SAU Community

Questions On Overtraining, Plateau, Full Body Vs Split?

No Crust Racing

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MATE where is this?? hehe.

You are a beginner if you cant bench 100kg, squat 140kg and deadlift

180kg. I dont care what your bodyweight is, get bigger, its why your

lifting. Bodyweight is not an excuse.

I posted this up on another forum a year ago. The pissweak pencil neck

poindexters all pointed out that it was biased against skinny guys.

Crap. If your skinny, eat something. At the time Max weighed 60kg and

wasnt remotely close to any of those lifts.

One year later he only has the bench to go, he is only a handful of kg's

away. That sounds about right. If you train correctly, you should be

able to achieve these goals in a year, regardless of bodyweight. Not

many on here lighter than Max was, so no complaints.

The record for achieving all these lifts at PTC from complete beginner

was Vocy, he did it in under 3 months from never touching a weight, he

weighed 100kg. Benny did it in roughly the same, around 10 weeks.

Now, if your a beginner, here is what you need to do, for between 3-12 months.

Squat 3 x 10

Bench press 3 x 8

Bent row 3 x 8

Military press 3 x 8

SLDL 3 x 8

BB curl 3 x 8

Do this 3 times a week. Progressively add weight.

If youve been training for longer than 12 months and cant make ALL those

lifts, you've been kidding yourselves, wasting your time on rubbish.

If somebody gave you a pile of ****, and said it was free, would you

keep it, simply cause its free? Of course not, you have no use for it.

Just because something is free doesnt mean its useful.

Does anyone have an example of what they'd call good form for squats. SLDL and rows?

These 3 are the ones that cause the most back grief if done wrong and if I'm going to try stepping those up I want to be sure I'm doing them right.

To confirm, when he talks about achieving those numbers, does he mean in the sets on 1 rep?

Does anyone have an example of what they'd call good form for squats. SLDL and rows?

These 3 are the ones that cause the most back grief if done wrong and if I'm going to try stepping those up I want to be sure I'm doing them right.

To confirm, when he talks about achieving those numbers, does he mean in the sets on 1 rep?

There are plenty of vids online.

If you are getting back issues, then sort those out.

you might have flexibility or mobility issues.

"back grief" doesn't really say much.

when I do deads my lower back is sore to touch for 2 days - you could consider that grief.

do you have an injury?

does it hurt when you perform the lift or straight after or days later?

type of pain?

A better place to start would be to go do a set of 5 reps of squats with some weight on the bar and post it and ask for advice.

or better yet, 2 vids.

1 from the side, one from front.

If you don't want to post it, then head over to startingstrength.com

there is a forum there which is FULL of videos from newbies to lifting asking for advice.

compare yours to theirs.

OOOOOOOORRRRRRRRR...

you're in Vic.

make a trip to PTC Frankston, pay a few dollars and get advice and coaching directly from the bald tattooed horses mouth. :D

sure it's 4 hours drive but that's not my problem...

Edited by TTT

Specifically, I had a lower right back "twinge" when I was squatting and SLDL last time. I had a mate (training for comp bodybuilding) look over my form and he said he thought it was fine and that being comfortable was a good indicator.

I'll watch a few more vids and save myself the 8hr round trip.

Are those numbers 1 rep numbers or during sets, in terms of if you can't do this you are a beginner.

lol shit man what do you want?

Numbers on the magical del scale of pain?

Twinge, discomfort, pain, desire to not continue doing whatever is causing that discomfort.

As opposed to seriously painful, debilitating, can't get out of bed or operate normally without issues.

​Twinge = minor inconvenience in my book. .

When it's a twinge nah not going to a chrio/physio for that, I simply stopped doing what was aggravating it and stretched more, same shit they'd tell me for $80.

If it hurts, stop doing it, stretch or strengthen the area then carry on.

Been enough times with other injuries to know the drill.

That said, what I asked for was tips on form, not advice on how to manage an injury or the definition of twinge or grief lol

I'll watch some more videos and go from there. My back will tell if I'm on the right track.

Edited by ActionDan

When it's a twinge nah not going to a chrio/physio for that, I simply stopped doing what was aggravating it and stretched more, same shit they'd tell me for $80.

If it hurts, stop doing it, stretch or strengthen the area then carry on.

Been enough times with other injuries to know the drill.

That said, what I asked for was tips on form, not advice on how to manage an injury or the definition of twinge or grief lol

I'll watch some more videos and go from there. My back will tell if I'm on the right track.

I did my PB with a twinge in my back.

A physio would most likely rub and release the issue and give you stretches to aid in avoiding future aggravation.

You'll strengthen the area by lifting more.

we gave you suggestions on technique.

You may have perfect form, that twinge could be totally unrelated to the exercise you're performing

Nice work.

Yeah been to physios plenty for other things, you're lucky if you get one that actively rubs/works the area these days. I've been stretching heaps because of my leg anyway, flexibility has always been an issue for me but it's getting better, I can almost palm the ground after a few walm up stretches now which is good for me.

So the answer is unsurprisingly, SQUAT lol

Suggestions noted, videos queued.

just keep in mind that having hamstrings that allow you to touch the ground doesn't mean that your lower back muscles are also ready. Or your hip flexors, or achilles, or quads, or groin, or knee joint, or shoulders...

All of which play big parts in squatting.

Yes. Squat is always the solution.

To everything related to the gym. and health in general.

quite possibly the answer to the "my r33 gtst has a huge miss at 4500rpm" issue.

I squat, and my RB25 doesn't have this issue.

what more evidence would you need?

Squats cure Cancer and misfires and whimps

LOL

I'll keep that mind for any of lifes problems :D

​Didn't mean to say it was reason to believe I was ready for anything, beyond touching the ground, simpply that my flexibility is not great but that I've improved on aspect of it. /'

Mu CA doesn't make enough torque, squats will fix it?