SAU Community

Best Clutch For High Hp?

Can anyone give me an idea what clutches are out there that are strong enough to take 650hp but still be drivable around the street without lurching at the intersections. My gtr has a insane twin plate in it that the second u release the pedal the tiniest, the clutch fully engadges making town driving very uncomfortable. Ive been told the Nismo super coppermix clutch is meant to be really good (link below) but wondered if anyne has one an could tell me what its like, or any other suggestions of a clutch, I drive the car once a week if that. so having that insane twin set up, whatever it is, is too much.

Any help greatly appreciated :-)

http://www.nismo.co.jp/en/products/competition/clutch/sctwin.html

Its gotta be good to be Nismo :-) My car beig sent for new dyno after they've put a better fuel set up in the boot, an Im swapping ecu to hks fcon vpro, so gonna get the clutch done then, cant wait to see the results of it all

exactly! nismo ftw :) but yeah for streatablity nismo is said to be like a standard clutch, i have a tilton in mine and its a pig! gotta drop it at every set of lights haha

good luck with the build. got a members ride thread?

you can use a single plate clutch for over 1000hp applications, but wont be very streetable..

i talked to the gearbox engineer at rapisarda racing and he told me to go for a nice single plate clutch for my track car.
but any twin plate will be abit tougher to drive,but the nismo twin is easy as hell to drive even around town. was in a 260kw r33 with one in that and was heaps easy.

i had the same problem in my 33 its got a 2200lb rated billet twin plate. the second you lift off even a mm it would engage, my mechanic took a look bled the clutch and then adjusted the pedal till the biting point was ok

I used to have an Exedy twin and it was a pig in traffic and the pedal was a lot heavier than standard. I now use an ATS triple carbon clutch whick feels like a standard clutch to drive. They're also a lot lighter which makes it easier on gearbox synchros between gear changes! The only downside is that they're are fairly expensive, but if you can afford to run a 650hp RB then I guess you can afford one of these. Highly recommended!

http://www.nengun.com/ats/carbon-clutch

Edited by Never Enough

Thanks for the help guy :no:

Im happy to spend to money to get the best clutch for the job, what I want to be sure of is, it's not that the pedal is too hard to press, mine feels only a lil harder than factory, but the issue I have with the clutch is it fully engadges as soon as u release pedal the tiniest, so its great for launching, but not great at traffic lights, whih the car spends more time around town than a track, So with the ATS triple carbon clutch is it streetable in that sence, The Nismo clutch read up says its good for round town yet still tough enough to take the power.

The ATS clutch slips well but once it warms up it tends to grip harder so higher revs are required from a standstill start. If you search there's other members that have posted similar questions to yours. This should help you make your choice.

Thanks for the help guy :no:

Im happy to spend to money to get the best clutch for the job, what I want to be sure of is, it's not that the pedal is too hard to press, mine feels only a lil harder than factory, but the issue I have with the clutch is it fully engadges as soon as u release pedal the tiniest, so its great for launching, but not great at traffic lights, whih the car spends more time around town than a track, So with the ATS triple carbon clutch is it streetable in that sence, The Nismo clutch read up says its good for round town yet still tough enough to take the power.

I run a single plate that will take 650hp and is daily driven, very nice clutch.... A bit bitey on occasion but much better than a lot of aftermarket clutches...

single plate clutches because of the very nature that its just one plate..need harder springs to hold the power thus its heavier. Twin plates and so on increase the friction area by having multiple plates which engage progressively thus the springs can be lighter. however, once they engage, they engage. there is hardly any biting point.

Have only used ORC before so I cant comment on other brands...but I love the ORC twin plate :)

• 4 weeks later...

My STOCK '32 has a decent Twin plate in it.
Tad bitey, but thanks to being low release - I ain't gonna fry it by revving through the engagement zone.

Unlike my Subaru.
:unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a nismo coppermix twin comp edition in my 32 GTR and its superb! It did take a while to bed in as the competition one is a bit sticky but after some driving and a few launches its smooth as silk. It gives plenty of pedal travel and is easy to drive. I forget its even aftermarket... It's almost stock feeling.

Expect around $1800 for this one

• 2 weeks later...

Nismo C Spec coppermix. Been in my car for 7 years and never slipped. Drives awsome.

Coppermix twin spec C, love it, smooth takeoffs and very easy to use :D

I agree 100% with these two, drives like factory and holds well over 400 in stroker engines