up to yourselves (Although, you seem to have already as half of you have admitted they're not fast cars but are still arguing for some point) and realise that the N/A Skylines are NOT a fast car.

Performance of a modern 4cyl Toyota Camry.

So it is comparable to majority of "mainstream" cars out there.

My pick would be the R34 because the NEO VVT actually helps with the lowdown torque.

Advantage is that a Skyline has many tasteful aftermarket mods, such as suspension, brakes, styling mods etc.

An n/a skyline can perform great in the twisties, aslong as you have the right mods and the right driving experience (actually know how to drive it fast around corners).

- Buy the lightest rims and the stickiest tires you can afford. Go the R34 GTR rims with some nice rubber.

- Upgrade brakes to GTt or GTR items, or other aftermarket items.

- Upgrade the suspension

- LSD

- Trans cooler, if you have an auto

- High flow panel filter

- High flow cat

- Don't put in a massive stereo system. A nice double DIN headunit and quality speakers, is all you will need.

^ I don't know why people are still arguing. LOL.

- n/a skylines are "slow" in a straight line in comparison to higher performance cars - they are average ie. on par with a modern 4cyl camry/mazda 6 - modern aussie 6 cylinder cars ie. Aurion/falcon/commodore will eat you alive.

- you have to remember an RB25DE is still a 2.5L naturally aspirated engine....

- what's with P platers wanting to go faster on public roads anyways? Urban areas are typically 40~80km/h zones and the fastest you are legally allowed to travel on majoriy of freeways/highways throughout Australia is 100~110km/h.

- In the state of Victoria, it doesn't matter if you gun a crappy 1.3 Yaris or an R35 GTR at the traffic lights - You will still get caught for hooning by the police.

- More power low down IS always better, ie. turbo/supercharged or a bigger capacity engine. But if you can keep up with normal traffic flow, that is good enough.

- If you really want to drive your car hard regardless of what it is, save it for the track. Screw risking your own life, especially other people's lives on the public roads.

- I'd rather a car that can handle and brake well when the roads get twisty - along with great driver skills - while keeping it legal. Lots of drivers with awesome cars ie. M3, RS4 etc. are sh*t drivers (too much money, not enough skills) - on the straights they will pretty much demolish anything, but once it gets twisty they struggle to keep up/pull away, even at street legal speeds.

The point I'm trying to make is - laws now are so strict it almost doesn't matter what you drive, a 1000hp car will not get you to your destination any faster than a cheap econobox. We are still governed by speed limits and traffic lights. :P

BTW - I've been off my Ps for many years, I still own the same n/a R34 - nothing stopping me from getting an awesome GTt or something with heaps more grunt - then I realised - I'm only driving within legal limits and I've lost the itch to do traffic light GPs. The only thing i crave for now is to go legally quick around the twisty roads.

A powerful car is awesome (i've driven many in my time) - just love the effortless pulling power - but one you hit that speed limit - fun ends.

Trust me when I say this, a slooooooooooow car is an IS200 (my daily) - but that's a different story. lol.

Dear Sir/Madam,

You claim to be mightier because other people have never had these restrictions, but in NSW these restrictions have actually been town for quite a long time. IE 7 Years. I'm not that old.

As for the NAs not being slow, actually, down the 1/4 mile they ARE slow in comparison to a late model 3.8L commodore, just because your shorter ratio gearbox gets the better of them from 0-100, when you run for a full 1/4 mile, you'd be surprised at which point the Commodore will rake you in.

The fact of the matter is, N/A skylines are NOT fast, where is my evidence you ask? Well right below, from one of your fellow N/A friends who is arguing your same battle...

Ive already admitted and stated that a few comments before that a late model commie or falcon beats my skyline. Also stated before Vn commodore beats my skyline as well. 1/4mile becomes an all KW race so obviously a commie or falcon will win. BA and VZ onwards, my car does get "raked". But if you actually read my other posts i made a comment saying the N/A skyline is pretty quick in its time. in 1996 - 1999, it did pretty well. So for a car of its age its not that bad, go back a few pages you'll see my comment there. However 0-100 times is all we need on public roads, as stated above, its not like we're going to be going past 80 anyway so its perfect for a p plater anyway. Highlu unlikely youre going to be taking an n/a at the track.

Also I wasnt claiming to be mightier, i just wanted to make people understand why we drive N/a's. I really hate these restrictions with a passion.

Edit: btw im a guy =='

Edited by Deza3000

Dear Sir/Madam,

To Mr Fryters, we never said you can't drift them, we said they're slow, I used to be able to hold a slide in my 1988 Model Nissan Navara, and hell, that thing made a whopping 80KW when it was brand new, once the odometer had been around the clock a few times it wasn't that powerful any more, yet it'd still hold the tail out. Funny fact, I also used to use lift off oversteer in a Jazz to slide it around corners faster, and shit, it's not even RWD yet alone fast!

Please see above, you're not the only person who's driven N/A cars before.

Before I bought my R33 I had a VR 3.8L commo, while I had my R33 off the road for an RB30DET build, I had a VN Commo, Before I had the VR I had an NA 2.4L Navara, after the RB30DET build I had a Jazz as my primary car for quite a while. I can vouch for what is, and what isn't fast, hell, I've seen a turbo diesel Ford Territory out at a texi drifting, and that isn't fast!

As for me not using a dyno costing me money, you're obviously showing your inexperience here, dyno tuning will get you in the ball park, then for proper track tuning, you tune them on the track. I used to own my own Wideband gear and have all the gear for tuning timing as a part of my ECUs. I got rid of my wideband gear because I want a different wideband for doing my own tuning. Never had an issue from a tune point of view with engines. I have had issues of spinning bearings from engines leaving no oil in the sump, but most guys who track their RBs hard on standard sumps also have these issues. (Unless you live in Victoria)

Also, N/A is not a challenge, you throw the car in as hard as you can, pin the throttle as hard as you can, and as long as you haven't entered too aggressively the car will straighten itself up not too much further out of the corner. Need to change direction? Quick flick of the throttle and an NA changes direction VERY quickly.

You will also notice alot of N/A drifters use the handbrake to initiate a drift, whereas the guys with power will use a weight transfer and then over power the rear tyres and then have to modulate how much angle they have with steering + throttle. Yes you can drift them, Shit, if you remember back when Oran Park used to have truck racing, (Are you old enough to remember back then?) you will remember watching them be able to drift the trucks as well. I can also remember watching an old EH Inline 6 drift lap after lap last turn at Oran Park, and a Mitsubishi Mirage could out accelerate it (IE, IT WASN'T FAST YET IT STILL DRIFTED!!!)

Drifting may be possible, this thread wasn't about that. You kids need to wake up to yourselves (Although, you seem to have already as half of you have admitted they're not fast cars but are still arguing for some point) and realise that the N/A Skylines are NOT a fast car.

Have you ever watched d1? Tell me they don't use their handbrake? and watch my video, I do weight transfers (scandos) on entries as well and I have 99kw?

Just because you have 10,000+ posts on a forum doesn't mean you know more then everyone man.

I'm still waiting to see your video of you drifting. I don't know you, but you come across as a guy who thinks he knows a whole lot and is some kind of a guru because of his post count. I don't see how you can give advice on drifting when I would put money on that me at the age of 19 can probs link a track better then you can in my standard 32.

Have you ever watched d1? Tell me they don't use their handbrake? and watch my video, I do weight transfers (scandos) on entries as well and I have 99kw?

Just because you have 10,000+ posts on a forum doesn't mean you know more then everyone man.

I'm still waiting to see your video of you drifting. I don't know you, but you come across as a guy who thinks he knows a whole lot and is some kind of a guru because of his post count. I don't see how you can give advice on drifting when I would put money on that me at the age of 19 can probs link a track better then you can in my standard 32.

Dopey, I don't drift, figure it out and you'll do better.

Circuit and hill climb here.

And we're not talking pro stuff, how many N/As are the D1 guys drifting?

You do also know youre the one arguing about drifting in a thread about how fast a car is right? No one asked "Can an NA drift" We all know they can drift, you can drift a KE70 if you want to. Does that make it fast? f**k NO!

the last few pages of this thread bring the lulz. people compraing drifting a NA skyline to D1 in japan (where they all drift with cars making about 3 to 4 times what a NA skyline does). people using the ae86 as the posterboy for NA drifting, despite the fact that the majority of them have had engine swaps done. also despite the fact that most of the ae86 do very poorly at drifting because they handle like crap, but are common because they are/were a cheap rwd car made popular by a CARTOON!!!

the last few pages of this thread bring the lulz. people compraing drifting a NA skyline to D1 in japan (where they all drift with cars making about 3 to 4 times what a NA skyline does). people using the ae86 as the posterboy for NA drifting, despite the fact that the majority of them have had engine swaps done. also despite the fact that most of the ae86 do very poorly at drifting because they handle like crap, but are common because they are/were a cheap rwd car made popular by a CARTOON!!!

*High Five* Marc gets it!