SAU Community

Major Service - Gmb Water Pumps

Hey All,

So yeah, my car is like 30 000 km overdue for a major service, I should do it aye? LOL... (last night I cut off the A/C belt with a pair of scissors, it chewed itself up so bad it was flapping about)

Been surfing around the net and it seems there's a decent major kit on eBay for $300 delivered, comes with:

• OEM belt
  • OEM idler pulley
  • OEM tension pulley
  • OEM pulley spring
  • OEM crank seal
  • OEM cam seals
  • GMB Water Pump

Link: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-TIMING-BELT-SERVICE-KIT-SKYLINE-GTR-RB26-DETT-R32-R33-R34-N1-WATER-PUMP-/221052509700?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3377c19e04

For $300 it's a good deal, but what gets me is the GMB water pump.. it's made in Japan and I've searched it up, only a few people on the Toyota Camry forums have had issues but no one on this forum seems to have issues (according to the search).

Is it too good to be true for the price?

well then...just had a look at kudos motorsports, their water pump itself is ~250$ ? SO I'd err on the side of caution and say that this deal on ebay is too good to be true...unless all the belts etc really do cost peanuts.

personally I would only ever go genuine Nissan when it comes to water pumps. I had one of those 'protex' pumps which lasted only 20,000kms before it started to leak. the last thing you wanna go doing is replacing the timing belt again due to a shitty water pump.

quote me all you like; the original question was regarding gmb water pumps, i gave the opinion that they will go the distance. . have used them many times over twenty five years and i ask for that brand when im at my local parts store

as for the belts im not sure about AS I HAVNT USED THEM BEFORE

understand?

There is a different water pump, i think rb 20 has one hole different (very important).

Also...

I have been advised not to use an N1 pump as they dont pump well at lower revs, they are for racing.

At high revs they have less cavitation than standard.

Ps: the pump is made in Japan, that would be good enough for me, no question.

Edited by D.I.Y. Mik

There is a different water pump, i think rb 20 has one hole different (very important).

Also...

I have been advised not to use an N1 pump as they dont pump well at lower revs, they are for racing.

Also...

^^^ this! good quality japanese pumps. . not cheap n nasty taiwanese knockoffs

Generic water pumps generally make great blenders. No idea how good or bad the GMB one in question is though.

What about this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220472911339

Only $90~ more (including shipping) for a proper R33 GTST kit with a genuine water pump and is from an Australian seller that sponsors SAU.

Edited by BuuBox

It's only $9 per 10,000km... :)

Would you mind posting a picture of the GMB impeller when you get the pump? It's very difficult to find a picture of one online and it'd be interesting to compare between the GMB and the genuine Nissan.