SAU Community

Hids On An R33 S2

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome job on the retro.

Here is one i did on my pathfinder a few months ago

Morimoto minis / Xb LED angel eyes / gattling shrouds / digital ballasts / 5000k morimoto bulbs

Have since painted reflector bowls black to reduce light scatter.

post-22161-13732565334801_thumb.jpg

Is it only the r33 series 3 that came with factory xenon's? Doe's anyone know the price of the series3 headlights. I need new headlights for my series 2 gtst as I hit a bird and it broke 3 of the 4 plastic brackets that the grille clips to. :( other wise there perfect. So I'll just buy a new set. Or 2nd handy's with the retrofit.

Cheers Josh.

They're not cheap!

Import monster is selling a set of S3's for $1700 cash only - brand new - that is one of the best prices I have seen for a while. Have seen as high as $2k used.

A retro would be much much cheaper and probably give a better output if done right.

Is it only the r33 series 3 that came with factory xenon's? Doe's anyone know the price of the series3 headlights. I need new headlights for my series 2 gtst as I hit a bird and it broke 3 of the 4 plastic brackets that the grille clips to. :( other wise there perfect. So I'll just buy a new set. Or 2nd handy's with the retrofit.

Cheers Josh.

GTR headlights in S2 GTST wont fit properly due to different guard shapes.

The difference is that all 34 GTRs had xenon headlights. The GT-t was also available with xenon, and those lights fit GTRs too. So much greater supply.

As opposed to the R33, where xenons were only on the series 3 GTR. Demand > supply= high price

GTR headlights in S2 GTST wont fit properly due to different guard shapes.

The guards are the same, its the front bumper, grille and bonnet that dont line up properly.

Yeah alignment not too bad. Takes a bit if fine tuning and sometimes the projectors rotate a bit as I had to cut off the locating rings as they were in a weird spot. But I'll be opening the lights up for the third time soon to make some small changes - it's a learning curve that's for sure!

I'd be stuffed without the rubbe butyl sealant from TRS.com - makes it a 5 minute job to open up the headlights and not a single leak.

R33 S2 headlights brand new for $800? Wow I never saw them under $1k!!! Usually around $1200 when I was looking. As luck would have it, I had a prang with a Hilux about 2 years ago and the headlights bonnet etc had to be replaced so $500 insurance excess fee got me brand spankin new headlights :)

To give an update on my last post buying the Osram nightbreaker plus globes for high beam, low beam, and fog lights.... they work pretty good! WAY better illumination than the bloody Diamond vision globes I had before, as you'd expect. The colour is a nice clean white too. Not bluish at all, but not too yellow, a beautiful slightly warm but clean white. I took her for a spin last night at 2am (eeeeep cops!) to test the lights out and it was such a refreshing change to be able to see where im going haha! The 4000k LED parkers are good too.

The colour tone is a MUCH cleaner white light in person but anyhow here is a pic:

20130712 222052 1   Copy

What I did notice, now that I have globes that actually light stuff up properly, is random white spots bouncing out I assume just due to the reflector lens.

See pic below:

20130712 221834 1

Lastly, with these globes... using high beam doesn't seem to make much difference as the reach of the low beam is much improved. I could maybe elevate the angle of high beam a bit more to see if makes much difference. But yeah, happy with these lights for now.

Edited by Xizor

• 4 years later...

Okay so I decided to install 2.5" Bi Xenon Projectors, COB LED RGB Angel Eyes & Red Devil Eyes in my Series 2...here's how I went.

• So here's the original headlight, looks pretty average, lens definitely needs a clean! :mellow:
Spoiler

20171106_154909.thumb.jpg.754514e557b2025c1af02f9597f80db4.jpg

• Next up, heat gun set to 360c to heat the original glue in the headlight (took about 4-5 minutes until it was good to pull apart). Be careful when pulling it apart as too much pressure and force can snap the mounting tabs seeing as they are only plastic.
  • Now that the lens is off, used an Etch Primer and Satin Matte Black paint from SupercheapAuto to paint the low beam reflector black as my shrouds for my projectors were black.
Spoiler

20171107_111057_HDR.thumb.jpg.4304c816e6e5bc6b1735b0b4b8a7a7e3.jpg

• Had to do a bit of cutting on the reflector to be able to fit the back of the projector where it screws in, also removing the little 'nubs' on the back of the reflector as they get in the way when trying to mount the projector.
  • Then fit the projector inside, glue on the Angel Eyes, make sure all the wiring is running out the back so you can connect it later! (Also at this point you might want to test that the projectors work, so plug in a H1 bulb and admire) :9_innocent:
Spoiler

20171107_122815.thumb.jpg.d7a0680c7ed9dd1e1346c2fc02a012f2.jpg

• Next it was time to heat up the glue again and seal the lenses back on, be sure to put the screws and clips all back in the way they were!
Spoiler

20171107_130012.thumb.jpg.5277b38b02a7152896ba9773a6362cbc.jpg

• Then it was a matter of mounting the lights back on the car, wiring up the HIDs and Angel Eyes which were connected to ignition so they're used as DRL!
Spoiler

20171107_151051.thumb.jpg.35b50a395812eb27e1a5c03b4597ef85.jpg

• From here, you want to adjust your 'cutoff' line for your projectors (can search tutorials online), as you don't want to blind oncoming cars and get attention from the boys in blue :492_oncoming_police_car:

And there you have it! I think the results speak for themselves, it's definitely worth it and takes about a day to do so! I am yet to test them for night driving and see the difference from HIDs in the standard reflector :4_joy:

END RESULT:

IMG_20171107_194928.thumb.jpg.f4fa079caa1efaca016f201a300cf881.jpg

Edited by bistratoaie
  • Like 1