SAU Community

Questions On Overtraining, Plateau, Full Body Vs Split?

No Crust Racing

So in conclusion, your new routine should be as follows.

Monday

Back Squat

Front Squat

Wednesday

Bench press

Back Squat

Friday

Deadlift

Back Squat

Rest period = 3 min +

Food = Animal and stuff that Animals eat

Drink = Water and Milk

No further questions.

This press conference is over!!!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah,

I'll just go with the earlier full body one 3 times a week, see where that gets me. It usually takes me a few weeks to adapt to a new routine so I won't know for a little while as I'm taking the rest of this week off to rest up sore joints etc.

I'll pop my head back in if I have something interesting to add or more questions.

I appreciate the guidance, even it was shitfully delivered :D

Edited by ActionDan

Bench and OH press.

Gotta get out of the mentality of training "parts"

you're not training tris or quads.

You're training "lifts"

You train to get better and stronger at lifting.

side effect is you get bigger and more awesome while training these lifts.

There is definitely a correlation between awesome and kg lifted.

Agree re: specific muscle mentality...consider the hundreds of muscles in the human body and focusing on a particular group is not the way to build a strong or well proportioned body (at least until you have good foundations). This is where compound lifts are good because they involve may muscles and joints working in unison, so you don't end up with undeveloped muscles in certain parts of your body.

I wonder sometimes, how strong do you really need to be? Realistically, my main reason for exercising is because it makes me feel good, it's good for me, and it makes me look a bit better. All fairly narcissistic really.

I'm more or less strong enough for my daily life, work on car, do maintenance around the house, lift servers and ups as required.

There's always someone stronger in terms of kg's lifted/pressed etc so I'm not really fussed on that side of things.

So maybe my focus should be dietary instead if all I want is to look good and be in good health (as in not be so worried about the weights, do them yes, but not expect that is the answer entirely).

Just some random thoughts.

Edited by ActionDan

I know what you mean...I was always in it for looks and am very happy with what I have, so increasing strength beyond what got me there was never a major concern for me.

But you can get stronger without getting bigger (to a degree), so why not?

Nah.

It's in my best interest not to be too competitive with my self/others as it has only ever lead me to injury in the past, whether that's just poor form, trying too hard, whatever.

I may share some numbers or something down the track if I'm having some OK success, or seek pointers if I'm not, but I reckon there's enough shirtless men online for you guys to look at :)

I'm not a standard graphics card couple produce my whiteness anyway.

Hmm, I already do bench and an overhead press and did tri isolation work and still don't have decent size tri's or bi's actually.

I remember from earlier though, the answer is squats.

What's a decent size?

based on your stats' 6ft, currently 86kg cheap digital scales say 14% BF.

That's 14% bf. so not 'fat-ceps' . You lose fat on the arms before the gut typically, so at 12- 14% I'd expect you to have a fair bit of definition, you would have a clearly definate horseshoe tricep (even if small). Then 15+ inch arms will look big to the punters.

Having big defined arms is different to having big fatceps. Plenty of fat dudes sporting 21+ inch arms.

You can build big arms through compound movements and avoid issues that arise from grip strength and fore-arm imbalances.

I am guessing I am more than 14% BF , can see most of my abbs (not the lower thanks to pudding doh!) and my

intercostals. Arms stretched out you can see the sepparation in the two

muscles in the biceps, horseshoe etc. My Arms are 18 inches give or take (. Not built by bro curls or isolation stuff.

If you like the isolation movements then you can keep them but, drop the weight and instead focus on squeezing the life out of the contraction on the movements at the top. Focus on crushing the bar handle as you do the rep. If possible use thick bars if available or wrap the bar with a cloth to increase the bar thickness. This wll develop your forearm and grip strength, which will help avoid the tendonitis the bro-curling kickbackers get all the time.

Edited by rev210

My scales must be wrong then, I wouldn't say I have good definition at all.

Yes if I hold my arm straight out in front and rotate my palm outwards you can feel the tricep and it's hard/visible but it's not big. My abs are visible, when flexed, but I do have a bit more pudding since busting my leg up, that should come away slowly over the next few months as I get back into cardio.

Fat-ceps made me laugh lol

15" was flexed, straight after workout, normally they'd be smaller. My missus always tells me I'm stupid when I say I have small arms but it's hard when 1 of my mates is training for body building comp and is like 8% bf and bigger than me, plus another mate has like 16" arms relaxed, and both are a few inches shorter which makes it look bigger again. I also have a light bone structure, slender wrists/forearms etc so doesn't help the aesthetics.

Anyway, I did a welcome back session last night, which is basically only 2 sets of everything when I've been off for a week or so just to get the feel back. Just did as listed and even made the mental point of putting squats first in the order and curls last to emphasise the point to myself.

I can say this, 2min breaks are off the chain, with bench I felt like I was doing the first set again energy wise so I will definitely be able to add weight to some things next week after I have my first week back on and limber up so to speak.

Feel fine today but my ankle was protesting very noticeably when doing a very light 2 sets of 10 squats at only 25kg. I was only going parralell too, so not deep. That motion will take a long time to train back up given that walking is still uncomfortable and I'm flat out jogging 50 meters before it twinges like a mofo. To be fair, it was dislocated 90 degrees clockwise, far enough that the fracture in my fib was a a spiral fracture, not a direct impact fracture.

Edited by ActionDan