SAU Community

Wheel/rim Cleaner

Can anyone recommend a good rim cleaner?

I tried the non acid meguiars stuff cause its on special at super cheap, but it didnt clean anything, may as well brush my teeth with it. I might try the normal stuff they have if its still on special

Anyone got any recommendations? hopefully at a good price as im a tight bastard and im not a professional by any stretch of the term, so I just want something decent that does the job

Megiars non-acid is more gentle for polished, chrome or aluminium wheels, etc. "All Wheel Cleaner" has a bit more bite and is fine for painted factory wheels.

I've also tried Autoglym Clean Wheels (pretty good) and P21S Gel (very good but pricey). Megiars Wheel Brightener is probably the strongest one I have tried so far, but only comes in bulk trade packs and is a special order from most "walk in" auto shops

I use whatever is suitable for the job - usually the weakest possible cleaner, just to be safe. Also, the whole spray on/ hose off thing that some companies advertise is rubbish, unless you use a high pressure cleaner, elbow grease will still be required

Can anyone recommend a good rim cleaner?

I tried the non acid meguiars stuff cause its on special at super cheap, but it didnt clean anything, may as well brush my teeth with it. I might try the normal stuff they have if its still on special

Anyone got any recommendations? hopefully at a good price as im a tight bastard and im not a professional by any stretch of the term, so I just want something decent that does the job

glad i'm not the first person to say it.

was trying to clean my LMGT4s, used that cos it is 'gentle' but honestly i don't think it even would clean my hands...

I would also suggest to use a nice tar remover on the wheels as normal wheel cleaner wont touch it. Most wheels will have tar spots on them, especially on the inside barrel.

Once clean, seal them with a suitable product so they are easier to clean in the future. I just use normal carwash on mine now, after sealing them with Chemical Guys Wheel Guard

Hey Mate,

I have been using the AMMO range.

They have just released a new tire regimen and its fantastic.

I have some pics here of a 2006 Hilux.

I will try and get you some pics up soon.

Here is a video from Larry using the products

www.ammony.com

What are you wanting to clean - face , barrel or lip is it made of aluminium , steel

Is it polished lip , chrome face , painted lip and face , what finish do you have BE MORE SPECIFIC FFS .

I use Megauires Aluminium polishing cream with a polishing cone for lips

any spray on products do not clean heavy brake dust of at all and can damage paint

Best is use a sponge

Bowden's Own Wheely Clean is awesome!

Non acid, destroys brake dust, a light agitation with a wheel brush, then hose off. Also comes in a 2L or 5L refill.

Job done.

http://www.bowdensown.com.au/wheely-clean

Yep another vote for the Wheely Clean from Bowdens, used them on my wheels after a track day recently and came up really well.

Hey Mate,

I have been using the AMMO range.

They have just released a new tire regimen and its fantastic.

I have some pics here of a 2006 Hilux.

I will try and get you some pics up soon.

Here is a video from Larry using the products

www.ammony.com

The Bowdens Own Wheely Clean works in exactly the same way as the AMMO wheel cleaner.

Is there anywhere in Aus that does AMMO products, or do you just buy online?

What are you wanting to clean - face , barrel or lip is it made of aluminium , steel

Is it polished lip , chrome face , painted lip and face , what finish do you have BE MORE SPECIFIC FFS .

I use Megauires Aluminium polishing cream with a polishing cone for lips

any spray on products do not clean heavy brake dust of at all and can damage paint

Best is use a sponge

You're painting with a pretty broad brush saying "spray on products do not clean heavy brake dust" the one that I named, does exactly that!

Also I don't reckon washing wheels with a sponge is the way to go at all.

My wheels sometimes have little bits of tar or tiny bits of gravel stuck on them; if you wash the wheels with a sponge, the contaminants break away and get stuck on the sponge,

Then you end up with nice scratches on your polished or painted wheels.

Wheel brushes do a much better job.

Edited by Daleo

You're painting with a pretty broad brush saying "spray on products do not clean heavy brake dust" the one that I named, does exactly that!

Also I don't reckon washing wheels with a sponge is the way to go at all.

My wheels sometimes have little bits of tar or tiny bits of gravel stuck on them; if you wash the wheels with a sponge, the contaminants break away and get stuck on the sponge,

Then you end up with nice scratches on your polished or painted wheels.

Wheel brushes do a much better job.

WHY ARE YOUR GETTING GRAVEL STUCK ON YOUR WHEELS . No wonder your wheels get scratched DERP

I have always used alight detergent. I keep my wheels clean so I never need to give them a good scrub. But when they are washed and dried I use Mr Sheen to finish them off. My rims have polished dish and this stuff does a great job. Plus it is awesome for windows too.

I have always used alight detergent. I keep my wheels clean so I never need to give them a good scrub. But when they are washed and dried I use Mr Sheen to finish them off. My rims have polished dish and this stuff does a great job. Plus it is awesome for windows too.

Spot on mate i agree , dont let your rims get so dirty that the brake dust bakes on hard from water and heat . Sprays are totally unnecessary .

WHY ARE YOUR GETTING GRAVEL STUCK ON YOUR WHEELS . No wonder your wheels get scratched DERP

I'm not sure; I've never taken the time to ask the gravel what it's doing there... :rolleyes:

Hot weather, poor quality NSW roads; the list goes on.

I've been using this stuff, It's a foam spray type and its awesome and only $2.99 a can

imag0304ob.jpg

I reckon it's just as good, If not better then the more expensive big name stuff and at the price spray at will