SAU Community

RB25DET: Changing the Spark Plugs

Anquetil

hey guys

the coil packs seem to be stuck in ??

i tried pulling them out with a tiny bit of force, not game enough to use more force.

for some reason they dont seem to want to come out

anyone have the same issue

engine - rb20det

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
would also like the answer to this as im trying to change mine this weekend

cheers

I just changed mine after reading this thread, very helpful!

You'll need a 16mm deep socket for the spark plugs, a 3" or more extension will help out as well.

well changed them yesterday, everthying was going sweet untill i overtightned one and cracked the ceramic. but after driving around everywhere trying to find iridiums was a PITA. then getting someone to gap to .8 all good now. just a quick question i bought BCPR5EIX-11 gapped to .8mm now everywhere i went asking for one they all told me i shouldnt be running them gapped to .8 bla bla bla 1.1 is sufficient. what you guys reckon?

• 3 weeks later...

Great post... what plugs are people suggesting for our stagea's?

What I have found looking around so far:

BCPR5EIX-11

NGK iridiums to suit rb20det

Spark Plugs - NGK BCPR7ES (copper, gapped to 0.8 mm)

Spark plugs (high speed) = NGK BCPR7ES (copper, gapped to 0.8 mm) ~$20 per set of 6.

Low speed = 1 range hotter, traffic = 2 ranges hotter.

NGK PFR5G-11

Edited by ant0ny

Step 4. Disconnect the loom plug (may vary in appearance). Then just move 2 disconnected looms off to the side. You don't have to remove the 2 circled screws.

loom.jpg

How do you disconnect the the loom plug? I can't get it off and I don't want to break anything!

Also, do you have to remove the piping (for the cold air) that runs over the head to get to the spark plugs? The pictures do not show a top view shot of the engine bay with the "Nissan" cover off. Or do you simply slide it out underneath the piping?

• 11 months later...
well changed them yesterday, everthying was going sweet untill i overtightned one and cracked the ceramic. but after driving around everywhere trying to find iridiums was a PITA. then getting someone to gap to .8 all good now. just a quick question i bought BCPR5EIX-11 gapped to .8mm now everywhere i went asking for one they all told me i shouldnt be running them gapped to .8 bla bla bla 1.1 is sufficient. what you guys reckon?

0.8 is fine ive gone smaller depending on condition of ur coilpacks, i would never run 1.1 unless i have a beefed ignition sys. otherwise ull find it will mis under higher boost levels 15psi plus on stock 15year old coils.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...