SAU Community

What Cams Would You Choose?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your car run out of puff at 7g because of the Standard cams? Or are the -5's big enoug to give you power all the way to 8g.

No, it still pulls but I just dont seem to need to go much more before changing gears, with the -10s and cams it was ideal to gear down to 2nd gear at 100kph (has PPG gear set) and take it to around 8500rpm before hitting 3rd.

Now at 100kph it feels better to gear down to 3rd gear were it pulls hard and smooth, less work on engine.

^ missed earlier post... Stock cams, -5s... I went to 8,500rpm day in, day out too. Didn't nose over heavily.

My dyno reading only showed up to 7200rpm , I noticed a slight drop just after 7150rpm.

Got 8500rpm no problem, just pulls nice changing from 7

^ missed earlier post... Stock cams, -5s... I went to 8,500rpm day in, day out too. Didn't nose over heavily.

but was it still making power......more rev's don't show power. The only time you should need an over rev is if your gear ratio's are set up wrong for the track.

But you already knew that because your no simpleton aye!!!

• 3 weeks later...

anyone know what max lift is on stock 26 head?

With a reduced base circle, I had jun 264 9.7mm, fit in the stock head. This would be close to the maximum lift before relieving was required.

Anyone know of larger lift cams to fit stock head?

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hijack this thread.

I am in a similar situation with TS, and I was recommended the Type A cams instead of the Type R cams.

Anyone has any experience with the Type A cams.

I'll be running on 87mm custom pistons and conrod with HKS GTss turbos.

I am also looking for low-mid range performance as it is more suitable for my usage.

Thanks.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

I am in a similar situation with TS, and I was recommended the Type A cams instead of the Type R cams.

Anyone has any experience with the Type A cams.

I'll be running on 87mm custom pistons and conrod with HKS GTss turbos.

I am also looking for low-mid range performance as it is more suitable for my usage.

Thanks.

I've seen on my 34 the difference from going to type Rs from type Bs and it was a fair bit, same peak power but every thing happened 800 rpm sooner give or take

Type A's have a 256 degree exhaust IIRC.

Want low end? Type R's.

Make sure you post a graph !

I'll try to remember!!

I was looking at rhdjapan and I saw that they have a package for the poncams with adjustable cam pulleys.

funny thing is, the so-called special package is more expensive if I were to buy the cams and cams puley seperately. wonder why they calling it a special package ....

I am now using the oem cam pulleys. so should i be getting the adjustable cam pulleys too? what's the benefit other than the ease to adjust and the lighter weight?

Thanks

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I am in a very similar situation.

Has anyone had any experience or know of anyone who has used adjustable cam gears on aftermarket cams?

I am also looking at a cam change on my car but am in two minds about whether to have a shot at dialing in the existing Tomei cams (Type B) or just ditching them and going back to stock and dial those in instead.

The challenge I have is that the HKS2530's I am running are a bit laggy and, short of going -5's, I need to do something to bring my torque back down the rev range and bring boost on a little earlier.

I can see three options for me...

1) Keep Type B cams but install adjustable cam gears

2) Go Type R cams and adjustable cam gears

3) Go stock cams and adjustable cam gears

Thoughts?

I will post up a dyno graph of my existing set up tomorrow.