SAU Community

Hids On An R33 S2

Is that the Morimoto Mini H1?

Here's how mine looks:

lowbeam.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

The dark streaks are caused by the outside lens and probably crap on the projector lens (which I should have cleaned). Crappy phone picture, but you can see the spread and even beam. My other set are better.

My R33 came with HID's, and i love em!

post-62143-0-62250600-1370492574_thumb.jpg

At first they light up a whiteish/blue colour, actually very nice. But when they warm up they have a yellow tinge. I don't mind that though, it keeps the cops away. Never had any attention towards my headlights.

They really help light up the night, even in the standard headlight housing. They even produce more light than my high beams i think!

That pic clearly shows how the reflector housings are no good for HIDs, hot and cold spots everywhere.

I have had HIDs in mine for years with the beam angled nearly all the way down.

Yeah they are niZmO_Man. Just waiting on the shrouds so i can put it all back together.

I did the same NYTSKY. Haven't been flashed since but the crap light distance is bugging me.

I really don't think it's that bad. It could have been before i cleaned the headlights a while ago (headlight cleaning kit with sandpaper, polish and protectant seal), but i love them now. The difference between this and my old R33 S1 is very big. You don't have to play around with this globe or that globe, just fixes the problem straight away.

I've driven behind many friends and family at night, and no one has complained about glare. It doesn't compare to those 4WD's that pull up behind you on a red light and blind the hell out of you whenever your head is facing one of the rear view mirrors.

I've also driven by cops numerous times at night with no problems.

I've seen approximately 0 police pull over a car for having badly aligned/glare-y headlights. I see around 3 cars a month flash someone, so 95% of drivers just cop it in the face (much like drivers behind slow cars not doing anything about it).

Your car is low on the front + alignment is pointing down a lot. Of course it will be brighter than standard halogen, but the distribution of the light is more important, especially when it rains.

The amount of glare I see on Sydney roads is too damn high! More cars = more people running HID kits in their halogen housings = more glare. Also, lots of (~30% of cars I see) have lights that point up, which then cop some bi-xenon goodness from me.

If you ever get a chance, go for a drive in an OEM HID equipped car (like series 3 R33) or a car that someone did a retrofit to. If you do ever change to HIDs, you won't go back! Lol

These exact ones. If you do make sure you get the right hand drive ones! Shrouds come with the kit.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MORIMOTO-MINI-H1-6-0-BIXENON-PROJECTORS-RHD-CLEAR-LENS-HID-H7-H4-RETROFITS-/261208782595?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd141b703

Or you could get them from TRS
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3181

I will loose some of that cut off and blue once the head light covers go on :(

Dayymmmm. That is a very sweet retrofit right there. My hat goes off to you. Out of curiosity, how did you separate the lens from the housing? I've always been sceptical about placing a full plastic headlight in an oven :unsure:

HAHAA really the sun??? it's winter right now, no amount of sun in Sydney is going to heat up plastic....maybe a heat gun will do?

wow they're not as expensive as i thought they'd be...thanks for the links mate will definitely look into getting these done some time.

You can use a heat gun, or a hair drier if there's a decent one laying around (your mum/sister/missus will get the shits though, so be prepared :P)

The HID retrofit has become a lot cheaper since Morimoto started making their own. Otherwise, you would have to source factory HID headlights.