SAU Community

Nismo Omori Factory - Any Tips?

JimmyRickard

Hey guys, I'm heading to Tokyo in 3 weeks and would like to check out the new Nismo Omori factory. This will be my second visit, however the last time I was there was not a success. I was over there about three years ago and went to check it out. I walked in the little shop area, had a quick look around and then asked if I could have a look at in the workshop area and was denied, so I bought a keyring and left.

I've heard a few of you guys have had much more interesting visits to the factory then I have so I was wondering if you had any tips for me.

Also, are there any other cool car-related workshops or stores worth checking out? I'll be visiting Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima.

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm read my thread http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/420485-jdm-tuning-scene-in-japan-today/

Also, Up Garage is FULL of junk. Any of the workshops will tell you that too. ocassionally you can find a bargain there - it seems that the place is run by a bunch of people who dont know much about what they're stripping, so sometimes parts are way underpriced. Having said that, the range of parts suitable for GTRs is next to nothing and whatever they had when i was there was utter crap. A waste of 10 minutes...

• 2 weeks later...

I was there yesterday and thought it was pretty warm - especially compared to a month ago. If you want a really warm jacket that is also cheap go to a UniQlo (heaps of them around) and buy a down one for about 3000 yen. I have had mine for 3 years. Ridden my pushy through heavy snowfalls and been snowboarding while wearing that jacket. It is awesome.

Fact is everyone goes to Japan thinking that workshops etc will have loads of things for sale and fact is that's a myth.

Japanese auto shops hardly keep much paraphernalia in stock and generally only bring it out for the big auto shows.

My advice is sit down and make a list of auto shops you would like to visit and grab a rental car and spend a couple of days checking them out.

Don't go in asking to look around the workshop, just be friendly and you may get lucky.

Mike's advice on Up Garage is way off track. Sorry but if they didn't know what they are doing then how do they have a successfull chain of stores around the country and are probably the largest seller of used parts to the general public.

Up Garage is where lots of Japanese go for used parts. I think Mike was unlucky and just hit the wrong shop. You need to head to their bigger stores and be carefull which one as some are totally motorbike specific. It pays to go online to their web page andsearch for parts your looking for and go to those particular shops that are holding stock.

In Tokyo , Yokohama area's you could try Mines and Midori shops as both are super friendly and Uchinaga-san at Midori, if not busy will more than likey show you around or at least let you poke your nose around.

Mines welcome foreigners but don't expect much in the way of purchasable stock at either shops.

Hit Nismo for whatever Nismo gear your lucky to find on the way.

Head out to Narita area and visit RE Amemiya. You find GTR gear there but they have some flaming cool cars.

Whip down to Chiba from there and hit "Crystal" which has mainly new parts at slightly discounted prices and sale priced items and a few used parts as well.

From there you could visit Top Secret as its just down the road but don't expect to see Smokey and don't expect much in the way of parts and goods. You'll see some of their cars and probably be able to get a few stickers.

If you head out Saitama way you could pay a visit to Garage Saurus but again dont expect much in the way of purchasable items.

If your in Osaka then head over to Autoselect..pretty friendly crew and a few bits and pieces and you might be able to grab a tower bar at slightly discount price.

My advice, do some research where you want to go, grab a car and hit the road and hit as many places as you can and you may get lucky . Being able to speak the language helps big time in getting access to workshops but be friendly and you never know.

If when your in Osaka you want to do a really cool day or overnight trip then head over Wakayama and go to a place called Koyasan (http://eng.shukubo.net/)

There is some serious Japanese history there with burial area of some of the most famous Japanese samurai and royal family members and most famous Japanese people.

One place that bugger all people know about let alone visit is the Nissan Shrine which is located in the main burial area. You can get the train or bus to here quite easily but the mountain road is fun to drive !!

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

I'm actually looking at setting up a couple of tours each year for the big shows events with visits to factories, workshops and the auctions and being able to purchase and ship goods back to Oz. Over the years of living in Japan I've got a very good rapport with a lot of the workshop owners and have have discussed with them bringing over tour groups which they would try to have merchandise available. Probably would be Nismo Festival (if it gets going again) Tsukuba Time attack period and Tokyo Auto Salon , Osaka Messe period with options to go snowboarding/sking as I have a ski lodge up in the snow.

Anyway good luck and just hunt around and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Yes thanks for that! I'm going to check out nismo omori again, I'll have someone that speaks Japanese with me so maybe ill have some better luck! Also going to check out Toyota megaweb, but by the sounds of it ill be wasting my time trying anything else. I might check out up garage though, is it all used parts? What do they sell exactly?

Up garage sell new and used, from marital aid looking gearknobs to complete turbos and everything in between. Just depends what stock they have in at the time at the particular shop you go to. I don't really understand their pricing though as some things seem quite cheap whereas others are overpriced.

Jimmy, I was initially denied entrance to the Nismo omori workshop too. With the little amount of Japanese I spoke at the time, I was able to have a little conversation with Takayuki san. By showing interest in their products and making a few purchases and getting the mrs to seduce him, we were allowed in.

But I think what made him change his mind was asking if I was allowed to take some pics of the workshop and taking an interest in the cars in there. Try to go during a quiet time as well, because he had a quick peek outside to check that nobody was around and proceeded to lock the front door and guided us to the workshop.

Hope that helps.

Fact is everyone goes to Japan thinking that workshops etc will have loads of things for sale and fact is that's a myth.

Japanese auto shops hardly keep much paraphernalia in stock and generally only bring it out for the big auto shows.

My advice is sit down and make a list of auto shops you would like to visit and grab a rental car and spend a couple of days checking them out.

Don't go in asking to look around the workshop, just be friendly and you may get lucky.

Mike's advice on Up Garage is way off track. Sorry but if they didn't know what they are doing then how do they have a successfull chain of stores around the country and are probably the largest seller of used parts to the general public.

Up Garage is where lots of Japanese go for used parts. I think Mike was unlucky and just hit the wrong shop. You need to head to their bigger stores and be carefull which one as some are totally motorbike specific. It pays to go online to their web page andsearch for parts your looking for and go to those particular shops that are holding stock.

In Tokyo , Yokohama area's you could try Mines and Midori shops as both are super friendly and Uchinaga-san at Midori, if not busy will more than likey show you around or at least let you poke your nose around.

Mines welcome foreigners but don't expect much in the way of purchasable stock at either shops.

Hit Nismo for whatever Nismo gear your lucky to find on the way.

Head out to Narita area and visit RE Amemiya. You find GTR gear there but they have some flaming cool cars.

Whip down to Chiba from there and hit "Crystal" which has mainly new parts at slightly discounted prices and sale priced items and a few used parts as well.

From there you could visit Top Secret as its just down the road but don't expect to see Smokey and don't expect much in the way of parts and goods. You'll see some of their cars and probably be able to get a few stickers.

If you head out Saitama way you could pay a visit to Garage Saurus but again dont expect much in the way of purchasable items.

If your in Osaka then head over to Autoselect..pretty friendly crew and a few bits and pieces and you might be able to grab a tower bar at slightly discount price.

My advice, do some research where you want to go, grab a car and hit the road and hit as many places as you can and you may get lucky . Being able to speak the language helps big time in getting access to workshops but be friendly and you never know.

If when your in Osaka you want to do a really cool day or overnight trip then head over Wakayama and go to a place called Koyasan (http://eng.shukubo.net/)

There is some serious Japanese history there with burial area of some of the most famous Japanese samurai and royal family members and most famous Japanese people.

One place that bugger all people know about let alone visit is the Nissan Shrine which is located in the main burial area. You can get the train or bus to here quite easily but the mountain road is fun to drive !!

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

I'm actually looking at setting up a couple of tours each year for the big shows events with visits to factories, workshops and the auctions and being able to purchase and ship goods back to Oz. Over the years of living in Japan I've got a very good rapport with a lot of the workshop owners and have have discussed with them bringing over tour groups which they would try to have merchandise available. Probably would be Nismo Festival (if it gets going again) Tsukuba Time attack period and Tokyo Auto Salon , Osaka Messe period with options to go snowboarding/sking as I have a ski lodge up in the snow.

Anyway good luck and just hunt around and don't be afraid to ask questions.

dont mean to hijack this thread, but i'd be keen on a tour that u mention. also where/when do u recommend going skiing in jp.....trying to determine if i shoud do queenstown again or jp

Gifu/Nagano is the best area for snow. Apart from the fact it is on Honshu (the main island with Tokyo, Osaka etc) it was where Japan held the winter olympics.

I have been to 3 places and recommend these 2:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/resortdetail.php?resid=315 smaller place and I think it a bit cheaper than some other places, bench seat chair lift

http://www.g-jmt.com/takasu/eng/ bigger place with enclosed cabin lift, my favourite of the three

The other place I went to was still ok but the buildings (entrance/restaurant, rental shop etc) are separate and on the slope which makes it a hassle and time consuming to move between them.

Edited by *LOACH*

S

Gifu/Nagano is the best area for snow. Apart from the fact it is on Honshu (the main island with Tokyo, Osaka etc) it was where Japan held the winter olympics.

I have been to 3 places and recommend these 2:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/resortdetail.php?resid=315 smaller place and I think it a bit cheaper than some other places, bench seat chair lift

http://www.g-jmt.com/takasu/eng/ bigger place with enclosed cabin lift, my favourite of the three

The other place I went to was still ok but the buildings (entrance/restaurant, rental shop etc) are separate and on the slope which makes it a hassle and time consuming to move between them.

Hey Loach sorry mate but I have to 100% disagree. The best snow for consistency and quality and massive dumps is Hokkaido by a country mile.

I've ridden and done heaps of back country riding all over Japan and I mean all over, main reason I moved to Japan was the snow and Hokkaido justs kills it compared to Honshu.

The Niseko area has the driest best quality powder bar Alaska and is easily accessed from Tokyo by a 90 min flight and return tickets for around $100 to Chitose. Then jump on the bus and pretty much your be dropped within walking distance of accommodation.

I lived there years before it became popular and for people looking for guarantee of good quality powder and loads of it there aint anywhere in Japan like it.

This season has been a machine up with super consistent snow and very big dumps. The ski areas up there are extremely user friendly and plenty on offer to the beginner punter to advanced rider.

My personal favourite areas in Japan are Hakkoda in Northern Honshu near Aomori but be warned its not for beginners as trails are barely marked but the back country riding is phenomenal. Another is Tenjindaira in the Minakami area but the hiking area is for advance riders only.

Nagano areas like Hakuba are good and get lots of snow but the ski patrol in these areas have become super strict and back country you need your wits about you as it avalanches and people have and do die there.

If your doing a snow trip then bang for buck and guarantee lots of snow and great quality then Hokkaido is the go. Yep Niseko gets busy but theres so many small resorts all over Hokkaido that are cheap and very uncrowded and easy to get to by train or bus but some of them get real cold with temps down under -25c.

If anyone wants or needs any info on snow trips to Japan or advice send me a message as happy to share info and can hook you up with cheap accomo ..

Went snowboarding in Nagano for a week. LOVED IT!! Plenty of ski mountains/resorts, and a lift pass for all 13(?) of them for 3 full days is about $130 AUD. Cheap as chips. Tonnes of powder everywhere, plenty of comfortable ski lodges & restaurants, off-piste snowboarding which I thought was second-to-none (have also been snowboarding in Switzerland, France and the US), but Marcus is right, get busted here and kiss your lift pass goodbye.

Marcus I may have been unlucky with the Up garage I went to but I was being ushered around to all the workshops in kansai by an employee of one such workshop, who first warned me of the calibre of parts they stocked before i got there. His sentiment was also shared by the folks at Auto Select, Signal Auto and Global Auto (when discussing where they sourced parts from locally).......So perhaps it's really just luck of the draw with them. Sometimes utter crap, sometimes you get something good for a bargain. All i saw was stock beat-up parts for various cars (nothing for GTRs), cheap/tacky rims and tyres, and some other small bits and pieces (I saw 1 well priced jasma exhaust for an S15 in good condition, and 1 very underpriced nismo LSD also for an S15 - no idea what condition it was in though).

Today I learnt that nismo omori doesn't exist any more!

Looks like it has been relocated to Yokohama.

LOL it does exist and it's still called Nismo Omori Factory though it's no longer located in Omori. All the signs at the new site still say Nismo Omori Factory. Go figure hahaha