SAU Community

Intake Decision

Hey all, im on the look for an intake for me 04 V35.
just want opinions on which way i should lean on, CAI or Short ram?
which will be the better option or are they give just as much gain.
are the pop chargers any good?

Just want opinion short ram vs cai

You haven't really addressed the questions.. 'what are you trying to acheive'?

If you want the most 'intake noise', go with a pod. If you want it to be legal, go with a CAI. If you want it to look stock, go with the uprev airbox and Z-Tube.

As already mentioned, if you are after performance gains, you are looking in the wrong place, unless you just want the placebo effect of more intake noise?

^^^ AsM speaks the truth.

I put in a HKS drop-in filter and cut a hole in the bottom of the airbox near the front, and ducted air from the right hand side front of the bumper up connected to the hole in the bottom of the airbox.

Pods achieve quite the opposite - sucking very hot air from inside the engine bay into your engine = bad.

I put in a stillen Hi Flow kit, its a z tube k&n pod filter and a stollen box with a vortex ring that fits in place of factory. Still looks sorta factory doesn't have alot if pod noise but does give gains. Once I have the MREV 2 bottom intake and 5/16 spacer on it should give great gains without being cop bait.

yea might consider that sheepe, because i want the standard look as well to keep the police away lol. because i was considering a cai, but was worried that might attract the police when they open the bonnet :S

I put in a stillen Hi Flow kit, its a z tube k&n pod filter and a stollen box with a vortex ring that fits in place of factory. Still looks sorta factory doesn't have alot if pod noise but does give gains. Once I have the MREV 2 bottom intake and 5/16 spacer on it should give great gains without being cop bait.

why did you get a mrev bottom for a non rev up motor?

every single vendor and mechanic I asked told me that getting a mrev2 with DE motor is a total waste of money. You will gain 2-3hp MAX...

Think the risk is low, but it's possible. There have been times when I have been driving and thought 'shit that puddle is deep' - but usually that's about .5 sec before I go through it - get me?

Just get a z tube and a nice panel filter. Almost every thing I have read has said pod/cai make no diff or lose power - and the one reliable test I saw where it gained a couple of bhp up top was purely at the expense of the bottom end power - and how often do you spend driving above 5k rpm ?

Next.

People with a cai, what the chances of getting your engine Hydro locked?

Does the water have to be really deep for it to happen?

Water would have to be deep enough to at least submerge the pod.

The Nismo intake has a secondary foam breather for such instances although it would only really come into effect in case of floods.